Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
White 2020 Outback Touring XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new 2020 Outback Touring XT for about 6 weeks now. The performance, features and technology are impressive. This my first Subaru and I really like it, EXCEPT the Inattentive Driving Warning is driving me crazy! The "Keep Your Eyes on the Road" alert pops up constantly, even when my eyes are looking straight ahead at the road! All I have to do is move my head a little, or put my hand up to me face, or glance at where I am turning; and the alert pops up.
Is there a way to re-calibrate the sensors, or decrease the sensitivity of the face scan? If not, is there a way to turn the **** thing off?!! What is supposed to be a "safety" feature is actually becoming a nuisance hazard that is interfering with good driving.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2020 Black Subaru Outback Touring XT
117 Posts
I have this same issue with mine the button is below where the start stop is like @Sequoia225 said.....(hit the little car on main screen bottom left corner....far right tab bottom toggle " driver monitoring system" light on dash will turn orange to let you know it is off). Working with dealership to try and make it permanently off due to mine cause the rest of my car to fault out.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
613 Posts
The Driver Focus system is why I recommended my uncle go for the Limited(2.5) instead of Touring(2.5). I knew it would anger him if the car nagged him on how to drive and paid extra for it. ? Even though he wanted the power folding side mirrors, nappa leather, and heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,238 Posts
The Driver Focus system is why I recommended my uncle go for the Limited instead of Touring. I knew it would anger him if the car nagged him on how to drive and paid extra for it. ? Even though he wanted the power folding side mirrors, nappa leather, and heated steering wheel.
yeah - its kind of ridiculous. I mean, if it worked better, was less sensitive...but I am not convinced we are in a technological age yet to perfect such a system with so many variables. We like to think we are, but...

Mine will def yell at me when I cant even tell what I did that "took my eyes off the road". Often. When you drive you look around, check mirrors, check speed, etc. Maybe I have shifty eyes? hahaha I dont know but its ridiculous.
?

I cant believe they forced it to come back on, like start/stop - not every power cycle but every few. I would REALLY like to get some info on this - what triggers it to reset back to on - because it is not a specific number of power cycles - it happens somewhere between 2-6 it seems, not consistent. I asked the Love Encore guy and he didnt even admit to being aware that it DOES come back on on its own. He said if you shut it off it should stay off. Nope.

To me the driver monitor is the one and only big reason to NOT get a Touring.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
613 Posts
yeah - its kind of ridiculous. I mean, if it worked better, was less sensitive...but I am not convinced we are in a technological age yet to perfect such a system with so many variables. We like to think we are, but...

Mine will def yell at me when I cant even tell what I did that "took my eyes off the road". Often. When you drive you look around, check mirrors, check speed, etc. Maybe I have shifty eyes? hahaha I dont know but its ridiculous.
?

I cant believe they forced it to come back on, like start/stop - not every power cycle but every few. I would REALLY like to get some info on this - what triggers it to reset back to on - because it is not a specific number of power cycles - it happens somewhere between 2-6 it seems, not consistent. I asked the Love Encore guy and he didnt even admit to being aware that it DOES come back on on its own. He said if you shut it off it should stay off. Nope.

To me the driver monitor is the one and only big reason to NOT get a Touring.
It might be bugged that it can't be permanently turn off. I don't see why it should only be temporary. I guess time will tell if Subaru acknowledges whether this is intended or not.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
It might be bugged that it can't be permanently turn off. I don't see why it should only be temporary. I guess time will tell if Subaru acknowledges whether this is intended or not.
i simply havent been able to confirm this at all- one way or another. i guess i cld ask SOA. but i havent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had my new 2020 Outback Touring XT for about 6 weeks now. The performance, features and technology are impressive. This my first Subaru and I really like it, EXCEPT the Inattentive Driving Warning is driving me crazy! The "Keep Your Eyes on the Road" alert pops up constantly, even when my eyes are looking straight ahead at the road! All I have to do is move my head a little, or put my hand up to me face, or glance at where I am turning; and the alert pops up.
Is there a way to re-calibrate the sensors, or decrease the sensitivity of the face scan? If not, is there a way to turn the **** thing off?!! What is supposed to be a "safety" feature is actually becoming a nuisance hazard that is interfering with good driving.

Thanks for any help.
Exactly why I went with the Onyx. It has the Turbo but not the nanny cam.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Exactly why I went with the Onyx. It has the Turbo but not the nanny cam.
to me the seat cooling was important. that said i had no idea the driver monitor would keep coming back on. I would at least like to know from someone how its intended design is supposed to work.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,654 Posts
What if you delete all users from the facial recognition system and rely on fob recognition instead?

Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
871 Posts
I once had driver monitoring go berserk and constantly beep that my eyes were not on the road. It would not stop. I had to pull over, turned off the car and the. restarted the car and everything was fine again. This happed the first month I had the car and hasn’t happened since (I’m in month 5 now.)

·
Premium Member
2019 Outback Limited / 2020 Outback Limited
102 Posts
Sunglasses on I look wherever I want. ? I don’t turn my head a lot, but it is easier to check my surroundings.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sunglasses on I look wherever I want. ? I don’t turn my head a lot, but it is easier to check my surroundings.
see? I always have my sunglasses on (we have had like one day of rain since new years here, mostly the rest full sunny skies- which I hate btw).
It beeps at me just the same with my sunglasses on, which happen to be fairly dark and polarized (see comment about hating the sun). Still beeps at me for seemingly no reason at times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
see? I always have my sunglasses on (we have had like one day of rain since new years here, mostly the rest full sunny skies- which I hate btw).
It beeps at me just the same with my sunglasses on, which happen to be fairly dark and polarized (see comment about hating the sun). Still beeps at me for seemingly no reason at times.
Interesting mine has always popped up a message that the driver monitoring is being deactivated a few minutes into a drive with sunglasses on. Other than that it works fine for me aside from activating if my hands are near my face.

·
Registered
White 2020 Outback Touring XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Obviously, I am not the only one that is annoyed by this issue. I have tried some of the suggestions posted. I deleted all users. Then, I turned off the Driver Monitoring System through the "Car", then "Others" menus. That works for the current trip - no "Keep Your Eyes on the Road" alerts. However, the system turns right back on the next time you turn on the car. Oh well, I guess I will need to get in the habit of doing the menu dive and turning off that switch (and the "Auto Start Stop" switch) every time I get in the car.

It would be nice if Subaru (and other manufacturers) would realize that we want to drive and control the car ourselves, not have the car drive us. If they are going to include these systems they should at least give us a way to permanently turn them off.

Thanks again.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,263 Posts
It would be nice if Subaru (and other manufacturers) would realize that we want to drive and control the car ourselves, not have the car drive us. If they are going to include these systems they should at least give us a way to permanently turn them off.

Thanks again.
Unfortunately the future is moving in the opposite direction. Pardon my conspiracy theory here. But....There are very large forces in this world that are pushing us to live our live like this...

Those forces want us disconnected from our own will. Those forces want us controllable and they want us to consume large quantities of commodities. Many of these commodities are integral parts of our cars. As the technology rabidly changes, there constantly needs to be an "invented market" to purchase all of these new versions of "money makers". We are spoon fed all of this, and we swallow it. We are happy these large forces are protecting us from ourselves.

I can't tell you all how happy I am that my both of my cars have no screens. No traction "nannies", unless you count the rear LSD. I'd be happy to get rid of the ABS even. As stated above, some us actually prefer to drive our cars ourselves. I know how to mitigate my own traction situation. Some of us drive enthusiastically and certainly, always engaged. I will avoid mass vehicular control as long as I can. I don't plan on buying anything with a push button start in the long term foreseeable future.

Basically you can have the keys, which start my car, when you can pry them from my cold dead hands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine isn't accurate, especially with sun glasses. Between the alerts to keep my hands on the wheel using LC when they are and the keep your eyes on the road when they also are I get alert fatigue. One time I intentionally didn't nudge the wheel with the LC warning. Eventually it lowers the radio and increases the alarm.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts