Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Subaru lovers,

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback with 150,000 miles on it, always kept up with maintenance and driven gently...how much longer (mileage-wise) do I have until major things start wearing out? I LOVE my Subaru and would like to hang onto it as long as feasible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Hello fellow Subaru lovers,

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback with 150,000 miles on it, always kept up with maintenance and driven gently...how much longer (mileage-wise) do I have until major things start wearing out? I LOVE my Subaru and would like to hang onto it as long as feasible.

Thanks!
It's really tough to say, there are WAY too many variables, I doubt you'd get a whole lot for trade-in value. If anything, you'd be much better off selling it privately.

Have you ever replaced the head gaskets? If not, that's something that will happen eventually. Usually they go before 150k, actually, though they sometimes last longer.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
First off no dealer wants 150K used car regardless of how new it might be. So all you get is just above scrap value given the dealer must pay to have the car hauled off the lot and then gets whatever profit is left from auction after handlers are paid.

#1 if your going to get rid of it Sell it your self to the HS kid down the street. And keep in mind its an old car and will need expensive stuff done to make it reliable.

Valve cover gaskets for sure are probably starting to leak if not have been leaking for some time. Meaning sparkplugs and wires are toast. Shocks are done need replacing - the front steering joints probably need replacing.

The Head Gaskets are 100% to be concerned about with this engine and age regardless of care and use.

Drive it into the ground given its not worth a **** to a dealer- sell it to a local Highschool kid for a few bucks and be happy you got a little money and gave a kid transportation.

·
Registered
'99 Outback/ '99 GSX 600f
103 Posts
i have a 1999 2.5 ej25D with 210k, and i as you love the thing to death... the 2.5'sare extremely solid engines aside from the pesky headgasket issue i am sure you are aware of. the gaskets on my subi went 180k. i expect to see atleast 300k out of my engine with proper maintenance and care, and most likely another head job.:D

its at that age where anything could go ( that hasn't been replaced) which scares some people...
im sure your subi will last as long as you want it to, if your willing to get a little greasy in the process.:29:

if your seeking pointers on how to get it there i would suggest posting more information on your vehicles history and previous maintenance

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are you getting a new Outback? If you are, I doubt you''ll drive it. It's really a question of how much you value your time. If you place a high value on your time, then trade it. If you place a low value on your time, then sell it yourself.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited, 2012 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
19 Posts
Another option is to donate the car to a charity. I did this several years ago with a Nissan Maxima and got to write off way more on my taxes than I ever would have gotten on a trade-in.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,324 Posts
one option would be to begin finding a good mechanic NOW and take care of some things a little at a time. If you feel the car presently, and for the foreseeable future, meets you requirements, just start getting ahead of the 'issues'. (another option, Start a 'new car' fund TODAY. Pretend you have a $300 monthly car payment. Put it into a separate account. When the soob's headgaskets explode, sell it to the junkyard and use the car fund for a down payment on the new car - hopefully, it will be a lot of $$$)

OR, Just spend a few hiundred on your subie every 6 months or so and soon, it will be almost like new;

If it hasn't had it's timing belt changed, it needs that TODAY!.

then, save for new struts. have all suspension.steering parts inspected. Including bushings. Replace those that are dangerously worn, save up for the others. have them done when....

....you have all the fluids flushed and topped up. including front/rear diffs.

then, next time it needs brake pads, have the parking brakes changed, maybe get new rotors and new brake hoses. have that fluid flushed if it wasn't already.

spring for a complete detail including a wax/polish.

keep putting some money aside for emergency repairs. If you feel the car is becoming a little unreliable, just rent a car when traveling out-of-town.

·
Registered
97 Outback 230000
1,134 Posts
My 1997 is probably not going to pass smog next year. Since I live in CA this will mean I will have to get rid of it. Do not put money into upkeep and repairs like I have, only to have the catalytic converter fail.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
It would make a big difference depending on which part of the country you're in. 150k in the dry south west would be far less damaging than 150k in a place with cold winters and salted roads. A coworker of mine had a 2006 that was 150k+ in the DC area. It was fully maintained and ran like a clock, but was ultimately scrapped due to how much corrosion was underneath it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts