Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Pardon my ignorance, but I just don't get it. Any this? Is it pain? Looking at 3.6 Touring but don't want this ignition. Can you forget to turn the car off, with no key in the ignition? What do you do for valet parking? How does this work?

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I find it to be a step backwards. Reminds me of the '39 Chevy farm truck I drove cutting tobacco as a young teenager. To me, just another silly gimmick.

I can't speak for the Subaru but GM products will sound the horn if you walk away from a running car with the key fob in your pocket. Sort of hard to forget to turn it off.

Have not used valet parking in my 50 years of driving so have no idea how that works.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
447 Posts
Like with any valet, you'd hand them the key and they take with them and park/lock and secure the car (lock it) and hang on to the keys like any other car. Then when you come back, they take your key with them to unlock, start and hand you back the key when you get your car back and you leave. I LOVE push button start and the engine isn't that quiet that you'd forget to shut it off/walking away. Also, the car will "chirp/chime" if you step out with it running and you have your keys with you/exited the vehicle.

You do not put a key in anything unless there is an issue like a dead battery in the keyfob.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
228 Posts
Alohaed, don't pass on the car just because of the key thing. More and more are using keyless ignition, and ignition keys are likely to disappear on all cars in a few years. I just purchased a 2016 3.6R Ltd. and it's my first keyless ignition experience in 41 years of driving, other than with a couple of rental cars. It feels weird at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly, just like we all did with power windows, ABS, etc.

Reactions: cwescapexlt4x4

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
You do not put a key in anything unless there is an issue like a dead battery in the keyfob.
Keep in mind that the dash is going to tell you that the battery level in the key fob is getting low. And you're not starting it with the small key - that's only to unlock the door or lock the glovebox.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ Eyesight, Keyless, Nav, Moonroof
96 Posts
This is the first car I've had with the push button start and I enjoy it. I thought it not much value add at first but a benefit is you don't need to take the key out of your pocket to unlock the door. Just leave the key in your pocket when you drive. Ask the dealer to demo the functions for you.
I've never had a problem with forgetting to turn off the engine (engine noise and an audible alert if I leave the car running are sufficient).

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
This is actually something that I would have liked to have had on my 2018 Outback, if there was a list of regrets I have in not getting a Limited 3.6 Outback this would be one of the things on the list.

I have developed a paranoia that I will lock my keys in my car, it is bad enough that I actually have to be looking at my keys in my hand while locking the car just to have the assurance that I did not lock them in the car. Strange I know and I don't know how it came about but I do know that if I had keyless entry with pushbutton start this issue would go away because I would never remove the key from my pocket while in the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,954 Posts
You simply cannot lock the fob in the car unless you go through a series of steps and sequences that will semi-boggle your mind and among those steps is setting the PIN code on the hatch panel.

Keyless is a great feature.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. One more question, I do assume then when putting the car through a car wash, you must give the fob to the attendant?

·
Registered
65 Posts
i drove a loaner with it, and man I wish my 2015 had it.

The wife's Prius has it. I enjoy never having to remove the keys from the pocket. It's nice when traveling because she doesn't usually want to carry the keys anyway(she's the distance driver as well), so when we take the Prius she never has to even touch them.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited- Ice-SM ES
16 Posts
This is actually something that I would have liked to have had on my 2018 Outback, if there was a list of regrets I have in not getting a Limited 3.6 Outback this would be one of the things......
??? How is it possible that you don't have the push-start ignition. According to the dealership(and Subaru.com) that I just purchased my 2017 2.5 Ltd. from(which, incidentally, has this feature), 2018 3.6 Ltd. ES's come standard with it.

Would love to see an image.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I'm so used to push button ignition... I drive a service vehicle at work with a key and always climb into the seat, then remember I gotta get back out of the vehicle and dig the keys out of my pocket!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
??? How is it possible that you don't have the push-start ignition. According to the dealership(and Subaru.com) that I just purchased my 2017 2.5 Ltd. from(which, incidentally, has this feature), 2018 3.6 Ltd. ES's come standard with it.

Would love to see an image.
I don't have a 3.6 Outback, I have a Premium trim with Eyesight. Among the things I regret not having, aside from the engine, are keyless entry with pushbutton start.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited- Ice-SM ES
16 Posts
I don't have a 3.6 Outback, I have a Premium trim with Eyesight. Among the things I regret not having, aside from the engine, are keyless entry with pushbutton start.
Ah.....I see. My bad, I completely misread that.

My last three cars have had it. Once you get used to it, it's hard to imagine going back to a physical key.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our current two vehicles (Outback and Corolla) have push button, and would never go back.

My father-in-law BMW has push button as well, but unfortunately during our vacation his vehicle broke down which required renting a vehicle. It was funny seeing him forget every time that he required a key. He'd sit down in the car, and then have to fish the key out of his back pocket.

Any concern one would have with push-button starts are scenarios that could all likely happen with old keys. I could never go back.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
128 Posts
I was hesitant at first about the push button start. But Subaru has executed it's use extremely well. To lock the doors you only have to touch the top of the door handle and the doors lock. To unlock, you just grab the handle as if you're opening the door and can hear it unlock. No pushing any buttons. It just can't get any easier than that.

The starting and stopping works extremely well also. It's obvious when the car is running and you walk away from it, because the car starts beeping briefly. Of course, you can hear it running, too.

I've found the push button start on my Outback works better than other vehicle's. As an example, the Mazda we own with push button, has you pushing a rubber covered button on the door handle to lock or unlock. Not too difficult. But Subaru's method is just better (IMHO).

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
447 Posts
Thanks for all the input. One more question, I do assume then when putting the car through a car wash, you must give the fob to the attendant?
yes or just leave in the car/cup holder

·
Registered
24 Posts
KingSlayer;4988129 Once you get used to it said:
I'm agnostic about it, BUT (and not that it happens often) it is nice to open the passenger door, insert the key and start the car without foot on the brake push button start. It normally happens on hot/cold days when you open the passenger door for your partner but still have a few things to do before you get settled and so now you can turn on the car, heat/AC etc while you do your stuff. 0:)

·
Registered
STi>Forester>Crosstrek>Outback
13 Posts
Also to the OP: If you are concerned about the Valet having access to your paperwork in the glove box etc. you actually have a physical key in the fob that comes out that allows you to lock the glovebox and keep the key so the Valet will not have access to your stuff.

I have had 3 vehicles now with push button start and never want to go back I have removed vehicles off my desired list simply for lack of this feature.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
67 Posts
I thought I would hate it and I love it. I love keeping my keys in my pocket or purse and simply walking up to the door, grabbing the handle, and it opens. I can see this being a minor thing that I would call a must-have in the future. And, bonus, it did not let me lock the keys in the car. I thought they were in my pocket but they were still in the car and as I'm trying to lock it by touching the handle it kept beeping at me. I was like "WHAT??!!?!" Oh yeah, keys are in there, thanks car!

The only downside for me is like what a previous commenter said, having to have the driver sit down and press the brake. Sometimes my passenger will get it first and I can't simply hand off the keys to get it started and heated or cooled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts