Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use K&P billeted aluminum reusable oil filter?

My thought since the filter is up top it would allow me to clean it in between oil changes with no loss of oil.

K and P Engineering dot com (no spaces).

Eric

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you say that? I am familiar with micron filters. Used them a lot on nuclear submarines.

Can you provide details/articles proving your statement?

I know of multiple people who use them on their motorcycles, myself included, with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,702 Posts
Why would you want to clean it between changes? Does it need cleaning every 3k miles, assuming a 6k interval?

Just doing some simple math, if your billet filter cost $140, that would be around 14 of the Fram Ultra which seems to be the gold standard in off the shelf filters. That's 84k miles of just dumping the old filter and putting on a new one without the hassle of cleaning.

Some OEMs such as Honda recommend letting the filter go for 2 intervals so you're up to 168k for the price of the billet filter plus the material and time to clean it.

For all the bars and graphs they have on their site the still don't have anything that says their filter flows and filters better than the M1 or the Fram Ultra. Both of those are rated to 20k miles.

I see a lot of fluff and puffery but no test results that allow comparison.

I'd pass.

Reactions: jdog1

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
You're not going to get a recommendation here and a helpful discussion is probably nearly impossible on this topic. Oil is like talking politics. oil is nearly impossible to get consensus on, too many people comment on it, and on top of that you're asking a question that never really needed asked or addressed in the first place so no one uses them.

Any oil filter off the shelf gets you to 300,000 miles in a Subaru regardless, so it doesn't matter, but no one is going to jump a rock solid ship like that for a product with very little platform specific mileage, extra maintenance to clean it, and no financial incentive. there's simple no incentive - financial, time, ease, longevity, oil analysis aren't showing it - it doesn't address any known or perceived need.

if you like them then by all means have at it. it's just a filter, just a car, and just an engine.

it certainly sounds more sensational, out of the box, and novel - very highly regarded traits in our society and probably part of the reason i drive a 1988 XT6 - so if that's what you're after then you're definitely headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is also the environmental impact as I would not have to dispose of a used filter.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,702 Posts
There is also the environmental impact as I would not have to dispose of a used filter.
If you were truly concerned about the environment you'd buy a Prius, Tesla or ride a bicycle. Oil filters are recycled and the used oil is cleaned and repurposed.

I don't see any advantage to the disposable billet filter. Their site doesn't give gpm flow figures, micron ratings in various tests or long term use results. It's more like a pretty filter than true filtering. Any other filter manufacturer provides the basic numbers for comparison.

Reactions: jdog1

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,226 Posts
I think subaru makes cars with recycled steel.

subaru probably made your car with some of my recycled OEM oil filters,
that I kindly make available to them for that purpose at my local dump's metal bin. (40 feet from the waste oil container).

.. so please enjoy my used filters in good health....for now I will keep buying subaru OEM filters, and they will keep buying them back in the recycled steel market.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow Rub, so much negativity for a simple question. What are you positive about?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,500 Posts
Back in the dark ages when I was first driving, someone (probably JC Whitney, but not sure) offered a threaded can you could insert a roll of toilet paper into as a reusable "oil filter" - just change out the TP. A roll of TP was about the same size and shape as an actual oil filter, and real oil filters used paper as filter elements, so why not?

It was the go-go '60s, you were lucky if a car lasted much more than 50,000 miles, anyway (almost all had 5-digit odometers that rolled back to zero at 100,000 miles if they made it that far).

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
There is also the environmental impact as I would not have to dispose of a used filter.[/QUOT

Don't you have to clean that filter? Think about what it takes to clean it in regards to environmental impact.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,702 Posts
Wow Rub, so much negativity for a simple question. What are you positive about?
I'm positive about a lot. Foremost, I'm so excited over my new D4S bulbs that I installed yesterday that the grin you see on my face will still be on my face when I die and the mortuary will say, "He's got a big grin and we're going to have to leave it." Come to my funeral and you can see the D4S grin. Also, there's not going to be any tape when they plump me. If you know anything about mortuary science you know what the tape is for. I'm going to grin over that too.

The other thing that tickles my giblets is that I had kimchi for lunch. I have a billion or so probiotics in my innards and that alone makes me Mr. B!tchin'.

Lastly, I'm friggin happy that you have money to spend on a product that is all huff and fluff. You want to know why I'm happy? It's because if you have money to waste on a filter like that of dubious worth and value then you won't be a drain on the Social Security system that I'll probably be on in 15 to 20 years. That makes me happy.

So yes, buy the filter but please don't pretend, based on their site, that it's a good filter that offers anything beyond a Fram Ultra or M1 product. It's a pretty filter and I'm sure some of their smaller ones would make a great set of cufflinks or maybe a beer cozy but it isn't a good filter. If the heavens shone down on it with the blessing of the Lord then they'd be pimping that angle and they can't because they don't have the solid filtering numbers. They have charts and all that but without the data it's worthless info, just like seeing someone wearing a lab coat and assuming they're a scientist or a doctor when they just might have a thing for white coats.

I'm always interested in a better mousetrap but the results are what I'm paying for and not the container. If you can give me the numbers on single pass, double pass, absolute numbers, the pressure differential numbers, the flow rates, bypass settings and all that stuff I will listen. Without that it's just bling.

I'm also happy that I typed all of that.

EDIT:

I looked, rather closely, at their dyno testing and it's not current or applicable to any car, truck, van or RV.

Let me just give you the highlights, or the lowlights as it appears.

The filter pic is of one for a BMW motorcycle. Not a car but a motorcycle.

Their first chart showing micron numbers and comparison to various paper filters and a couple of stainless ones doesn't tell you the date the testing was done or the filters or what each of the horizontal black lines means. It's the same as the dude walking around wearing a white lab coat holding a clipboard. It means nothing.

The actual results are deeply suspcious and outright flawed. Look closely and you will see that every single graph is for a motorcycle engine. Every one. There isn't a single one on any other motor vehicle. Not a car, truck, van, SUV or anything else. If their product was so superior, they'd say it loud and proud.

Also look at the dates on the graphs - Aug of 2007. That's the best they've got? Oil and filter technology have come so far since then my guess is that they're afraid to have someone really compare their filter to a modern one from Fram or M1.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
I think subaru makes cars with recycled steel.

subaru probably made your car with some of my recycled OEM oil filters,
that I kindly make available to them for that purpose at my local dump's metal bin. (40 feet from the waste oil container).

.. so please enjoy my used filters in good health....for now I will keep buying subaru OEM filters, and they will keep buying them back in the recycled steel market.
I grew up in a steel town. The process of making steel is recycling old steel. During tours of the Mill I can remember watching them put scrap steel into the furnace to be melted down, starting the cycle over again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,226 Posts
I grew up in a steel town. The process of making steel is recycling old steel. During tours of the Mill I can remember watching them put scrap steel into the furnace to be melted down, starting the cycle over again.
not a whole lot of difference here:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts