Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just bought a 1997 Legacy outback over the weekend. After finding all the orginal paperwork in the glove compartment I found that it was equiped with keyless enrty and a security alarm. However I did not get the keychain. I looked it all over and it looks to be all hooked up. Where do I go to get a new keychain and get it set up to work with my system. I see that AUtozone now says they cary them, can they get it to work? Any ideas? I could maybe do it myself if somone knows how.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I'd check ebay first.

My old remote broke last summer and I found an exact copy on ebay for only $10.

Look for an all black, rectangular shaped one. I'm not sure if the newer, curvy w/colored buttons remote works, but I'm positive the OEM for the '97 Outback is all black and rectangular.

Try searching for "97 outback remote" or "subaru remote" or "outback remote."

If you don't have any luck on ebay, then as a last resort I'd head to an auto parts store to see what they have, but you'll probably find something cheaper on ebay.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,551 Posts
FMGreen said:
I'd check ebay first.

My old remote broke last summer and I found an exact copy on ebay for only $10.

Look for an all black, rectangular shaped one. I'm not sure if the newer, curvy w/colored buttons remote works, but I'm positive the OEM for the '97 Outback is all black and rectangular.

Try searching for "97 outback remote" or "subaru remote" or "outback remote."

If you don't have any luck on ebay, then as a last resort I'd head to an auto parts store to see what they have, but you'll probably find something cheaper on ebay.
Great advice. Check the dealer price first so you'll know what ebay can save you (after doing a search, click the 'completed items' button to see what they have been selling for."
Also, you 'may' need to confirm the FCC number on the car matches the number on the back of the remote.
good luck

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
This is one of the two remotes that came with my 1998.

Note - if you disconnect the car's battery, the parking lights will flash at regular intervals upon re-connection, until you lock/unlock the doors with the remote.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
509 Posts
dead horse thread

i bought a 98 LOB and i think it may have had keyless, but am not that sure (no fobs) are there any telltale signs that it did? what can i look for?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Two signs that it definitely did have keyless:

Look at the fog light on/off switch if you see a little red LED/light to the right of that then chances are you've got keyless.

You can also get down and look under your steering column down where your feet would be, left of the brake. There should be a fuse box, if there is also another black box/block there see if you can read it, that is where my alarm computer is stored.

Also, I'm not positive about this one, but I believe there is a seperate fuse channel for a keyless system, so you might look through the manual and find the fuse box diagram and see if it mentions anything about keyless, if it does you can then check inside your fuse box and see if there is or is not a fuse in the appropriate keyless slot.

Now that I think about it though, I doubt that's right. It would be a major security flaw if it was as someone could just remove that fuse to disable the alarm, hahaha. It probably gets power through the ignition source or something required to start the car.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
AFAIK they all have keyless, I know I did not order it as an option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts