Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback. It's my first Subaru and I was very excited to find it. However, today, I put the key in the ignition, and it wouldn't turn at all. After fiddling with the key in the ignition with no luck, I did a little research. I tried the trick of moving the gearshift out of park and forcefully back into park (difficult to shift out of park, but not impossible), and the trick of rocking the car back and forth, as well as pumping the brake pedal a few times. I did manage to get the key to turn, and the car to start, several times--but since I had been trying multiple tricks each time, I'm not too sure what did it.

But I did notice that, right before I was able to turn the key, it felt like the ignition would grab onto the key. This happened each time I was able to start the car. So my question is--what is it that makes the ignition grab onto the key? Is there a switch in there that is failing? Or is it either the brake solenoid, or the shift lock solenoid, or both? I would like to be able to start the car reliably, each time!

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
Was the steering wheel turned by any chance, the wheel has a lock that will stop the key from turning if it’s engauged. It’s very easy to engage the lock accidentally just lean on or rub the wheel as your getting out.

To fix just jiggle the wheel as you turn the key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was the steering wheel turned by any chance, the wheel has a lock that will stop the key from turning if it’s engauged. It’s very easy to engage the lock accidentally just lean on or rub the wheel as your getting out.

To fix just jiggle the wheel as you turn the key.
I should have mentioned that before--the steering wheel wasn't locked, either. I tried that, too, to no avail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts