Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don’t want to have issues with pain wearing. I was thinking about this kit. There’s screws in the engine compartment for these straps, but it’s under the insulation. I think it will still work.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
528 Posts
Not sure on a 2019 but on my 2016 I screwed the strap base into a plastic piece that runs along the front of the car. The picture you attached shows it on the side.

I used an existing hole/bolt that was there. I've used this setup for three years with no paint wear.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on a 2019 but on my 2016 I screwed the strap base into a plastic piece that runs along the front of the car. The picture you attached shows it on the side.

I used an existing hole/bolt that was there. I've used this setup for three years with no paint wear.
The top of the bumper?

The side is where I was talking about.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5i Premium
45 Posts
The top of the bumper?

The side is where I was talking about.

View attachment 473748
That's where I mounted mine. The straps tuck under that piece when you aren't using them and you don't even know that they're there. Some people have claimed that there is a slight rubbing of the paint when they use them and others haven't seen this but I don't know what would make it rub one time but not another. I seem to recall seeing a post where somebody wrapped the strap with a piece of rubber where it came up through the hood gap to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
528 Posts
I'm talking about under the hood around where the radiator is. It's hard to describe without a picture.

Either way should work fine but my configuration works for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I used these Seattle Sports Hood Loops for my 5th Gen using the existing bolts beneath the hood. You can fold them down inside so they don't flap around when not in use. I just use good quality rope and use a trucker's hitch to secure the front of my kayak. The rear is a little trickier but I usually have a Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier on when going out of town and this provides a good tie-down for the rear of my two kayaks. If you want to learn how to use rope to tie down kayaks or other things this is an really informative video from Andrew Skurka right here Guylines systems and knots by Andrew Skurka.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 474186

I used these Seattle Sports Hood Loops for my 5th Gen using the existing bolts beneath the hood. You can fold them down inside so they don't flap around when not in use. I just use good quality rope and use a trucker's hitch to secure the front of my kayak. The rear is a little trickier but I usually have a Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier on when going out of town and this provides a good tie-down for the rear of my two kayaks. If you want to learn how to use rope to tie down kayaks or other things this is an really informative video from Andrew Skurka right here Guylines systems and knots by Andrew Skurka.
Did you mount them under the sides of the hood?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can take a picture and post it later but there are some bolts around the latch for the hood that you can loosen up and then use to attach the straps. I only used one strap but it seems like a good idea to use both of them for extra security. Also, the bolts are offset to each side of the centerline so you end up having the front tie-down point being a little off-center if you only use one. Not sure if that's a big deal, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can take a picture and post it later but there are some bolts around the latch for the hood that you can loosen up and then use to attach the straps. I only used one strap but it seems like a good idea to use both of them for extra security. Also, the bolts are offset to each side of the centerline so you end up having the front tie-down point being a little off-center if you only use one. Not sure if that's a big deal, though.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One strap per yak is good.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
79 Posts
I just use the straps with the rubber ends. No need to mount anything. Put under hood when using, remove when done. I don't use kayaks very often, so maybe mounting them makes more sense if you use them a lot.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just use the straps with the rubber ends. No need to mount anything. Put under hood when using, remove when done. I don't use kayaks very often, so maybe mounting them makes more sense if you use them a lot.
Yeah, thought about that route too.

Got any pics of your setup?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6
79 Posts
I don't. But I went through the same scenario as you and got a lot of help with pictures on this site.

I use two of them toward the front on each side of radiator (I always carry two kayaks). I use these to cinch it down in the front and back.

Check out the items 'frequently sold together'.

I use the tow hitch for the back. I don't crank the fronts down to much. Enough to stabilize them. I do have a clear bra as well to protect the paint. It's solid with tie downs around the J bars on the rack.

I see people using just the J bars and racks. I'd rather be a lil safe than sorry. A friend had one fly off at 65 and torpedo a car going the other way. Cost him $3500, which I think was pretty lucky.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't. But I went through the same scenario as you and got a lot of help with pictures on this site.

I use two of them toward the front on each side of radiator (I always carry two kayaks). I use these to cinch it down in the front and back.

Check out the items 'frequently sold together'.

I use the tow hitch for the back. I don't crank the fronts down to much. Enough to stabilize them. I do have a clear bra as well to protect the paint. It's solid with tie downs around the J bars on the rack.

I see people using just the J bars and racks. I'd rather be a lil safe than sorry. A friend had one fly off at 65 and torpedo a car going the other way. Cost him $3500, which I think was pretty lucky.

I have Yakima JayLow kayak racks that will be mounted to a Yakima Offgrid basket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here are some photos of the strap:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts