Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends. I am a new owner of a 2008 Outback. The key sometimes won't come out of the ignition. I've done some reading and youtubing to discover that this is a common problem. There is apparently a switch in the gear shifter assembly, but I can't find the part number. Any help? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
Since you are taking the console apart to get in there, you may start with cleaning out around the shifter assembly, including all the plugs and switches. You'd be surprised how much crap is going to be down there. Spilled coffee and sodas draw dirt and the muck makes switches stick.

If the switch doesn't work after cleaning it, then you can leave it apart while you wait on the part.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
141 Posts
Check your inhibitor switch, which is bolted to the side of the transmission. I had this issue, with my 90 legacy. The contacts inside the switch had warn down, so the car, never knew I was in park. You can test it, put car in Park, leave it in Park, and push on it a little not taking it out of Park, While you are pushing on it do you hear the park solenoid click.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts