Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old guy here with little knowledge of many automotive things. I am a pro photographer (for 45 years !) and travel a great deal in desert and mountain terrain. My 2019 3.6R Limited is 100% stock right now. I want to add BFG/ KO2's to help with winter driving and light duty off-road stuff (gravel roads etc) I may encounter in my travels. Absolutely no crazy stuff...boulders etc. Just good operation in all conditions.
Question: My OEM tires are all season 225/60/18. I want to add new tires and wheels, so I can switch back come summer here in MN. Can I add KO2's in a 225/65/17 without any lift or mods ? I really would prefer NOT to lift this vehicle. As I see it, these are essentially identical size to my OEM's except for wheel size.

Does this make sense ? Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
I looked up tire diameters. The 225/60R18 is 28.6 inches. The 225/65R17 is 28.5 inches. Both have a 8.9 inch section width.

I see no reason the KO2 should not fit.

I have the 225/65R17 KO2 tires on my 2012 3.6R outback. The tire is larger than the stock 225/60R17 tires 27.6 diameter.. But they fit just fine.

I have had them on for about 40,000 miles now and am satisfied with the tread wear. In fact I am sure they will go longer than the stock tires did.

I run the KO2 year round. Have not had them in the snow as I am a snowbird. I went with the KO2 becasue I off road a lot in Yuma Arizona and I wanted a tire that had a strong sidewall to handle the large rocks on the Jeep trails.

The only thing I have noticed is there is a little more road noise at 60-80 mph but not that bad. I can still talk to the wife while under way.

You need to confirm the 17 inch wheel will clear the disk brakes. Can not help you there as my 2012 had 17 inch wheels stock.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,631 Posts
Thing there is you want good strong but not too hard tire so you could air down it on tracks and it would buldge more. Ko2 are great but kinda heavy weight and hard tires that would not buldge so much from other side you could like drive with them almost zero psi or totaly zero even.
Will loose some mpg with them for sure. Other then that they one of baddiest AT tires out there. Some szy dont use at for winter, i used and didi t had any probs on street melted snow or deep field snow or packed froze snow. But there are other good at tires too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing there is you want good strong but not too hard tire so you could air down it on tracks and it would buldge more. Ko2 are great but kinda heavy weight and hard tires that would not buldge so much from other side you could like drive with them almost zero psi or totaly zero even.
Will loose some mpg with them for sure. Other then that they one of baddiest AT tires out there. Some szy dont use at for winter, i used and didi t had any probs on street melted snow or deep field snow or packed froze snow. But there are other good at tires too.
Well these AT's have the three peak certification so they must be a bit better than "ok" for winter. Thanks

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
943 Posts
For the 100th time On this forum.
245/65R17 fit no problem, with no rubbing

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
943 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts