Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 OBXT. 136K miles.
Driving home from work this morning the CEL came on after less than a mile of driving.
Fortunately, had my scanner with me. P0021 cam position bank 2.
Car has a tendency to sometimes idle a bit rough when cold. That has been going on forever. Other than that, no other issues. Plenty of oil in the crankcase. Regular oil changes with synthetic.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When was the timing belt replaced?
According to the sticker, 6 years and 50k miles ago. I suspect it was just the belt, and not a full kit, but I don't know for sure.
I did remove the inspection cover to check the belt. Looks good, and the alignment marks are still visible. If there's an issue in that department, it's with the hardware.
I've got a slight seal leak in there that I had been planning to deal with, and do a full timing kit at that time. But I was hoping to stretch it another year. Now I'm wondering if maybe the tensioner is starting to go.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should mention that I took another test drive last night after clearing the code. It came back, and the engine was fully warmed at the time.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Do you have the ability to log data?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
In RomRaider, I can monitor the AVCS sensors, engine load, timing advance, total timing .... things like that. I would try and monitor anything timing or engine load related.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In RomRaider, I can monitor the AVCS sensors, engine load, timing advance, total timing .... things like that. I would try and monitor anything timing or engine load related.
I can get fuel trim and ignition timing, but not much else of value.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
I can get fuel trim and ignition timing, but not much else of value.

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / RomRaider Download, get a VAG cable, log data, upload the data here and we look at it.

When you get the cable and RR installed on a laptop, let me know and we'll go from there. There is a possibility though that oil residue is screwing with the cam sensor if the oil is getting slung up onto it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tonight I pulled the banjo bolts from the avcs oil feed lines looking for clogged screens. There were no screens to be found. Like the turbo feed, they had already been eliminated.
Reset the code, took it for an extended drive and the code didn't reappear.
Just going to drive it for a few days. Probably give it an oil change later this week.
Somewhere in my research I saw a TSB recommending the Subaru engine flush to address the problem, but I'm going to save that as the last resort.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the engine flush, you can use Sea Foam. Follow the directions.
Yeah... Active ingredient in both is Naphtha, with different concentrations of other stuff mixed in. Still, I'm somewhat inclined to stick with the Subaru formula for this purpose.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I ordered a new solenoid.

While I await it's arrival, I decided to go ahead and do the Subaru engine flush. Bought the flush from my local dealer. $20.
Procedure is pretty simple; pour it in, idle for 20 minutes, change oil and filter.

When draining the oil, I was shocked by how quickly the oil gushed out. Poured out like water. I briefly thought I might have had a failure that caused coolant to get into the crankcase. But only 4.5 quarts came out. That flush just really thinned the oil.

Anyway, I completed the oil change and cleared the code. It will be tomorrow before I can complete a drive cycle.

I did take the extra step of cutting open the filter for inspection. That yeilded no surprises, just dirty oil.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oil flush seems to have done the trick. Been driving the car regularly for the last few days with no reappearance of the CEL.
Meanwhile, the replacement solenoid arrived Friday. I'll hang onto it for a few more days before I return it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts