Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a new grill (undecided with how they fit the Outback though) and headlight bezels as well. Then get them all painted at the same time. Maybe give those nasty mirrors a new coat of paint as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just not sure on the fitment of the grill.... Here's the gap it leaves.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
154 Posts
****! I want a wing!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not a fan of the JDM Legacy B4 Grilles though, I'd get the chrome Legacy grill and just leave the center part chrome...

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I've been casually looking for a spoiler for long time now. But I can't justify spending $100+ for one. I'm hoping to find one in the local import junkyard before too long.

Thought about a new grill, I don't really like the OEM one... but that gap... ehhhh.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't get the JDM grill (I like the one in my first two pics). I was just showing the gap you get on the Outback.

There's a wing on ebay right now. The guy has 'make offer' on it. I think he counter-offered for $55 + $25 shipping.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's tempting to get one of those fiberglass grills and have someone do some work to add more to the bottom. But how much do I really want to spend on parts like this? :-/

It's going to cost enough to get this stuff painted.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's tempting to get one of those fiberglass grills and have someone do some work to add more to the bottom. But how much do I really want to spend on parts like this? :-/

I really like the one in the first picture...

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I'm just trying to make this car look a tad less "family". :)
Yeah, that's why I did the dark housing headlights, HID fogs, and the 5 spoke wheels LOL.

I have a thread for mine on the W-body forums (Grand Prix, Impala, etc) and one of my best friends posted "I think the awesomeness of those wheels takes it out of the soccer mom category". I get teased by those guys for driving my lesbian mom-mobile. But I love it!

I'm thinking tint is in the near future for mine as well. Maybe towards the end of summer.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've even thought about painting the factory grill body color.

I posted about this thing before... I'm thinking this could be kinda cool. Painted body color. The space in front of the moon roof is nearly the same size as this piece. The width is between the roof racks and the height would be lower than the roof racks. Also with the angle of the roof the lights would aim slightly downward. I don't think they would project that far ahead (just an observation, for off-road use only).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOF-TOP-4x4-OFFROAD-SUV-TRUCK-CLEAR-FOG-LIGHTS-BAR-w-BULBS-WIRING-SWITCH-/400477821136?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3e5698d0&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of quick photoshops. I'm kinda diggin it. I'm thinking about venguards as well (like in the last picture here) and possibly painting them body color.

hmmmm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
Why not mount them on the crossbar? That way you can put them up, or take them down easily. You won't have holes drilled in you roof that may leak inside. You won't have patch work to do if you decide you want to change it.

Brainstorming is good. But you have to consider what you may want later. Maybe you get a kayak next year and the light assembly is in the way. Maybe you start getting ribbed by your buddies because they are A holes. Maybe you could get extra crossbars and have a different set of lights that are interchangeable to the car and just have a common plug; slim lights one week, 8" HID fogs the next, then switch to LED.

Anything is feasible. Your good with PhotoShop, so keep practicing. Its better than blowing money and time only to come to changing or ditching it altogether. Its like repairs. Find a solution, then spend the money.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not mount them on the crossbar? That way you can put them up, or take them down easily. You won't have holes drilled in you roof that may leak inside. You won't have patch work to do if you decide you want to change it.

Brainstorming is good. But you have to consider what you may want later. Maybe you get a kayak next year and the light assembly is in the way. Maybe you start getting ribbed by your buddies because they are A holes. Maybe you could get extra crossbars and have a different set of lights that are interchangeable to the car and just have a common plug; slim lights one week, 8" HID fogs the next, then switch to LED.

Anything is feasible. Your good with PhotoShop, so keep practicing. Its better than blowing money and time only to come to changing or ditching it altogether. Its like repairs. Find a solution, then spend the money.
Good advice....
I like the look of light bar thing, I think it might be kinda cool and interesting to have on the car painted body color. I thought about mounting lights on the cross bars too. And that would probably be more functional as well.

I don't think it would interfere with anything mounted on the rack, it's pretty low profile. I'd only need to drill a single hole for the wiring, but I'm not too worried about it leaking. And if anyone said anything about it I'd just blind them with all the lighting. :-D

I going to order it up, a friend said he'd buy it from me if I decided I didn't like it. My biggest concern is the angle of the roof. It would rarely get used anyway, it's mostly for the look. I will admit. :)

I think I'm going to do ventshades and paid them body color too.

I've considered taking out that tacky wood interior and having that painted at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
Home Depot has good ABS plastic paint with a large variety of shades. I actually found the lighter tan for the A pillar there. I don't recall what the name of the color was. Just don't get the cheap stuff. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts

I couldn't imagine my car without the wing. It just seems to "complete" the design of the car's exterior. On the grill issue, I am going to strip the chrome off and paint it black. I don't like chrome at all. Then, the only chrome on the car will be the emblems, and I can deal with that

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
On the grill issue, I am going to strip the chrome off and paint it black.
Hope you've got a lot of patience. Mine was already working on bubbling and peeling, and it was still a pretty tedious operation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts