Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded a '11 Premium for a '13 Limited this weekend and love the changes they made! Besides the obvious Premium to Limited upgrade the changes in the FB/CVT and suspension are quite noticeable for those that own '10-'12's. I saw Subaru quote a 40% reduction in body roll and thought it was mostly marketing fluff until I got behind the wheel. It’s a more responsive car with improved handling and steering with flatter cornering. That being said I still have a 19mm RSB that I was going to put on my ’11 that will go on the ’13 so I’ll post up after I get it installed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just traded a '11 Premium for a '13 Limited this weekend and love the changes they made! Besides the obvious Premium to Limited upgrade the changes in the FB/CVT and suspension are quite noticeable for those that own '10-'12's. I saw Subaru quote a 40% reduction in body roll and thought it was mostly marketing fluff until I got behind the wheel. It’s a more responsive car with improved handling and steering with flatter cornering. That being said I still have a 19mm RSB that I was going to put on my ’11 that will go on the ’13 so I’ll post up after I get it installed.

Congrats, it is my car's twin. I got the Limited with Nav & Sunroof. :29:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Congrats.

We have an earlier model in the family and I just finished .5 of a work trip that has a stretch of hilly, twisty, narrow and uneven road. 35 miles of heavy cross winds on freeway before that. My 2013 is indeed in a league above my mother in law's year older car even though that's very fine car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was hoping someone would post this. This should bring out many interesting comparisons. Though I just got a 13 Limited 2 weeks ago, I was interested in hearing about the differences between this and the 10-12. My first impressions are that the ride is firm and very well controlled. The pickup is also better than I thought. Thanks for posting.

Ron

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
No, believe it or not it doesn't!
We need to consider the 19mm is designed for a low to the ground STI. Subaru can't sell a piece to the general public that on a small level hurts off road capabilities by limiting articulation. If I was Subaru I wouldn't have put it on stock either. But I'm not Subaru and love my 13 with the 19mm! :29:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have to drive one again,I thought there was a difference but not night and day as some have posted, but then again my early 10 has new tires and has been very well taken care of. I only have 21k on her

·
Registered
80 Posts
We need to consider the 19mm is designed for a low to the ground STI. Subaru can't sell a piece to the general public that on a small level hurts off road capabilities by limiting articulation. If I was Subaru I wouldn't have put it on stock either. But I'm not Subaru and love my 13 with the 19mm! :29:
What's the benefit of that in everyday street/highway driving?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not everyone is going to see the benefit of the 19mm on the 13 as they did on the 10-12. When I take corners through town with the family in the car it doesn't lean at all. Stock it didn't lean much but it did very slightly. Since my wife is small and the seat doesn't really hold you she likes not being tilted around at all and just staying flat. When the car was stock and I was by myself I would get some lean playing around. Not bad but it was there. In hard corners I could tell the rear was not at match for the front. The front wouldn't tilt much but the rear would. Well with the 19mm what little lean I do get out of the car is now even across the front to rear. So there are slight benefits in normal driving and sport driving. Worth the $100 IMO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just replaced the stock filter with an AEM DryFlow air filter. I have always used K&N's on my car but got tired of the re-oiling process. With the AEM you just spray the cleaner on it and rinse with water. Purchased the filter and the cleaning spray through Amazon.

28-20304 - AEM , AEM DryFlow Air Filter

·
Registered
454 Posts
I found "slight" benefit in a more planted rear on standard roads, however there were some downfalls IMO. You have to remember, you're essentially making the rear suspension "less independent"- where I noticed this was on particularly rough surfaces (plenty in mid-Missouri), especially with large areas of ruts. The car would just wobble hard side-to-side, whereas with the stock bar it would just float right over it. It's all in what's important to you- if I was carving cannons everyday at decent speeds, I would have kept it. Better yet, I wouldn't have bought a wagon on stilts expecting it to drive like an A4 avant. The 19mm makes a great pull-up bar in case you were wondering :29:

Something tells me the stock 16mm on the 2013 is a better balance between the two, with the necessary upgrade in other suspension areas to support it as well

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found "slight" benefit in a more planted rear on standard roads, however there were some downfalls IMO. You have to remember, you're essentially making the rear suspension "less independent"- where I noticed this was on particularly rough surfaces (plenty in mid-Missouri), especially with large areas of ruts. The car would just wobble hard side-to-side, whereas with the stock bar it would just float right over it. It's all in what's important to you- if I was carving cannons everyday at decent speeds, I would have kept it. Better yet, I wouldn't have bought a wagon on stilts expecting it to drive like an A4 avant. The 19mm makes a great pull-up bar in case you were wondering :29:

Something tells me the stock 16mm on the 2013 is a better balance between the two, with the necessary upgrade in other suspension areas to support it as well
I will say that the '13 in stock form is more planted when hitting bumps while cornering. My '11 would dance/jump all around on the same roads. I'm still planning on the 19mm RSB as I have it just sitting here in the garage. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I will say that the '13 in stock form is more planted when hitting bumps while cornering. My '11 would dance/jump all around on the same roads. I'm still planning on the 19mm RSB as I have it just sitting here in the garage. :D
That's the area which, IMO, receives the most benefit from an upgraded RSB. Having been back on my 15mm for a few weeks, I do notice one bump in particular which my car hits at about 50mph on a turn right and the rear end is a little "floaty" to say the least :28: but I guess that's the theory in general, the suspension should settle a bit more quickly with less flex on side-to-side actions with the upgraded RSB which is desirable at times and not in others for me personally

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That's the area which, IMO, receives the most benefit from an upgraded RSB. Having been back on my 15mm for a few weeks, I do notice one bump in particular which my car hits at about 50mph on a turn right and the rear end is a little "floaty" to say the least :28: but I guess that's the theory in general, the suspension should settle a bit more quickly with less flex on side-to-side actions with the upgraded RSB which is desirable at times and not in others for me personally
My 2010 with the 19mm RSB is no where near my 2013 with the stock RSB. I am not even going to bother upgrading my 2013 to 19mm. I think they finally got it right. This does come at the expense of a slightly firmer but less floaty ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
sbpark
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing