Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my OB (2016 3.6 Ltd. w/ ES) from a Nissan dealer that had taken it in trade on a new truck. The car came with two key fobs, but the key tags with the magic numbers are nowhere to be found. Since it was a local car, I'm going to contact the dealer I bought it from to see if they can ask the prior owner about the tags, but assuming that doesn't pan out, can a Subaru dealer or SOA provide that info to me? If so, how much ransom might I be looking at?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,434 Posts
following. I have my Key tag but would like to know.

Reactions: Cincron

·
Registered
Silveru: 2015 Ice Silver Limited w/Tech, 3.6
98 Posts
There's a Subaru app (here in Canada, at least) that requires the user to enter the number from the key tag in order to register your car. If the user doesn't have the key tag, they are directed to contact Subaru of Canada by phone for assistance. Thinking that it wouldn't be too painful to get the information from Subaru of America and I don't see why it would cost you if the information can be provided over the phone or via email. Would be very interested to know what they would charge you for, except maybe something if you actually want them to send a new key tag. Good luck.

I purchased my OB (2016 3.6 Ltd. w/ ES) from a Nissan dealer that had taken it in trade on a new truck. The car came with two key fobs, but the key tags with the magic numbers are nowhere to be found. Since it was a local car, I'm going to contact the dealer I bought it from to see if they can ask the prior owner about the tags, but assuming that doesn't pan out, can a Subaru dealer or SOA provide that info to me? If so, how much ransom might I be looking at?

·
Registered
Wilderness Green 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium 2.5L (3rd Outback)
7 Posts
I bought my 2015 from a Subaru dealer, it was a lease return. The car salesman's daughter owned it and traded for a newer model. It didn't come with a key tag or the grey valet key that my 2010 came with. Not that I ever used either device. Just curious about getting one.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
The car came with two key fobs, but the key tags with the magic numbers are nowhere to be found. Since it was a local car, I'm going to contact the dealer I bought it from to see if they can ask the prior owner about the tags, but assuming that doesn't pan out, can a Subaru dealer or SOA provide that info to me?
Any Subaru dealer can look up that information on Subienet, with the VIN for the vehicle.

But ... you have to request that information in person. We're not allowed, by law, to give that information over the phone or over the internet. (Since, you know, that's the code that allows a locksmith to CUT a key for the car...)

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
345 Posts
I received my keys during delivery of my brand new Outback about six weeks ago. Most thorough new car briefing I have ever had. But, no one gave me tags with my keys. Is this a problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I received my keys during delivery of my brand new Outback about six weeks ago. Most thorough new car briefing I have ever had. But, no one gave me tags with my keys. Is this a problem?
One of the keys should have had a small metal tag on the ring. It's about an inch long, maybe 1/4" wide. That's what we're talking about. One of the reasons we give it to you and tell you to put it up with your papers is so that if you ever DO lose all your keys, you can have new ones cut from that code.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
345 Posts
One of the keys should have had a small metal tag on the ring. It's about an inch long, maybe 1/4" wide. That's what we're talking about. One of the reasons we give it to you and tell you to put it up with your papers is so that if you ever DO lose all your keys, you can have new ones cut from that code.

Nope. No one gave me that tag, nor told me to put with my papers. Seems like a typically thoughtful Subaru thing. I had keyless entry with my last two BMW's and they never gave me such a thing either. Perhaps they thought they could duplicate via the VIN. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2017 OB Touring 2.5L Wilderness Green/Java Brown Popular w/Package 5a
36 Posts
Nope. No one gave me that tag, nor told me to put with my papers. Seems like a typically thoughtful Subaru thing. I had keyless entry with my last two BMW's and they never gave me such a thing either. Perhaps they thought they could duplicate via the VIN. Thanks for the info.

The sales invoice emailed to me after working out a deal online for a 2017 Touring that I am picking up today, has a listing for "Key Code" and shows a 5 digit number. I'll ask about it today and report back.

I have seen the metal tag that Carl mentioned but I don't recall which car it came with but not a Subaru, possibly a Mazda.

FWIW, years ago, Kawasaki motorcycles had a 3 digit number stamped on one of the locks often the one to open the seat but also the fork lock. You could walk into a dealership and ask for a key number 753 (which was the number for my '73 Z1 - best bike ever!) and they would pull out a box of keys and rummage around until they found one. No questions asked. Several years later with a Suzuki, they asked to see my title or registration.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,542 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any Subaru dealer can look up that information on Subienet, with the VIN for the vehicle.

But ... you have to request that information in person. We're not allowed, by law, to give that information over the phone or over the internet. (Since, you know, that's the code that allows a locksmith to CUT a key for the car...)
Thanks Carl; that's the info I needed. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 OB Touring 2.5L Wilderness Green/Java Brown Popular w/Package 5a
36 Posts
Picked up our new 2017 Touring - heck of alot of info to go over with all the bells, whistles, gadgets and gizmos.

Anyway, salesman tossed the metal tag and keyring without me noticing. I did however remember to ask about the Key Code on the invoice and if there was a metal tag. He reached into his trash can and retrived it saying, "we always just toss them" but then in keeping with what Carl said, the salesman added that you can get a key cut according to the VIN.

I was also unaware of the key contained in the fob. Guess that means it's really still a key fob...:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts