Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a $500 SOA accessories credit to use up. I do need 2 kayak carriers for our 17 Outback for camping this summer. Would anyone recommend the Subaru genuine kayak Carrier? Or is there a better option aftermarket for carrying 2 kayaks and save the $500 credit for something else? I think our kayaks are 10 ft long and weigh about 50 pounds.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Do some research 50lbs isn’t exactly light. If it were me I would go this route if you car top a bunch. A couple times a year just get a J style rack.

Your frequency of use and level of kyak wrestling prowess is key.

I like to run traditional cross bars on the stowed stock cross bars so I can run all my rack gear and swap to longer bars when needed.

Having said that were in snow mode now with ski box sitting on the stock cross bars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked up our kayaks and they weigh 38 lbs each. They are the cheap pelican 100 kayaks. I usually throw them in the back of my truck, but that will be towing my camper so the kayaks will have to go on top of the Subaru. So I will probably only use the racks once per year so not worried about ease of you that much.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
453 Posts
For such limited use I’d get the cheapest yet workable mount that fits on the factory crossbars.

I’d actually start with CraigsList. Most mounts designed for about anybody’s aero cross bars will work.

If you need new, Ilike the selections and prices at Rack Attack. Lots of choices.

https://www.rackattack.com/water-sport-racks/kayak-racks/#

Reactions: dbone61

·
Vendor
231 Posts
Hi there, here is a kayak carrier that allows carrying up to 4 kayaks:
Thule Kayak Carrier for Subaru Outback
You can check out instruction to see how it works for more than 1 kayak, or just see the picture in the attachment.
It is around $170 without shipping, yet the roof racks are not included into this price, just the kayak carrier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
220 Posts
The "genuine Subaru" carriers have just been Thule or Yakima carriers sold through Subaru parts. You can get the exact same thing cheaper from other sources.

I'm assuming you don't want to spend more on the carrier than you did on the boats, right? Good saddles will run between $150 and $250 per boat. For 10' Pelicans you're really looking at the kinds of carriers that whitewater paddlers use rather than carriers for big sea kayaks. And from what I've seen, Pelicans do better on their sides, especially if they'll be in the hot sun for a while if you park somewhere.

I'd recommend just getting a set of stackers or something similar. CarID mentioned the Thules; here are Yakima's version: https://www.yakima.com/kayakstacker. They're cheap and easy and can handle 2 (or more) boats with a minimum of effort and fuss.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I think an important part of my question relies on the fact I have a parts credit to use up for Subaru only parts and accessories. So that is why I am considering the Subaru kayak Carrier because it would be no cost to me. I had also thought of getting the subie Thule cargo carrier instead but just don't think it would get used. I do have a need for a kayak Carrier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts