Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dodazzle, I just joined this forum as I am now having the dratted stuck key problem with my 2016 Outback. I have a dealer appointment this week and I'd like to go prepared with the documentation of the history of this issue. Of course one would hope that by this time SoA would be intimately familiar with the issue and maybe the dealer will just go ahead and apply the fix. It's so intermittent that they would be unlikely to reproduce it while they had my car. I would like to know if your fix from the fall of 2017 has kept the problem away. Thank you.

I have had NO incidents with the stuck key. Problem solved with the replacement of the shifter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Outback Ign Key Removal Sticks

This forum is great. Sounds like a design or mechanical/electrical malfunction in the Subaru design.
My Outback is 2 years old and has 22K miles and this key removal issue has become very frequent since it has gotten colder.
However, it still happens even when the car is fully warm inside. Does anyone have a sequence.interlock explanation of the conditions that must be met to remove the key or get it to turn to the removal position? I have tried all the things suggested on this forum and eventually I get lucky. Not a good thing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to have this problem. Been getting progressively worse. I find that if I follow the advice of vigorously pressing the shifter release button a few times, it lets me remove the key without fail. It is happening about 80% of the time now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2016 is doing the dreaded key stuck in the ignition so I contacted Subaru Canada (LMFAO) they said too bad so sad.Talk to your dealer pay the price than pay it again in 3 years and again.....I told them it's a documented problem even sent them the TSB number 16-112-18R. SUBARU CANADA SUCKS !!! Thanks for letting me vent.I told them I would post to any and every forum I could find.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Hi, Usually, starting the car, moving it a bit and stopping again allows him to get the key out.
After 2 dealer visits and 3 calls to Subaru of America, they have agreed to replace my shifter assembly.
having the same issue on my 16 legacy, unfortunately, I'm at 75000 miles, so out of warranty. hope Subaru does a recall on the issue
IMO this will eventually effect most Gen 5 with keys. I got soaked for $300 after less than 2 years in the car to fix a known issue that has almost nothing to do with mileage. Makes me wonder what it takes for something to qualify for a recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
key stuck in ignition- solved

The solution to this problem is to bring the Outback to the dealer and have the gear shift replaced. When it is not completely in the park position, the key cannot be removed. This is an in-warranty repair that cost me nothing, and now it works properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I got to join the stuck key in the ignition club this week about 2 weeks out of warranty. I'll be in communication with my dealer shortly. BTW I saw mention of the passenger window not working correctly and that's from a low battery fault that the dealer fixes with a reprogramming of the car's electronics. Mine so far hasn't at least had that problem again.

George

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I got to join the stuck key in the ignition club this week about 2 weeks out of warranty. I'll be in communication with my dealer shortly. BTW I saw mention of the passenger window not working correctly and that's from a low battery fault that the dealer fixes with a reprogramming of the car's electronics. Mine so far hasn't at least had that problem again.

George
UPDATE: Subaru covered my ignition switch repair (transmission shifter assy.) out of good will since not far out of warranty. Whew! :jump:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yankee

my key started getting stuck in my 17 outback about a month ago. dealer said it was a sensor switch in the shifting mechanize. Unfortunately this problem is so common in new england that there are 120 units on back order. I have a tentative apt on 7/17 for the fix assuming the part is in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All, I add myself to this group. I'm at the dealer today about my 2016 outback with 38,000 miles and after dealing with this silliness for pushing 12 months we decided to get the problem diagnosed and fixed. I tried to get Subaru America to cover the cost but this car warranty ended Sept of 2018 and this car was in an accident and now has a branded title which put it on Subaru's rejection list for good will despite the repairs being in the front end and fenders, parts that shouldn't have had any impact on the shifter. Plus so many of you have this problem and so I am confident and tried to appeal to Subaru that the problem had nothing to do with the title status.

I am contacting a class action lawyer to explain the problem to see if they will take on the case to sue Subaru and this forum is excellent evidence of the pervasiveness of the problem. Have any of you gone down that path?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am currently scheduling my 2017 for this same issue. I am just over 40k miles. Is this going to be covered due to the fact that we lease the car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this service done today on our 2016 Crosstrek. It is the same issue, but the part to be replaced in the Outback is the complete lever assembly. In the Crosstrek it is called a "plate guide b" failure. Both vehicles are discussed under "TSB 16-112-18R". You can google it. This IS NOT a current recall. We emailed customer service at Subaru of America BEFORE the appointment. The dealer wanted to charge $450 for parts and labor. I had them call back to Subaru of America and gave them a copy of the email chain... amazingly, the bill was paid by Subaru of America. They know this is a problem, so push for them to pay. My car had under 35K miles and was outside the warranty. They still paid, probably because it should be a recall, or will be at some point. This part should not be broken already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had mine fixed last week. I'm at 40k miles and over the warranty but the dealer covered it because they've dealt with a lot of them. I'm not super pleased that my MySubaru app didn't ever tell me there was an active TSB though. That TSB appears to have come out in March of 2018.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts