Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this sucks, i think....I washed my car, dried is off perfectly, waxed it (that took a long time,) and after im done, it looks amazing except....There were sun spots all over the hood, waxed over!! Anyhow, is that anyway i could get the sun spots off? Or how long will it take before the wax dies down and i can get rid of the sun spots?
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Will88,

You should be able to buff them out. This will take a lot of elbow grease though. You may have to wash the wax off and redo that portion. I've done that before. You never seem to notice the spots until you are completely done. Why is that?

For future reference, that new Mr. Clean carwash thing that has recently hit the market does wonders. It works as advertised.

·
Registered
'04 OB Wagon
81 Posts
I'm in the habit of never waxing my car in the direct sun light. It seems to make it bond to the paint almost immediately. Last year I waxed my wife's car when it was really cold out and the wax froze to the car. It took a smattering of profanity and lots of elbow grease to get the wax off the car.

Kurt

·
Registered
Formerly - '02 Outback Limited Sedan
297 Posts
Will88:
What product(s) were you using? And did you wax in the sun, is that what you mean by sun spots? Or do you have acid rain spots? And what color is your OB?

My first vehicle was black, and I liked it clean, so I learned a few tricks the hard way. First is wash a cool vehicle in the shade. Second, dry the vehicle in the shade. Don't forget the door jambs, around trims and door handles that can "drip". Third, apply and remove wax in the shade, preferable in the garage. Make a "final pass" in direct sunlight to make sure you got all the wax off, but don't leave it there too long, or the wax'll bake on.

·
Registered
05 XT
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I Used the griot's garage show wax...by sun spots i mean water dried on the car...i dried the car outside, but waxed it inside a garage...and my outback is regatta red....a dark red

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
After I apply and remove Meguairs new NXT wax, I spray water on the car and wipe it off with a microfibre towel......No greasy film left on the surface !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I Used the griot's garage show wax

Did you use polish first? or clay? Probably what you have is acid rain spots that have burned into the paint from being parked outside inthe rain and the sun coming out. The rain drops act like magnifying glasses, burning into the paint.

Give Griot's a call about it, and see what they suggest. You might try to clay the hood or even polish it if that doesn't work. Then re-wax.

I didn't give much credit to claying (vs a wax with a polish in it) until I clayed the Outback....whatta difference. It had always had a "gritty" feeling, and the paint didn't "sparkle" even after waxing...I just thought it was Subaru paint. She sparkles and is smooth as glass now. The paint must have taken a beating the 6 months it sat on the lot with no protection.

BTW, I use lot's of Griot's products, I don't use the wax. It's a carnuba based wax, and won't last as long as some other types...which is ok if you live someplace you can wax your vehicle in January (or July down under), but not here in Rochester!

·
Registered
297 Posts
tlippy

Do you like the NXT? Iv'e heard others say it's beautiful for a couple weeks, then it doesn't bead anymore. I'm looking for a new product that'll last 6 months to a year. I used the Mequaires cleaner wax for a long time, and it has lasted 12 months before, but I'm looking for something without the "cleaner"component now.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
waynerd said:
tlippy

Do you like the NXT?

Waynerd-------NXT is OK - but I don't think it'll shed water past 4 washings. It's just so darn easy to apply and remove.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
waynerd said:
tlippy

I'm looking for a new product that'll last 6 months to a year. I used the Mequaires cleaner wax for a long time, and it has lasted 12 months before, but I'm looking for something without the "cleaner"component now.
waynerd it would probably depend where your car is parked during the day. If it is outdoors then you would need to wax more often than once a year (probably every 3-4 months, if indoors/garaged then you would be able to get away with it for 12 months. My sister doesn't use her car most days and is parked in the garage and the condition of the car is sparkling after a quick wash, paint still smooth also.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was gonna try Eagle 1 nano wax...supposedly no dust and ya get a microfiber cloth with the bottle. Don't know how it lasts.

Our cars are generally garage kept at night, and outdoors during the day. The wife's was in a conditioned parking garage at work(toasty in the winter) but her division has moved to the 'burbs, and no garage anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts