Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.I
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now 2 different key fobs that appear to sync as far as my car accepting the codes but the car does not lock/un-lock when I push said buttons. I bought one on ebay and another on amazon. The older one at one point was functional and suddenly quit working and the new one I bought I paired and such today and it won't work either. Could there be another component not working properly? Trying to not pay the $200.00 plus for a fob from a dealer. Also I checked fuses 3,7,12 which I saw on another thread they are both fine.

Thanks>

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
There is a max number of fobs that can be programmed with the car . I believe its 4 can be programmed for remote lock/unlock. Its possible the one fob that worked was at the end and was over written when programming the other two.

Try getting the original to work first. Then the other two.

The fob for remote lock/unlock takes patience to program. Which method are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
227 Posts
Keep in mind that used fobs are ~10yrs old. solder joints and switches do fail over time and use.

Were any of the replacements purchased new? Did you try them with fresh batteries?

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
I have now 2 different key fobs that appear to sync as far as my car accepting the codes but the car does not lock/un-lock when I push said buttons. I bought one on ebay and another on amazon. The older one at one point was functional and suddenly quit working and the new one I bought I paired and such today and it won't work either. Could there be another component not working properly? Trying to not pay the $200.00 plus for a fob from a dealer. Also I checked fuses 3,7,12 which I saw on another thread they are both fine.

Thanks>
I believe the 2005, like my 07, has a switch on the driver door to lock and unlock all the doors. Does it work?

The fob would also have a button for unlocking the rear hatch (only) and a "panic" button. Do these work?

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.I
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a max number of fobs that can be programmed with the car . I believe its 4 can be programmed for remote lock/unlock. Its possible the one fob that worked was at the end and was over written when programming the other two.

Try getting the original to work first. Then the other two.

The fob for remote lock/unlock takes patience to program. Which method are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have 2 the car did not come with one, I have tried to program both of them many times to no avail.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.I
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind that used fobs are ~10yrs old. solder joints and switches do fail over time and use.

Were any of the replacements purchased new? Did you try them with fresh batteries?
Both look brand new on the inside and I changed the batteries on one and the other I will try new batteries in.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.I
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the 2005, like my 07, has a switch on the driver door to lock and unlock all the doors. Does it work?

The fob would also have a button for unlocking the rear hatch (only) and a "panic" button. Do these work?

Not a single function on the fob works.

·
Registered
18,193 Posts
Not a single function on the fob works.
How about the direct-wired "lock/unlock" switch on the two front doors? (See page 2-10 of the Owners Manual)

The hard-wired switches work directly with the control module, so if they work, we know the control module and wiring to it, and to the door lock actuators, is good. That leaves the keyless entry module, which is separate and is essentially the radio receiver for the signals from the fobs. It verifies the fob security signal, and then sends the command (lock, unlock etc) on to the control module. Want to determine if the problem could be general, or specific to the wireless system.

Also, are you sure the fobs are the right ones for your 2005?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts