Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
433 Posts
Getting back to the original post, I never saw the "Keep Your Eyes on the Road" message before I updated from the 501 to 504 software.

I do get the driver monitoring disabled on almost every trip before and after the update.
Are you disabling it yourself, or is it disabling itself? If I drive and there is any sun whatsoever, my monitoring disables itself. I can't drive more than 3-4 miles (maybe 10 minutes?) before it happens. I contacted corporate and they said they would work with the dealer, but the dealer found nothing wrong. Plus I put a post up here a couple of months ago and only about 2 or 3 said they observed the same problem. Just curious.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
495 Posts
Are you disabling it yourself, or is it disabling itself? If I drive and there is any sun whatsoever, my monitoring disables itself. I can't drive more than 3-4 miles (maybe 10 minutes?) before it happens. I contacted corporate and they said they would work with the dealer, but the dealer found nothing wrong. Plus I put a post up here a couple of months ago and only about 2 or 3 said they observed the same problem. Just curious.
No - It disables itself. Usually it happens if I am turning and I look to see if anyone is coming. Could be that my glasses are interfering with the operation in mine are a pretty extreme prescription.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I did pick up a new message that I never saw after the update.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
433 Posts
No - It disables itself. Usually it happens if I am turning and I look to see if anyone is coming. Could be that my glasses are interfering with the operation in mine are a pretty extreme prescription.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I did pick up a new message that I never saw after the update.
Your's sounds similar, but not the same. I think it's fair to say the monitor s/w is flaky. FWIW, I haven't updated yet. Still running 503. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
251 Posts
Your's sounds similar, but not the same. I think it's fair to say the monitor s/w is flaky. FWIW, I haven't updated yet. Still running 503. Thanks.
Question. This 501/503/504 designation. Where are they coming from? Are they from the settings screen in the car?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
Question. This 501/503/504 designation. Where are they coming from? Are they from the settings screen in the car?
Yes

·
Registered
251 Posts
Found it I have level 503. So it looks like there is at least one more recent (newer) level, 504.

I was a computer programmer for years. Messed around with my PCs for years, was NOT afraid to do stuff like this. But now that I'm getting older and not as brave (yep chicken), I think I'll wait and see what happens between now and the end of the month, when I'm planning on getting my first service.

If it does repeat before the service , I'll first try to remove and reapply my profile(s). Just have a gut feeling. I want to use the KISS method.

Based on what happened with my 2013 nav sys, I have a feeling that I will have to point the techs in the correct direction. Now I'm not picking on them. My son was a Subaru tech, and was the electronic go-to guy in his shop. Currently he's out of the world. Tooo bad for me.

·
Registered
White 2020 Outback Touring XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So, no. That is not the manual. The update manual (actually a document that describes the update process, not a user manual but more for dealer techs) is located within this folder:

Chose the folder appropriate to your head unit (i.e. with or without navigation).

The above update files were obtained by various members of the forum from various sources. I put them in one place on my Google drive to make it easy to download them.
These are the files Subaru dealers use to update your car's infotainment system.

OTA = Over The Air updates. These updates are sent directly to your car using it's build-in WiFi capabilities (the car needs to be connected to your home wifi). But OTA updates are not expected to be out until later this year.
So the files in your Google Drive are all we need for the manual update? I checked Software Update on my screen this morning, and it still says my software is up to date, even though I am using version 502.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
So the files in your Google Drive are all we need for the manual update? I checked Software Update on my screen this morning, and it still says my software is up to date, even though I am using version 502.

Thanks.
The "Software Update" button to check Wi-Fi for an update is only looking for OTA (over-the-air WiFi) updates and will not tell you about the availability of USB updates.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,693 Posts

Thanks.
Like @SilverOnyx said, the update button looks for OTA updates over WiFi which are not available yet. The file on google drive are for manually updating the system using USB.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Like @SilverOnyx said, the update button looks for OTA updates over WiFi which are not available yet. The file on google drive are for manually updating the system using USB.
So now the BIG questions:
  • Is there a timeframe when the USB files become OTA?
  • Why are they not the same?😵

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,608 Posts
So now the BIG questions:
  • Is there a timeframe when the USB files become OTA?
  • Why are they not the same?😵
Rumor has it August for OTA, I suspect they're not the same because of size and liability. Look at how many dealers have bricked units doing the USB update. What's interesting is I haven't heard of any USB update failures from owners, maybe because we're patient enough to keep trying because we want our car to be right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rumor has it August for OTA, I suspect they're not the same because of size and liability. Look at how many dealers have bricked units doing the USB update. What's interesting is I haven't heard of any USB update failures from owners, maybe because we're patient enough to keep trying because we want our car to be right.
Thanks for the reply.

After the amount of times it took me to get the dealer to replace my SD card on my 2013 OB, I'm CURRENTLY reluctant to have the dealer address the update. I also CURRENTLY do NOT have the courage to do the USB USB update. My threshold for grief has dropped some it the past few years.

So when the grief given by the car is more the the potential grief I may get doing the update, I'll strongly consider doing the USB update.

Yeah I know 🐤

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
This morning my Outback updated OTA from software version 502 to 704. The update was installed with no problems. So far I haven't seen any difference, but hopefully some of these problems got fixed.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
371 Posts
This morning my Outback updated OTA from software version 502 to 704. The update was installed with no problems. So far I haven't seen any difference, but hopefully some of these problems got fixed.
Regarding the over the air Wi-Fi update to 704: There is a longish thread HERE on this forum. While many folks have updated without problems more than a few are experiencing blank screen after receiving a message that the update failed. Proceed with caution.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
At this point I think it should be "DO NOT PROCEED" with the OTA update. If it fails then there is no known way to recover without the dealer physically replacing the head unit, which may take weeks or months because there will surely be a huge backlog. This is an utter disaster. Do not do the OTA update.

Reactions: Jp1975 and AlbertB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The good news is that the OTA update to 020-704 installed without a hitch in my Outback, and I did not experience the catastrophe that others have talked about. The bad news is that none of the problems that we have been discussing here are fixed. The screens and settings I set when I get in the car mostly reset when you turn the car off, so you have to menu dive every time you start the car to get things back to the way you want it. It would be nice if Subaru finally realized that we are the owner/driver, and we want the car to be set up like we want it and stay that way. It can't be that hard to fix in software.
Side note: I started a separate thread in this forum about this a while back; but my Bluetooth also randomly disconnects (no phone or media). That hasn't been fixed in this update either. It has disconnected twice in the last three days.
Someone asked me recently how I liked my new car. I love the way it drives, but these software issues are really frustrating. Until this all gets fixed, I would have a hard time recommending a new Outback to anyone.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,406 Posts
The good news is that the OTA update to 020-704 installed without a hitch in my Outback
704 is only a partial update and you still need 504 for the full package that you can install yourself as many others have with no bricked units.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can make this "Keep Your Eyes on the Road" warning alert come on at will by tilting my head down and looking up, looking at the road ahead. Annoying, because I periodically do this to stretch my neck and the warning is invalid. I have no problem with the idea behind this tool, but its implementation leaves something to be desired.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts