Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up this morning with the car door unlocked before i even approached it with my keys. Keyless entry system. Wife opened the door from passenger side. Found that my car was unlocked the whole night and found that someone has been in my car and took some valuables. Definitely locked the car before i left it. What I am upset the most about is that it makes my wife feel unsafe because now they know where we live. Car info in glove compartment. Was probably a teen since Ezpass wasnt taken and driver seat was adjusted very close to steering column. The car was parked right outside our apartment, on the second floor. Sidewalk about 10 feet away. How could this have happened? Is there any know issues?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
Unlocking the car by accident is likely. Where do you keep your keys. Jamming a key in a pocket or purse can push buttons. A fob cover will prevent this. A fob unlock can also change the seat to a memory position. Or, you only think you locked the car. Are you positive things were stolen?

·
Registered
17 OB 2.5i
42 Posts
I'm still suspicious about keyless entry. Every time I lock the car, I physically test it on the back door.
Tend to also press the lock button again from a distance.

I wish it auto-locked when you walk away, like just about every other keyless car I have come across.
My brothers one locks after 60 seconds after you walk away.
It's annoying when you don't have the fob, but I appreciate the assurance.

I second the suggestion on the key fob cover. Bought a cheap PU leather one from Fleebay and it's been great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. Things were gone from the car. My android charger cabel and a nintendo 3ds and sone spare change in the armrest. Keys were next to the door in our apartment. Put it in there as soon as we get home. But i did walk pass the car later the last night to get some groceries but we were at least 5 feet away from the curb. No way the car can be unlocked from that and not lock itself because of the proximity sensors?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
209 Posts
There do seem to be some things I need to learn still about the locking / unlocking process. And I've had the car for months and 4000 miles almost.
Today for example, the wife, dog, and me go to the park. At one stop the wife decided to stay in the car and knit while I walk the dog. We both have a key fob with us. I walk off with the dog, she locks the car from the inside while I'm gone. When I get back shes snoozing and I touch the door handle like usual to get in, but it don't work. No beep, no nothing. She unlocked it from inside for me. I didn't try to figure it out yet (or read the manual) but it must of had something to do with her key fob being in her purse in the car. Make sense, idk?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,715 Posts
In a year of use, one time I came to my car in a parking lot to see the trunk was open. I did not open the trunk and I know it was closed before I left.

This was after I stuffed my car key in with another set of borrowed keys. I assume it managed to hit the 'trunk open" button without me noticing.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in White, 2018 Crosstrek Dark Gray
388 Posts
There do seem to be some things I need to learn still about the locking / unlocking process. And I've had the car for months and 4000 miles almost.
Today for example, the wife, dog, and me go to the park. At one stop the wife decided to stay in the car and knit while I walk the dog. We both have a key fob with us. I walk off with the dog, she locks the car from the inside while I'm gone. When I get back shes snoozing and I touch the door handle like usual to get in, but it don't work. No beep, no nothing. She unlocked it from inside for me. I didn't try to figure it out yet (or read the manual) but it must of had something to do with her key fob being in her purse in the car. Make sense, idk?
I know you can lock a fob inside the car by using the door lock button on the second fob. You can then only unlock the car with the unlock button on the fob. I would guess she locked the doors from the inside with the door button.

You can run a test by having your wife with a fob lock the doors from the inside. Then you unlock the doors from the outside with the button on the second fob.
This would be good to know in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
209 Posts
I know you can lock a fob inside the car by using the door lock button on the second fob. You can then only unlock the car with the unlock button on the fob. I would guess she locked the doors from the inside with the door button.

You can run a test by having your wife with a fob lock the doors from the inside. Then you unlock the doors from the outside with the button on the second fob.
This would be good to know in case of an emergency.
Thanks and you are correct. We just went out in the garage and tried it. It makes sense now.

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
785 Posts
Was probably a teen since Ezpass wasnt taken and driver seat was adjusted very close to steering column.
A teen? Not necessarily. When I break into cars, I don't take the EZpass because they have serial numbers and freeway cameras can record the user's car. And I always move the seats forward to look for valuables under them...electronics, guns, house keys, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
51 Posts
I previously had the issue where we couldn't lock the car -- someone dropped the extra key in the cargo area, and so it wouldn't let us lock up. Mildly frustrating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts