Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Limited, No NAV, No Eyesight, LED interior/footwell lights, OEM 1&1/4" bike hitch; iPhone7
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temporarily parked my '18 limited 3.6, turned the flashers on, locked it from the exterior door handle. Went inside for a few minutes, came out, and the FOB would NOT unlock anything, totally dead. Used the emergency key to unlock the door, alarm goes off, I use the FOB to stop it, then I startup and drive off. It was parked in the entryway of an apartment building with an overhang. This happened twice in the same day. Any ideas?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
The fob will not unlock a door with the vehicle on and running. Far as I know they've always been this way, as my 2002 does this as well. Granted I have a physical key and not a pushbutton/keyless etc.

·
Registered
'18 OB Limited 3.6R; '17 OB Limited 2.5i
25 Posts
I had the same question. Thanks for the clarification. Is the little valet key what you give to the valet or keep from him?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can see some of this behaviour on 2017 2.5i Outback (push button start) option too.

What can be done about that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Limited, No NAV, No Eyesight, LED interior/footwell lights, OEM 1&1/4" bike hitch; iPhone7
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Visited my Subaru dealer today on the above issue. They downloaded a software update to the BIU unit - poof! Problem solved.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,812 Posts
Visited my Subaru dealer today on the above issue. They downloaded a software update to the BIU unit - poof! Problem solved.
I am slowly starting to hate modern cars. I should not have to visit the dealer for a freakin’ software update.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Ltd.
70 Posts
Agree. Fob ridiculous complications. Just got 2018 Ltd last week. Shut off car, hmmm stereo still on, ok, get out to lock car, won’t lock because stereo on, get back in shut off stereo at volume button, close door touch handle then it locks. Been reading and reading still not sure.
2015, simple key with buttons, turn off ignition pull out key,stereo goes off, get out lock car with one button push simple simple.

2018, lock car by touching handle but hope it doesn’t re-open. Oooh so I never have take fob out of pocket. Try putting your extra fob in the car in luggage like I used to do. Screws things up. So just take the one fob when you travel. What if you lose it....

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Agree. Fob ridiculous complications. Just got 2018 Ltd last week. Shut off car, hmmm stereo still on, ok, get out to lock car, won’t lock because stereo on, get back in shut off stereo at volume button, close door touch handle then it locks. Been reading and reading still not sure.
2015, simple key with buttons, turn off ignition pull out key,stereo goes off, get out lock car with one button push simple simple.

2018, lock car by touching handle but hope it doesn’t re-open. Oooh so I never have take fob out of pocket. Try putting your extra fob in the car in luggage like I used to do. Screws things up. So just take the one fob when you travel. What if you lose it....
You can disable fob in multiple ways:

1. See page 2-18 of manual. It literally takes 2 seconds by pressing a secret button combination.
2. Wrap in foil.
3. Remove/disable battery.

For fob I permanently keep in car, I wrap in foil and disable battery.
For fob that will be constantly near car but still active otherwise, I do secret button combo.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Ltd.
70 Posts
Will try. Thanks. By disable it will still work with lock unlock button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Will try. Thanks. By disable it will still work with lock unlock button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. While disabled, if you press lock/unlock button on fob, then the fob will return to normal operation. In other words, you have to disable the fob again if that is what you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts