Subaru Outback Forums banner

Key issue

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Smitherie 
#1 ·
When I bought my outback I was told that the valet key could be immersed in water. I told him I surfed and always kept my key in my wetsuit. About a week after buying the car I was looking around the web for something and saw the key can't get wet after all. I emailed subaru to confirm and they said they can't make a key without electronics. Seeing as subaru are geared towards those who play outdoors this seems ridiculous. The sad part is today I received something g from Subaru and it has 2 guys with surf boards on top of the car. My question is what do they do with their key? Or better yet does anyone here have a solution. This is annoying and is impacting life style right now. Uggggg.

#3 ·
That's a great solution. But on the '13, I believe using a key without the chip will trigger the alarm. However, the alarm can be cancelled by pressing a button on the regular key, and then starting the car.

From what I have read in the Owner Manual, if you use a key without the chip in the ignition, the car will not start. Does the car also go into a "protected" mode?

#5 ·
x2 on the blank key, however the subaru key has odd teeth - can any local place cut one like that?

The alarm will go off, but again you can just click the real key's button and it'll turn off. On my Subaru, even if I unlock the door manually with my real key the alarm goes off - stupid design :28:

#6 ·
Subarus are for healthy, outdoor, politically woke people. All other cars are driven indoors, to avoid activity. The internet told you something.... well of course it did! And the internet never lies.

OK, I got THAT out my system! Now, the interesting thing is the internet was not completely wrong, nor was the dealer... each was partially correct. The result was a useless conclusion.

The RFID chip that is molded within the Subaru Valet key is as waterproof as the average duck. The components are potted in either a glass tube or a ceramic wedge. The thing that gets water damaged are the remote keyless entry devices that are in the MASTER keys.

The issue with the internet is akin to gold-mining...... 10% of the content is gold.... the rest is overburden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.