Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2017 Outback 2.5 Premium. Has anyone had success installing and using the Hullavator on this car?

Is additional equipment required? Any modifications needed?

Thanks!

OKoutback

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
The Hullavator needs to be mounted on Thule cross bars, and the bars need to extend toward the outside of the car a certain distance so that the arm doesn't hit the side of the car in the down position. It cannot be installed on the Premium's plastic rack, unless you can somehow attach Thule bars. I bought the Touring to get the Thule bars for a Hullavator for my sea kayak.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
Thule's solution to the outback plastic rack is to clamp their crossbars to the subaru crossbars in the stowed position, which means extra height and a maximum crossbar spread of 24.5." You can alternatively go with the Yakima Skylines that mount in the holes in the plastic rack and use their Showdown load-assist, so 30" crossbar spacing, but still higher off the roof than ideal.

And in other news, Yakima has finally introduced their landing pads for the touring rails, so that provides another option if you have the touring rails.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You also need to have 6" of bar on the outside of the roof mount / footpack to ensure that the Hullivator deploys far enough away from your car so that it doesn't hit the side of the car.

Given how tough it is to add aftermarket bars to a stock Outback set up you might want to consider something like a lightweight trailer from Malone Auto Racks or other supplier....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OKoutback

Thanks very much for the info. I'll check on the Showdown and the trailer idea. I'm not sure about driving with the trailer but if that's my only option....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone successfully mounted Thule Hullavator to Yakima Jetstream bars (connected to roof via Skyline towers and Landing Pad 15)? And if so, what bar length did you use? we are considering getting a 2019 premium... and would love to use the Hullivator like we did on our Forrester. On that vehicle we have Thule 53 inch bars, but Yakima come in 50 or 60 inch lengths... so am not sure which one we would need

1 - 8 of 8 Posts