Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just put a deposit down on my first Subaru 2013 OB 3.6R Limtied.. As usual the dealer is trying to upsell on protection packages and extended warranties. I have never bothered with these on any previous vehicles but I have never had a Subaru.

I use it for work about 25000 kilometeres a year and expect to keep it for 5 years when I will trade on a new one.

So what are your thoughts on,
extended warranty worth it with Subies?
Undercoat and Paint pretection? Are Subies known for rust and weak paint?

I'm in Edmonton,Canada so a long winter with a bit salt on the roads.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Forget abt undercoating.. It is a rip off with today sheet metal/metal technology...I drive on salts filled Chicago roads for yrs, even my '93 Honda doesn't rust(unlike car in the 80's and before). Sheet metal technology has gone a long way...

As far as extended warranty, it is all up to you...it is like to buy Life insurance or not...If you decide to buy, shop around (Here is a good souce).Don;t let Finance mgr at the dealer force you to buy on the spot when you pick up the car... Never take their initial offer price on the extended warranty. Personally, I Never buy ext warranty except for 1 car in my life. (ANd lost money of that too)

Subaru is a pretty reliable car. Only thing that tarnish their reputation is the Head gasket on their H-4 engine from 1998-2003... They seems to have resolve that (at least acocrding to some folks here).
The H-6 engine really don;t have many (major/chronic) issue.

congratulations and Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. In that case I will do what I always do and skip all that stuff!

(and put the money towards better tires)

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
2 Posts
I sell Subaru's in Dallas, TX.
I always advise getting the ext warranty.
Almost 7 years of selling Subarus, and I've come to realizr that it is an ownership experience issue.
Moreso, the cost of the Subaru warranty, compared to 95% of cars or more is relativley less.

As for the paint protection and undercarriage etc...don't do it, not worth it.
I hope that helps!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Consumer Reports doesn’t recommend extended warranties for new cars. But they don’t recommend extended warranties for anything period. They do however suggest that if you choose to buy an extended warranty, that it is a better choice to purchase the manufactures warranty over an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Buy the extended warranty later - the one sold to you while signing the paper work is the highest profit item the dealer tries to sell you.

It goes like this - Say "No- No - NO - NO!!!!!!! And you got it No!

Then Shop around and yes even the Subaru backed warranty can be purchased after the fact.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
By the way the newest twist to these warranty pitches ie hard sells in the finance office is what Hyundia calls the Elecronics package warranty! Not kidding they tried to sell my co-worker one. Her response was classic. she said "Oh wow you mean the electronics are not covered by the standard warranty and they are of poor enough quality I should purchase a special coverage for them? She said the finance manager nearly tripped over his tongue trying to back peddle from that one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the approved call today hooray! then got the call that I have to go to my third color choice,Booo!

But at least I'll have my Subie soon, and I told business manager to get stuffed on the extra coatings/warranty crap ( diplomatically of course ).

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
I do not beleive in extended warranties, with the exception of lawn mowers which I tend to beat the crap out of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mathematics statistics tell auto companies there is money to be made selling extended warranties. The numbers show the bottom line will be less money going out to pay repair claims than comes in from customers that purchase warranties. But like the lottery some will win and others will lose.
Is there a correct answer to purchase or not to purchase; only each individual customer can correctly choose! And then, time will answer the question.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,614 Posts
I took the extended warranty just because the CVT was new and new models often have bugs that need to worked out...in this case for me it was the dreaded shaker issue. Glad I had it.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
I took the extended warranty just because the CVT was new and new models often have bugs that need to worked out...in this case for me it was the dreaded shaker issue. Glad I had it.
I am from Edmonton as well and just bought mine a couple of weeks ago. The manufact warranty is 3 years bumper to bumper and 5 years for engine and transmission. If you are worried about the CVT, the extended warranty only gave me 1 extra year, for aprox 2,000. I did get the undercoating just for the poor weather we get all year. I know the steel comes protected from the factory but i plan to keep this car for at least 15 years ... I can see rocks etc scratching the paint / galvanizing or whatever protection they have. Unless it was Stainless, i can see even their undercoat to be any trustworthy warranty ... Steel is steel and eventually rusts out.
On my Tundra i did buy the extended warranty, but they included about 8 oil changes with it and got a prety good deal for it. They only did a minor repair for it ... A steering fluid hose was rubbing on something and it had to be replaced.
If you have the money, the warranty isn't worth it but if not and something happens ... Usually it doesn't, but the more i read about problems with Subarus on this forum the more i get concerned.
Anyhow ... Congrats on the new car ... I was lokimg at the 6 cyl engine and i think you might be better off, after all, but we are lots into city driving and got it for the ground clearance and 4x4 for the winter. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The latest data compiled by global market intelligence firm R.L. Polk & Co has found that Americans are now holding onto their new vehicles for a record 71.4 months. On the used vehicle side, that interval has risen to 49.9 months, a figure that also represents a new high mark. Collectively, the ownership period currently stands at 57 months, up from about 38 months back in 2002.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input, I have never purchased an extended warranty before and have never found myself regretting it. If perhaps something bad happened I can afford to pay for it and essentially self insure, and then move on to another manufacturer. I b elieve if an extended warranty is needed for a manufacturers line of vehicles then I should be looking for something else of higher quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am in the market for a new car. I currently drive a 2001 toyota camry so clearly i keep my cars a long time. I am looking at either the VW Tiguan or the Subaru Crosstrek. I have never owned a crossover before and would be interested to hear thoughts.
thanks

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i
22 Posts
Seems pointless to buy an extended warranty if you are only going to keep the vehicle for 5 years, especially if the Outback already comes with a 5 year powertrain warranty. Just my .02.

If I'm not mistaken the Subaru corrosion warranty goes beyond 5 years so that would be pointless as well.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
The CVT on the 2013's have a 10 year/100k warranty. Below from the dealership I purchased my 2013 from.

I just found out that the CVT transmission on the Subaru carries a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. PLEASE do not change out the fluid on the transmission. It is a closed case and if you change out the fluid before 60,000 miles, it WILL void the warranty. Some quick lube places may try to convince you to change out the transmission fluid. Do not do it as it will hurt you in the long run.
The way the transmission is designed, you should be able to go to around 110,000 miles before you have to have the fluid replaced.
If you do not have the CVT transmission, check with our service department before having your fluids replaced. They will let you know the factory recommendations.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the call, OB showed up early and I get to pick her up tomorrow night, giddee up!
Now gotta speedp the tire swap appointment and the 3m front chip protection. They sand our snowy roads here with what looks like small boulders!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts