Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 Outback Legacy wagon. The car will not enter programming mode. I lost one remote and bought some others and have been trying to program them. I have done everything exactly as the manual suggests and nothing works. I cannot seem to get the car to go into programming mode. It beeps at me when I turn off the alarm and reacts perfectly to my 1 working remote but will not respond to the programming instructions. The manual and other sites say to turn the key in the ignition to the "on" setting 10 or more times within 15 seconds and you will hear a beep. I've tried this countlless times with no reaction. It never beeps or honks at me. I've turned the honk feature on and off with no change. Any ideas? I would like to avoid paying the exorbitant fee the dealer charges for what should be simple thing to do. Help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
keyless remoto...no answer??

Does anyone a=have any ideas at all or am I fated to bring it to the dealer and spend large sums of money? Please send help!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i've been having the same problem. just saw link under topic in this sub-forum "programming keyless entry remote" which seems to have the answer....you don't quit at cycling the ign switch 10x but continue until it honks at you. i'm gonna try it tonight...i can engineer a custom fuel injection system and rebuild a motor, i oughta be able to program the dang remote w/o dealer assistance!!!

keep us posted on what you learn and i'll try to do the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
solution to programming

I finally figured it out. The key (no pun intended) is to get in the car, shut the door and begin the process, very, very quickly. It's not necessarily important how fast you turn the key but how quickly you begin the process upon entering the vehicle. I was getting in, preparing to start the process, sitting for a few moments, and then trying to do everything as detailed in the instructions. Just get in, shut the door and begin. Hope this helps. It seemed like a miracle when it finally worked. I tried everyone I knew, posted loads of messages, and no one had the answer. Best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
rosindabow
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing