Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2000 Outback, manual trans. A few weeks ago I went to start my car, Got in, pushed the brake & clutch and turned the key. Everything is good, radio comes on, lights come on, but when I turn the key the the start position, to turn the engine over... All electrical power to the car dies. Just like someone pulled the battery out. No horn, no door locks, nothing. After some research and poking around with my multi meter I came to the ignition switch. Just the electrical portion, not the whole lock cylinder. When the switch is in the lock cylinder all power dies, when it's moved 1" out of the cylinder and turned with a screwdriver it starts right up. I placed it back into the lock cylinder and turned the keys and the car started. So I figured the must be a short in the switch and moving it about temporarily fixed it. Bought a new switch, installed it, drove around for a week and a half with no problems... and this morning I go to start my car and its back to shutting down all power. I'm at a bit of a loss here, the only other thing I can think would be the lock cylinder, because that's the only other part that has any change when removing the switch. With the switch out of the cylinder it starts right up with a screw driver every time, with either the new or old switch. Could the lock cylinder be responsible for this electrical problem? or is there something else I'm missing?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts