Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Kicker Tweeter upgrade from Subaru in my 2021 Outback Onyx XT.

The stereo in the Onyx is essentially awful. No amplifier and the stock speakers are garbage. I am having the dealer install the Rockford Fosgate upgrade on Wednesday which includes aa 400W amplifier and front door speakers. The tweeters are upgraded separately. The RF purchase and install is costing nearly $700 but the tweeter upgrade only costs about $100 and is easily installed in about 30 minutes by anyone who can turn a screw driver patiently.

This is the best $100 upgrade I have ever done. The difference in the sound for just changing out the tweeters is amazing. The poor door speakers will now sound bad by comparison but the difference is dramatic.

Though the RF install on Wednesday will replace the front speakers, I have purchased different (better front speakers) and also bought new rear speakers. (All Kicker brand) I will be changing them out this weekend and will also be putting some Dynamat sound deadening on the doors. I’ll update this thread with pics on that effort.

Look at the difference between the stock tweeter that weighed about an oz compared to the Kicker which was heavy by comparison. The holes did not line up with the new bracket so I used a washer to hold down the one side. This method has been tired and tested by others.

Highly recommend this mod for those who do not have a Harmon Karden. You will need a screwdriver like the one shown in the photo. There is no room for even a stubby screwdriver or a ratchet.

·
Registered
20 Onyx XT
10 Posts
Absolutely agree. I’m new to wrenching on stuff and this install was plenty easy. I had to pick up a few fender washers to fit the screws as well. I picked up some plastic spudger tools off Amazon to pop open the grills. I’m also no audiophile but it does sound markably better - “normal” to my average ears. Absolutely recommend to any owner.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
30 Posts
I just installed the Kicker Tweeter upgrade from Subaru in my 2021 Outback Onyx XT.

The stereo in the Onyx is essentially awful. No amplifier and the stock speakers are garbage. I am having the dealer install the Rockford Fosgate upgrade on Wednesday which includes aa 400W amplifier and front door speakers. The tweeters are upgraded separately. The RF purchase and install is costing nearly $700 but the tweeter upgrade only costs about $100 and is easily installed in about 30 minutes by anyone who can turn a screw driver patiently.

This is the best $100 upgrade I have ever done. The difference in the sound for just changing out the tweeters is amazing. The poor door speakers will now sound bad by comparison but the difference is dramatic.

Though the RF install on Wednesday will replace the front speakers, I have purchased different (better front speakers) and also bought new rear speakers. (All Kicker brand) I will be changing them out this weekend and will also be putting some Dynamat sound deadening on the doors. I’ll update this thread with pics on that effort.

Look at the difference between the stock tweeter that weighed about an oz compared to the Kicker which was heavy by comparison. The holes did not line up with the new bracket so I used a washer to hold down the one side. This method has been tired and tested by others.

Highly recommend this mod for those who do not have a Harmon Karden. You will need a screwdriver like the one shown in the photo. There is no room for even a stubby screwdriver or a ratchet.

View attachment 504631
View attachment 504632
View attachment 504633

Nice! I have the RF upgrade on my Onyx 21' as well. I've replaced the tweeters, front speakers, and rear speakers with Kicker CS series. You're really going to like it once you have everything installed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts