Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2001 Forester, 1997 Legacy wagon, 2.2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Thanks !

My 01 Forester has a fairly loud klunk in suspension. It happens when stepping on brake pedal, and when going over bumps in road (not braking).

I heard what I thought sounded like something slamming, it sounded (I think) close to firewall, as if (oh no) a rear engine mount was bad, but I'm not even sure it has a rear mount, However cannot be sure where that slam really is coming from. The slam is simultaneous with the klunk, maybe even is the same thing, not a separate sound

* Even with light pedal pressure.
* It also klunks when brake pedal is released, but not quite as loud and forceful.
* Steering wheel does not pull or jolt when it happens.
* Has new struts.
* If stomp hard on brake pedal, klunk becomes louder, like slam.

Also when (not braking) tires hit the road at bottom of a driveway ramp where road surface angle changes abruptly, or when tires hit the start of the same driveway ramp (going up).

Any & all help is appreciated !

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
stone guard on the back of the brake coming in contact with something moving. such happens when the suspension articulates.

fix is to put it up on a lift, find the one that is "too close" and bend it back where it belongs.

I had one do all that on the right rear. (made a clanging noise, or a drum stick on a empty soda can,...loud though).

edit: and once the car gets up on a lift,...other things should be obvious.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Front sway bar body side bushings or front sway bar end links is one thing to look at.

The front lower control arm has both a rear and inner bushing. I would check those out as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much guys !!!

This quote below was at no speed, just rolling down the ramp. Ramp has a lip where it meets road. That lip is maybe an inch or more above the road surface. I was surprised to hear the klunk then....(not braking).

...Also when (not braking) tires hit the road at bottom of a driveway ramp where road surface angle changes abruptly, or when tires hit the start of the same driveway ramp (going up).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on Klunkety Klunk

Update: Well, I got a mechanic to put the 01 Forester on a lift. He showed me two Klunky things: 1) Control arm bushings are worn pretty bad. 2) ...and Tie rods need replacing. Torn boot, wiggly wheels. Honolulu prices: $550 for bushings. And then $450 for tie rods and alignment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some replies went 'poof'...gone.

A few weeks ago, this thread had about 12 replies with great advice from esteemed members...Then yesterday I went to jot down the advice and only 3 replies remained. Whats up with that? I remembered most advice so no big deal. Just wondering why thread got partly amputated.....Cost-cutting measures? Advice for future member searchers apparently disappeared ?

On the Super Mod Squad
A few weeks ago, this thread had about 12 replies with great advice from esteemed members...Then yesterday I went to jot down the advice and only 3 replies remained. Whats up with that? I remembered most advice so no big deal. Just wondering why thread got partly amputated.....Cost-cutting measures? Advice for future member searchers apparently disappeared ?
I don't see anything missing at this time on my screen.
@administrator ? do you see anything ?

On the Super Mod Squad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I searched google for this same thread title, wondering if there was any cached versions.

and look what I found on USMB.

Klunkety Klunk when braking, and when... - 1990 to Present Legacy, Impreza, Outback, Forester, Baja, WRX&WrxSTI, SVX - Ultimate Subaru Message Board
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/images/SubaruOutback_2014/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png Uh-Oh... Oh No... My bad ! SORRY ! Thanks for clearing that up ! Nowadays I sometimes sink to blaming Old Age and Oleo for some of my goofs, (even for flinging wild senile unfounded allegations across the world wide web)

On the Super Mod Squad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just go out and teach some dogs how to surf....or sail. (no getting eaten by sharks )
Roger, will do. Thats priceless surfing footage! Dogs are great. ....... Blaming Oleo came from the book Blue Highways: A Journey into America, by William Least Heat Moon. He collected stories in 1970s, traveling the back roads in a van ....... In one conversation about America going to a hot place in a handbasket, one old codger said something like "The way I see it, all our troubles began with Oleo". I liked that one. Makes sense in a way.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>From a review:............. He took this trip in the late 1970s, so the prices he mentions are a lot lower than the ones we see today. In addition, he met and talked with people who fought in or remembered World War I, which sounds a little jarring if you don't take the time into consideration. I also couldn't help wondering whether some of the places he visited still exist and what has happened to the rest. All the same, he shows us a recognizable America.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.