Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 outback named Krugeroo. We bought it on friday the 13th.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new here I'm sure this has been asked before but cant find an answer. Were looking at a 2017 touring model in a couple of days and wounder what we do if the keyless system fails? How would we get into our outback and drive it? Does it give you a warning a few times before it quits? I'm guessing its a battery operated item? Never thought of that myself, but my wife brought it up. have never owned a keyless car before.
Thanks in advance.
Drew.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
new here I'm sure this has been asked before but cant find an answer. Were looking at a 2017 touring model in a couple of days and wounder what we do if the keyless system fails? How would we get into our outback and drive it? Does it give you a warning a few times before it quits? I'm guessing its a battery operated item? Never thought of that myself, but my wife brought it up. have never owned a keyless car before.
Thanks in advance.
Drew.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Dead Battery You are just S___ out of luck like any type vehicle, will not start.

:behead:

:welcome2:

·
Registered
2014 outback named Krugeroo. We bought it on friday the 13th.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!
Ive never had a keyless car, ok so keep spare batteries in the outback would be a good idea too.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
On My 2014 Foz replaced one FOB battery, My 2015 Leggy still on same battery. Keep in mind DO NOT leave FOB in the vehicle when not in use. Make sure you keep a good distance from the FOB and the vehicle so the vehicle will not stay awake and drain the battery.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
You can even buy a new battery for the fob and just leave it sealed in the little blister pack that it came inside of from the store; Put it in your glove-box as a spare. They will last +10 years if they are not installed in something and if you actually run the battery in the fob to dead-dead you can then replace it to get motoring again.

Of course I would go out and buy a new-fresh battery in the next few months. It is not a big deal, the batteries are like $4.

Reactions: DrewCfromSC

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
You can even buy a new battery for the fob and just leave it sealed in the little blister pack that it came inside of from the store; Put it in your glove-box as a spare. They will last +10 years if they are not installed in something and if you actually run the battery in the fob to dead-dead you can then replace it to get motoring again.

Of course I would go out and buy a new-fresh battery in the next few months. It is not a big deal, the batteries are like $4.
$4? That must be retail store pricing. How about .68 / each from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Lithium-Battery-Original-Packaging/dp/B00FO9HQLS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1526167985&sr=8-3&keywords=cr2032

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
188 Posts
We've had keyless start on all our vehicles during the last 10 years - Toyota, VW, Ford and now Subaru. It never has left me abandoned. Batteries have gone dead and holding it near the start button has always worked. Having a spare battery in the glovebox sounds like a good idea too. I'll never buy a vehicle without keyless start now, its just so convenient.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Some vehicles, like the Cadillac CTS, will warn you when the fob battery is low.

Not sure how it works, just know that it does.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I have had the key fob in my (other brand) car go close to dead. You get a bit of warning if you are at least half-observant; it just doesn't happen all at once.

I would find that the car would not start unless the fob was closer to the ignition and that the remote door unlock would not work halfway across the parking lot and I had to be right next to the car. While I knew that the battery was dying I ignored it until it was just about too late, then I bought a blister pack with four batteries (that car had two coin batteries in it). I left the unused batteries in the blister pack in the glovebox.

The batteries have an expiration date in the year 2022 so I think that it is reasonably safe for a while.

Of the things that can keep you from using your car I would put dead batteries in the key-fob pretty far down the list, unless you toss your keys in a puddle and keep them there for a few hours.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
363 Posts
It also beeps when I open the door with the motor turned off. I think it beeps sometimes just to amuse itself.

The one time I remember doing it was a busy noisy parking lot at a restaurant. Came out after dinner and the motor was running. I think I locked it as I was walking away, heard the beep, you know ...

This just occurred to me ... my Jeep has remote start. It you remote start it and then don't come get in and drive away with 15 minutes, it turns itself back off. Why don't all cars do that whenever you leave them running, in park, and walk away with the key?

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
It also beeps when I open the door with the motor turned off. I think it beeps sometimes just to amuse itself.
If our cars actually did have personalities;

Herbie the love-bug looks cute in a shopping mall parking lot.

Subie the mud-bug is happy climbing up a hillside of gravel and rocks.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,110 Posts
Toyota used to provide a charging slot in the Prius dash for their keyless entry / starting fob, and combined it with a lithium ion battery in the fob as opposed to a disposable coin cell. It was a very good feature; once a year or so it would sense the fob weakening and ask you to put it in the slot, and once you had it in for a half hour or so you were good to go another year. They took the feature away at some point, and I recall the salesman's schtick when I asked where it was:

him: "You won't need to plug the fob into the dash any longer, that's a feature."
me: "It's still battery operated, correct?"
him: "Yes."
me: "So that means when the battery runs down I have to go purchase a new battery, open the fob, and replace it, correct? And that there's a small risk it could strand me. The old system really was no trouble whatsoever. So how is a disposable battery a feature?"
him: "Well, I guess it isn't."

I swear, these guys just recite some script they put together in their head without ever thinking it through.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premier
27 Posts
Good to know that it will start. I’m new to keyless start.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,664 Posts
I have spare fob batteries in my glove box of my 2015. After 3 1/2 years, I'm still on the original batteries.

I'm not too worried. If the battery totally dies, I just open the drivers door with the blade key embedded in the fob. The RFID chip in the fob will still start the car if I hold it close to the dash if the LiIo battery in the fob isn't strong enough to open the door. I have spare batteries so no big deal prying open the fob to install the battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts