Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
772 Posts
When I leave it on, on cloudy days, I find it takes a reasonable period of time before it triggers. Quick glances down or to the side such as looking at something out the side window do not trigger it. The only annoying instance is when I’m stopped at an angled intersection and I have to lean forward and to the side to check for an oncoming car. That irks me a little. But if I had a teenager driving I would highly value this, until they learned that all you have to do is put on sunglasses and you defeat it. That is if they weren’t able to just turn it off to begin with.

·
Registered
White 2020 Outback Touring XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
704 is only a partial update and you still need 504 for the full package that you can install yourself as many others have with no bricked units.

The issues continue..I still have to do the menu diving to turn off Auto Start/Stop and the Driving Assistance (Keep Your Eyes on the Road) each time I start the car. I am sure that will never be resolved. And, my Bluetooth still randomly drops out in the middle of a phone call or media streaming, as I mentioned in my earlier post; but now I have a couple new problems.

Sometimes the audio system doesn't work at all. When you first start the car, the small screen above the speed indicator says "Loading Audio" and just stays there. No radio, no Bluetooth, no media sound of any kind. And, it doesn't reset until you turn the car off and leave it off for 5 to 10 minutes.

Also, the entire system will now randomly reboot. You will be driving down the road and the large screen goes blank. In a few seconds it reboots and everything, so far, comes back to normal; but that is a little scary. If the whole screen turns off, you really wonder what else has failed.

I have had a phone and email exchange with Subaru corporate about all this. They gave me a couple suggestions that did not work, and now they told me in their last email to take it to my local dealer. "They should be able to fix it for you." [Yeah, right] I have an appointment with them for this coming Tuesday, so I will let you know what happens.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,408 Posts
Reactions: erocs

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,408 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my new 2020 Outback Touring XT for about 6 weeks now. The performance, features and technology are impressive. This my first Subaru and I really like it, EXCEPT the Inattentive Driving Warning is driving me crazy! The "Keep Your Eyes on the Road" alert pops up constantly, even when my eyes are looking straight ahead at the road! All I have to do is move my head a little, or put my hand up to me face, or glance at where I am turning; and the alert pops up.
Is there a way to re-calibrate the sensors, or decrease the sensitivity of the face scan? If not, is there a way to turn the **** thing off?!! What is supposed to be a "safety" feature is actually becoming a nuisance hazard that is interfering with good driving.

Thanks for any help.
I have the same car and the same dang issue. It makes me batty. I turn my head to check my blind spot it beeps, i check the next lane... it beeps, I yawn ... it beeps. I turn it off and for a few cycles it stays off but then it comes back to haunt me. If you figure out howto disable it I'd really appreciate if you share.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
772 Posts
If you figure out howto disable it I'd really appreciate if you share.
Just put your sunglasses on. That’s the most consistent and reliable function on the whole car. It will disable itself within 10-15 minutes every time. But I just turn it off, it stays off for one or two restarts, not really a big deal. Actually when it doesn’t disable itself, in cloudy overcast conditions it works very well and I appreciate it. However not having any teenagers I don’t consider this a necessary function. If I had teenagers I’m afraid I’d have to look at other cars, this system fails too easily to be trusted. Hopefully they’re using a better system in the 2021s, if not anyone with teenage drivers should look elsewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thanks. This is helpful.
Went to the dealer yesterday and they upgraded the software to 022-504. The upgrade installed with no problems, and there was no charge by the dealer for the service. Now we will see if the various issues are fixed. One thing I do like right away, they moved the Auto Start/Stop switch in this upgrade so that it is now only one click away on the screen instead of having to do a menu dive. For those of us that turn that function off as soon as I start the car, that certainly saves a few steps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just put your sunglasses on. That’s the most consistent and reliable function on the whole car. It will disable itself within 10-15 minutes every time. But I just turn it off, it stays off for one or two restarts, not really a big deal. Actually when it doesn’t disable itself, in cloudy overcast conditions it works very well and I appreciate it. However not having any teenagers I don’t consider this a necessary function. If I had teenagers I’m afraid I’d have to look at other cars, this system fails too easily to be trusted. Hopefully they’re using a better system in the 2021s, if not anyone with teenage drivers should look elsewhere.
Thank you JP!

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
211 Posts
Acted up again yesterday. Kept on displaying the message no matter what. Turned off briefly when I used the turn signals. Only cleared after shutting down and restarting.

·
Registered
Outback Limited 2020 Red (former 2015)
76 Posts
I once had driver monitoring go berserk and constantly beep that my eyes were not on the road. It would not stop. I had to pull over, turned off the car and the. restarted the car and everything was fine again. This happed the first month I had the car and hasn’t happened since (I’m in month 5 now.)
Just had my first experience with this. Moderate cloudy day on three lane (pers side) road. warning would continuously go off. It would only clear if I signaled lane change or blocked the sensor with my hand. Almost immediately after lane change cleared or sensor block was removed the warning reoccured and persisted. Turning off lane control did not help. Pulled over and shutdown, opened and shut driver door, restarted. All good.
Car has latest head unit updates - 380.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just had my first experience with this. Moderate cloudy day on three lane (pers side) road. warning would continuously go off. It would only clear if I signaled lane change or blocked the sensor with my hand. Almost immediately after lane change cleared or sensor block was removed the warning reoccured and persisted. Turning off lane control did not help. Pulled over and shutdown, opened and shut driver door, restarted. All good.
Car has latest head unit updates - 380.
It’s been 11 months since I wrote that and I have not experienced again (thank god.)

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
397 Posts
Mine stil goes batty in my 2021... i just turn it off every time i start the car. I have also noticed its taking longer to scan me to set the seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday and got the recall update to the software. My Outback now has version F11GHM042-380. The good news is that they move the button to turn off Auto Start-Stop to the home screen, so now you can turn it off as soon as you get in the car without going to any other menus. Hopefully they have addressed some of the other complaints (Bluetooth connections, screens resetting each time you turn off the car, random system reboots while you are driving), but I have only had it back for one day. We'll have to see if everything else if fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday and got the recall update to the software. My Outback now has version F11GHM042-380. The good news is that they move the button to turn off Auto Start-Stop to the home screen, so now you can turn it off as soon as you get in the car without going to any other menus. Hopefully they have addressed some of the other complaints (Bluetooth connections, screens resetting each time you turn off the car, random system reboots while you are driving), but I have only had it back for one day. We'll have to see if everything else if fixed.
Bad news! All three of the issues I listed above have not been fixed. It has only been a week since the software was updated, and I have already experienced those issues and more. All the screens I have picked to show will reset to something else about every fourth or fifth time I get in the car, and this time when it resets the radio tunes to some random FM station that I have never heard before. I had the system completely reboot while driving to work the other day, and then last night the Bluetooth dropped out in the middle of a phone call.

Does anyone know who to call at Subaru? After 14 months all these continuing issues have now exceed my level of tolerance.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,175 Posts
Bad news! All three of the issues I listed above have not been fixed. It has only been a week since the software was updated, and I have already experienced those issues and more. All the screens I have picked to show will reset to something else about every fourth or fifth time I get in the car, and this time when it resets the radio tunes to some random FM station that I have never heard before. I had the system completely reboot while driving to work the other day, and then last night the Bluetooth dropped out in the middle of a phone call.

Does anyone know who to call at Subaru? After 14 months all these continuing issues have now exceed my level of tolerance.
[email protected]

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,408 Posts
Sounds like you might be a candidate for a replacement cockpit control unit.

Reactions: DanielAcosta
61 - 80 of 91 Posts