Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium pzev - Red
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 OB developed a creak in the driver's seat a couple months ago. My experience is that dealers typically dodge fixing noises but I was due for an oil change so I decided to take it there and complain about creak.

They verified the creak and just ordered a new bottom seat assembly. Of course I had to make a new appointment but fix it they did. And put in some other part they thought should be replaced. And updated the HeadUnit.

Of course I have to add a negative. At the first appointment they said I ought to change the cabin filter at my next change. I haven't done that yet but looked at YouTube video on it and it looks slightly easier than my old Camry that took less than 5 minutes. But they wanted $50. I now have an OEM filter for <$20.

But at least kudos to https://www.flemingtonsubaru.com/ for the no fuss or trouble fix.

G

·
My 15 OB developed a creak in the driver's seat a couple months ago. My experience is that dealers typically dodge fixing noises but I was due for an oil change so I decided to take it there and complain about creak.

They verified the creak and just ordered a new bottom seat assembly. Of course I had to make a new appointment but fix it they did. And put in some other part they thought should be replaced. And updated the HeadUnit.

Of course I have to add a negative. At the first appointment they said I ought to change the cabin filter at my next change. I haven't done that yet but looked at YouTube video on it and it looks slightly easier than my old Camry that took less than 5 minutes. But they wanted $50. I now have an OEM filter for <$20.

But at least kudos to https://www.flemingtonsubaru.com/ for the no fuss or trouble fix.
Did you hear this creak only when cornering?

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
Did you hear this creak only when cornering?
It sounds identical to what I experienced. They replaced my bottom frame assembly as well. It would (on mine, anyway) squeak any time you would accelerate, brake, or take many curves. There are also a few railroad tracks I cross everyday and it would squeak over those most the time, too. They replaced the same part on both of my cars and in both circumstances it has yet to reappear. (knocks on wood)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, dealer fixed my 2017 squeak. But now more noises are coming from the lumbar area. It's probably something similar to this issue: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358942.

Why can't this company seem to make a seat? It's baffling. Just do a search for Subaru seat noise/squeak/rattle to see the countless other people dealing with this crap.

I've driven hundreds of cars (rentals, owned, borrowed) and never, ever had problems with the seats.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds identical to what I experienced. They replaced my bottom frame assembly as well. It would (on mine, anyway) squeak any time you would accelerate, brake, or take many curves. There are also a few railroad tracks I cross everyday and it would squeak over those most the time, too. They replaced the same part on both of my cars and in both circumstances it has yet to reappear. (knocks on wood)
I don't remember the curve part but rest yes. I could also wiggle my butt when the car was still to reproduce the creak. I call it a creak because the frequency was low and I figure a squeak is a higher frequency.

I guess it's good to know others have had the same problem and the fix so far is holding. I was thinking maybe it was my fat ass and it would eventually reappear.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't remember the curve part but rest yes. I could also wiggle my butt when the car was still to reproduce the creak. I call it a creak because the frequency was low and I figure a squeak is a higher frequency.

I guess it's good to know others have had the same problem and the fix so far is holding. I was thinking maybe it was my fat ass and it would eventually reappear.
Creak is probably a better term.

Now, I'm not saying that it won't reappear. Both my '15 and '16 did have the issue. I had both fixed about 8-9k (iirc). My '15 died at about 18k. My '16 is about to turn 30k and I haven't had a reappearance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Creak is probably a better term.

Now, I'm not saying that it won't reappear. Both my '15 and '16 did have the issue. I had both fixed about 8-9k (iirc). My '15 died at about 18k. My '16 is about to turn 30k and I haven't had a reappearance.
Died at 18!?

Poor thing wasn't old enough to drink. And my 15 is at 14. how'd it die so young?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Died at 18!?

Poor thing wasn't old enough to drink. And my 15 is at 14. how'd it die so young?
An idiot was weaving in and out of traffic, lost control and hit me in the right rear on the passenger door. The car rolled. I think the nose of their car launched mine because from the instant they hit me I was up on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An idiot was weaving in and out of traffic, lost control and hit me in the right rear on the passenger door. The car rolled. I think the nose of their car launched mine because from the instant they hit me I was up on 2 wheels.
sorry to hear although I guess I'm glad it wasn't the car's fault and I guess you came out OK.

I'd say a more correct statement would be My beloved was murdered at the tender age of 18. Yeah the drivers around here seem to be getting crazier and crazier all the time. Me being the exception of course.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
sorry to hear although I guess I'm glad it wasn't the car's fault and I guess you came out OK.

I'd say a more correct statement would be My beloved was murdered at the tender age of 18. Yeah the drivers around here seem to be getting crazier and crazier all the time. Me being the exception of course.
I'm mostly ok. The car definitely did its job in the accident, which was keep me as safe as possible, within its limits.

I'm personally getting pretty fed up with the drivers in my area. It's getting more and more common for jerks to be swapping multiple lanes at a time for no reason whatsoever. Anyway, glad to hear your seat is better. Hopefully our luck/fix holds for a while, or preferably indefinitely...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

G

·
I'm mostly ok. The car definitely did its job in the accident, which was keep me as safe as possible, within its limits.

I'm personally getting pretty fed up with the drivers in my area. It's getting more and more common for jerks to be swapping multiple lanes at a time for no reason whatsoever. Anyway, glad to hear your seat is better. Hopefully our luck/fix holds for a while, or preferably indefinitely...

Glad your safe... was this on 77?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Glad your safe... was this on 77?
Thanks Nomad. Yes, 77 coming up to exit 12 in Uptown. I was coming from south Blvd and she had repeatedly changed 3 lanes of traffic trying to "beat traffic". Twice cutting me off personally. The finally she lost control.... Big shocker, over corrected and hit me in the right rear passenger door area. Then she tried to drive off. I saw her head lights cross mine and I tried to gun it. That was the one time I found out the 3.6R is clearly underpowered. Haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts