Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new Garnet Red OBXT Ltd was keyed from stem to stern (literally from rear tailight lense to front lense!). :3: Gotta love living in Philadelphia.

Any suggestions as to where to take it to get best chance of near-factory paint job? Dealer? Reputable Body shop?

Thanks

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I just don't understand what motivates some people. :( Anyway, no advice really, but look on the bright side. It wont be hard for them to blend it in! :D

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
BUMMER! No advice per se. There have been a couple of threads on this very issue earlier on this site.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
time for some side stripes? i always thought a Mimbreno snake motif would be way cool down the side of an OB....:)

sorry to hear. it's not like this was a BMW, Hummer, or other hate-object car, ya wish the angry or bored element would just leave it alone and go find "better" stuff to key.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly, the whole "never own something you love" philosophy of life certainly pounds out some of life's bumps, but where's the fun in that?

(So I take it noone has strong opinions on where I should take it for repair . . ._

·
Registered
333 Posts
Some advice once you pick a shop- having a great reputation doesn't mean that every employee is conscientious. My previous car was backed into. I took it to the "best shop in town" known for restoring high-end Euro cars. It got assigned to some punk fresh outta trade school. He was paid by the job (not by the hour) & wasn't good enough to work fast, so guess who got screwed?

My brother just had a 2nd deer-related repair done to his truck. He returned to the dealer's body shop that did great work on the 1st repair just a couple years ago. This time its a mess.

If you take the recommendation of a happy customer, try to find out the techie who did the work & request them specifically.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Yes, like what MrEd said. Find some happy body shop customers and go that route. Unfortunately it may get extremely expensive to blend in all the body panels that were affected. I had my two-tone left front fender painted the 'right' way and it was over $700 for them to do it. It was a nice job, too.

But it's the pain of all the labor and prepwork and blending that will hit the pocketbook. I feel your pain. Why can't someone just destroy the stuff they own. Brian

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for everyone's input on this. finally got it fixed ($1200!!) and it looks great. I went back and forth re: if I should even bother, but overall I am happy to have my baby restored!

Hopefully, if it gets keyed again the villain will have the courtesy to do the passenger side so I don't have to look at it each time I open the door!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah -- these trivial cosmetic repairs turn out to be major undertakings: the part usually needs to be completely removed, then paint matched, blended, clearcoated, and reinstalled. It's a complete PIA if the job is to be done right. I was lucky that the bodyshop I selected was, by coincidence, a "preferred shop" for my insurance agency. This meant that the shop could basically do whatever it wanted to get the job done and I didn't have to worry about an adjuster denying the claim or tying the shop's hands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
rgombine
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing