Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 H6 3.0R LL Bean wagon and 2000 H4 OBW
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I need to replace the knock sensor on my son's 2000 OBW 2.5. Not long ago I bought 2 Bosch knock sensors part number 65017 for my 1997 OBW 2.5. These were wholesale closeout for $35 and change is why I bought 2 at Rock Auto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=500128&cc=1269985&jsn=570 I installed one on the 97 several months back and so far no issues. Works great.

I notice that the 2000 2.5 calls for a different Bosch knock sensor, part number 0986JG0835. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7334852&cc=1434060&jsn=568 Both these sensor have the same plug and look identical other than the reddish brown connector and black box where the wire goes into the side of the sensor on the one for the 2000.

Are these interchangeable or is there a difference? I would assume there is a difference, not sure why they would have two different ones otherwise. I was going to put this one I have on my son's 2000 but then looked to see if they used the same part.

Thanks for any advice and insight. I couldn't find a thread about the change in sensors for the 2.5.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
one goes in the mistake DOHC, the other a goodie SOHC.

different wiring harnesses, and a lot more smart. (and different loads of electrical noise,...although each may physically work in the other, tearing a intake off is time consuming to both with to put the wrong thing in and get a knock sensor code because of it,...only to tear it apart and do it again).

Reactions: kybishop

·
Registered
411 Posts
one goes in the mistake DOHC, the other a goodie SOHC.

different wiring harnesses, and a lot more smart. (and different loads of electrical noise,...although each may physically work in the other, tearing a intake off is time consuming to both with to put the wrong thing in and get a knock sensor code because of it,...only to tear it apart and do it again).
Why do you take the intake off? I've never taken it off to do a knock sensor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
Why do you take the intake off? I've never taken it off to do a knock sensor.

I never had a knock sensor go bad in a subaru.

just amurcan V engines,...and you got to dig for them. (down in the V where they collect dampness and corrode).

·
Registered
411 Posts
I never had a knock sensor go bad in a subaru.

just amurcan V engines,...and you got to dig for them. (down in the V where they collect dampness and corrode).
Oh absolutely. I've only had a hand full on subarus to do including my own just recently.

However over the winter I also did my buddy's 5.3 Chevy. Knock sensor and harness. No way I wasnt replacing everything while I was in there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
Oh absolutely. I've only had a hand full on subarus to do including my own just recently.

However over the winter I also did my buddy's 5.3 Chevy. Knock sensor and harness. No way I wasnt replacing everything while I was in there.

yep. you get one knock sensor code, open it up and they both look bad,...one worse then the other.

replace both, and the harness. although the harness looks OK (just a little orange).

and if talking to mechanics that do them all the time. = make a dam of liquid sealant around the knock sensors.

because gm was dumb enough to put them down in there,...and not seal the whole thing from collecting water.
(or they want programmed obsolesce... just to anger the owners and drain wallets periodically, :frown2: )

·
Registered
411 Posts
yep. you get one knock sensor code, open it up and they both look bad,...one worse then the other.

replace both, and the harness. although the harness looks OK (just a little orange).

and if talking to mechanics that do them all the time. = make a dam of liquid sealant around the knock sensors.

because gm was dumb enough to put them down in there,...and not seal the whole thing from collecting water.
(or they want programmed obsolesce... just to anger the owners and drain wallets periodically, :frown2: )
I did the rtv as well. I also removed the foam blocks at both ends so water doesn't stay in there.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,491 Posts
I did the rtv as well. I also removed the foam blocks at both ends so water doesn't stay in there.

I bought a whole new set of foam intake gaskets,
presuming that one section was not doing its thing, but lots of liquid sealant poking around there now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sensor on the 97 was fairly easy to get to without removing intake. Socket extension, straight down around the intake. Little extra bend to the wrist and fingers to get her plugged up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My son was home for several days so I wanted to go grab a sensor before he headed out tomorrow. I went to Advance Auto yesterday and grabbed one they had. Intermotor brand which comes with a limited lifetime warranty, made in the USA. About $55. Quality looks great. Swapped it out in a few minutes. Easier to get to than the 97 was.

·
Registered
221 Posts
For future reference, the knock sensors are swappable without issue.
All 3 of my '99 models (25d, 222, 253) came with the one piece sensor. I changed all three out for the two piece style. No issues with the swap on any of them.
All three had the original sensors crack on the housing and expose the wiring. From what i have heard, the two piece is less prone to this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts