Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. For a little while now, my car has been running really badly when it gets wet. I assume it's an o2 sensor. Whenever it rains, I go through a car wash, or just whenever the car gets wet in general, my car throws codes like crazy and it runs horribly. Anything I can do? Thank you!

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. For a little while now, my car has been running really badly when it gets wet. I assume it's an o2 sensor. Whenever it rains, I go through a car wash, or just whenever the car gets wet in general, my car throws codes like crazy and it runs horribly. Anything I can do? Thank you!
If you don't tell us what codes you are throwing, we can't help much.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 02 sensor will cause erratic behavior like you are describing. Mine would occasionally throw the dreaded P0420 when I was driving in heavy rain but it never affected the performance - well, maybe just a little, but hardly noticeable.

Maybe you have water splashing up on the coils (I don't know if your's has plug wires - my car only has individual coil packs) or plug wires...

Can you get your hands on a code reader?

Present your data and somebody on here will help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't tell us what codes you are throwing, we can't help much.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 02 sensor will cause erratic behavior like you are describing. Mine would occasionally throw the dreaded P0420 when I was driving in heavy rain but it never affected the performance - well, maybe just a little, but hardly noticeable.

Maybe you have water splashing up on the coils (I don't know if your's has plug wires - my car only has individual coil packs) or plug wires...

Can you get your hands on a code reader?

Present your data and somebody on here will help!
Oh yeah of course, sorry. It gave me a P1325 for a knock control limit in cylinder 1. Thank you

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,201 Posts
Oh yeah of course, sorry. It gave me a P1325 for a knock control limit in cylinder 1. Thank you
things that get agrivated by dampness:

knock sensors,

engine grounds.

old plug wires, (if buying: subarus like NGK plugs and wires,...everything else you buy aftermarket gives problems).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
things that get agrivated by dampness:

knock sensors,

engine grounds.

old plug wires, (if buying: subarus like NGK plugs and wires,...everything else you buy aftermarket gives problems).
Hmm okay, thank you. I just replaced the plugs and wires about 2k miles ago, should I check the knock sensors?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,201 Posts
Hmm okay, thank you. I just replaced the plugs and wires about 2k miles ago, should I check the knock sensors?
as you got a knock sensor code = p0325...p1325 ?

yup, both the knock sensor, and its wire harness.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,201 Posts
Aaah okay, thank you. Any advice? Should I buy a new harness?
I never did one on a subaru, a 99 2.2 should be pretty rudimentary though.

will update title, plenty of knock sensor discussion here though.

(updated title).

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
Coil pack (as mentioned in an earlier post)?

Anywhere there's high voltage, dampness and moisture can cause arcing, leading to misfires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: it was indeed the knock snesor. Bought a brand new one earlier and it runs perfectly in the rain now. Thank you everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts