Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2015 outback 3.6 w/ keyless entry.

Up until about a week ago I could unlock the car just by having the fob in my pocket and touching the driver's door handle, just like you're supposed to be able to.

Now I can't. Key fob buttons work fine for unlocking but the "touch to unlock" feature is now gone.

Any ideas how to fix this?

(And sorry if this has been posted up before. I checked through manual and I searched this forum using terms "door, handle, touch, unlock, keyless" and others and did not get a hit - at least in the first 3 or pages of responses.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
I'm nowhere near my car at the moment so can't check, but there is a process to turn off the "touch to unlock" feature when you use the option to lock your key fob in the car so that you can go swimming or whatever, and then use the secret code through the button on the tailgate to re-enter the car. Wonder if you accidentally got that activated?

·
Registered
07 WRX Wagon / 15 Outback 3.6R
49 Posts
Does the passenger door or hatch open with the touch feature or is it only the drivers door that doesn't work? If nothing works the proximity sensor might be turned off. You can try unlocking the car then lock the drivers door from the inside manually then press and hold the lock button and trunk open button on the key fob for around 30 seconds. Your should hear a chirp. This disable/enables the proximity sensor.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,845 Posts
^ Good suggestions. Also see if your spare fob works. I guess it could be a battery problem, but the fact that the buttons work would suggest otherwise.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
4,983 Posts
I'm nowhere near my car at the moment so can't check, but there is a process to turn off the "touch to unlock" feature when you use the option to lock your key fob in the car so that you can go swimming or whatever, and then use the secret code through the button on the tailgate to re-enter the car. Wonder if you accidentally got that activated?
Yes, there is. But you have to set a pin for the rear lift gate first, then set it with the fob. I've had this problem, where I couldn't just tap the handle, but had to rub the handle with my finger. If that doesn't work, and you haven't programed a pin for the rear gate and pushed the lock and trunk buttons simultaneously to disable the fob for storing in the car, it's time to get it to the dealer service department.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Does the passenger door or hatch open with the touch feature or is it only the drivers door that doesn't work? If nothing works the proximity sensor might be turned off. You can try unlocking the car then lock the drivers door from the inside manually then press and hold the lock button and trunk open button on the key fob for around 30 seconds. Your should hear a chirp. This disable/enables the proximity sensor.
Smart suggestion. But this feature ONLY works after you set a pin for the rear lift gate. And it only takes about 5 seconds to turn the proximity sensor off and on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there is. But you have to set a pin for the rear lift gate first, then set it with the fob. I've had this problem, where I couldn't just tap the handle, but had to rub the handle with my finger. If that doesn't work, and you haven't programed a pin for the rear gate and pushed the lock and trunk buttons simultaneously to disable the fob for storing in the car, it's time to get it to the dealer service department.
I never programmed the PIN for the rear-lift gate.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
@tde
If you haven't programed a pin it's impossible to disable the zone detection.
Have you tried swiping your finger over the handle? especially where the indents are located? That's where the sensor is located.
If yes, then it's time for a trip to the service department.
Or, do you have a hard time starting your car? Your fob battery might be getting low.
It could also be that the cars battery is getting low as well. Do you store your car for long periods of time? I ask this because as your battery drains, your system will disable features to save the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved.

If you insert the physical key, and turn it in the direction that does NOT unlock the door (counterclockwise, I believe) it will turn on/off the "touch to open" feature.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the extra key and went out and - it worked fine. Then i took my regular key fob out and now it's work. Must be the magic of the wife's key fob.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having a similar, but slightly different problem. When I try to lock the car with the touch sensor on the door handle, the it emits a constant beep and the lights come on, until I take my finger off the sensor. Does this on both doors, and with both key fobs. I'll try some suggestions here, but anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,631 Posts
Pretty sure that only happens when there's a fob inside the car - it's set up so you can't lock the fob inside accidentally.
I've had that happen a couple of times when I was swapping between winter & summer houses. I couldn't lock the car. After a few seconds of head scratching, it was "oh yeah, the other fob is in the car".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely no fob in the car. Maybe the sensor(s) are off and think the fob is in there. Ugh.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 2.5
122 Posts
Having a similar, but slightly different problem. When I try to lock the car with the touch sensor on the door handle, the it emits a constant beep and the lights come on, until I take my finger off the sensor. Does this on both doors, and with both key fobs. I'll try some suggestions here, but anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
How long are you touching the sensor? I just quickly touch it to lock the Outback

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2015 outback 3.6 w/ keyless entry.
Up until about a week ago I could unlock the car just by having the fob in my pocket and touching the driver's door handle, just like you're supposed to be able to.
Now I can't. Key fob buttons work fine for unlocking but the "touch to unlock" feature is now gone.
Thanks.
2019 Outback Touring Touch to Lock/Unlock Inop.
I have a 2019 Outback Touring with the same issue since I took it in for service earlier this week. I tried everything listed here to date without success. My fob also works fine but the touchless entry/lock doesn't work anymore. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in which is very inconvenient for me. The next think I'm going to try is to look through the settings of the console screen in the car, maybe they did a software update that changed a setting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts