Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OBW 2.5i 5MT (sold)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace my front and rear struts with KYBs. Could someone QA my parts list before I start please?

Strut, FL 339098
Strut, FR 339099
Strut, R 341443 (2 needed)
Strut Mount Kit SM5214 (2 needed)
Strut Boot SB103 (4 needed)

Anything else I need?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
a really good spring compressor, those front springs can be a bit bothersome.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
There is a great picture in the DIY thread that shows exactly how to position those spring compressors. It's the only way.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
41 Posts
Hi all,

I am getting ready to do this same job and I have a couple question that I could use some help with. The car is a 2002obw with h4. Anyways I am going kyb struts, mounts and trying to reuse the dust boots.

I am slightly confused about how many from mounts I need, well I need two but is kyb part number SM5361 just one mount or is it both fronts? Same for the rear SM5214?

Another thing, between the bottom of the spring and the spot where it rests on the strut it looks like there is some kind of rubber part? Do I need to replace this? If so what is it?

Final note, car was manufactured in 1/02 which matters for parts I know. And is there anything else I should do at this point? I don't want to have to get it aligned more than once. New tires going on too.

Any help would be great!

Winner

·
Registered
97 OBW 5MT, 01 LLBean OBW, 03 RubiconTJ 5MT, 05 330cic ZHP 6MT, 07 530XiT AT, 07 Odyssey Touring
127 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace my front and rear struts with KYBs. Could someone QA my parts list before I start please?

Strut, FL 339098
Strut, FR 339099
Strut, R 341443 (2 needed)
Strut Mount Kit SM5214 (2 needed)
Strut Boot SB103 (4 needed)

Anything else I need?
Based on your parts list, it appears as though you have a 05-09 OB. If so, I would recommend you go with the 341276 instead of the 341443. The rebound dampening on the 341443 is 10% more than the factory dampener....If you've happened to notice how bouncy the rear of your OB is, then it won't get a whole lot better with only 10% more dampening. The 341276, which is the 00-04 spec rear strut has 70% more dampening (per what the guy at KYB told me yesterday. I just got through replacing the rear struts on my 09 (it only has 60Kmi on it) and it now rides like my 01...much more controlled...actually a smidge on the tight side...which is just right for me.

If you like the way it rides now, though, them maybe the 341443 will work better for you.

-r

-r

·
Registered
2006 2.5i
95 Posts
Based on your parts list, it appears as though you have a 05-09 OB. If so, I would recommend you go with the 341276 instead of the 341443. The rebound dampening on the 341443 is 10% more than the factory dampener....If you've happened to notice how bouncy the rear of your OB is, then it won't get a whole lot better with only 10% more dampening. The 341276, which is the 00-04 spec rear strut has 70% more dampening (per what the guy at KYB told me yesterday. I just got through replacing the rear struts on my 09 (it only has 60Kmi on it) and it now rides like my 01...much more controlled...actually a smidge on the tight side...which is just right for me.

If you like the way it rides now, though, them maybe the 341443 will work better for you.

-r

-r
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I've been combing through the old threads and was confused on which parts. I'm doing the swap out when it gets a tad bit warmer and have been reading up on it.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
We just ordered new struts for ours as well, for the front. Went with KYB Gr-2 after reading positive things about them in here.

Do we need mounts as well? I didn't order those....what else do we need?:(

Elle

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
I'd recommend ordering the mounts as well, the front mounts have bearings in the top to which the strut is connected to and they can wear out or seize and cause noise over time especially if you have a lot of miles on your Outback. KYB front mounts are like $48 ea and KYB rear mounts are like $23 ea on RockAuto.com

I'm changing my rear struts soon on my Outback but i'm replacing everything, dust boots, bolts, nuts, washers etc so that I can assemble the new assembly beforehand and not have deal with taking the old assemblies apart to reuse a nut or a dust boot. Plus it will take less time to replace, since you'd be just removing the old strut/coil assembly and swaping in the new one.

I ordered KYB GR2 struts and KYB strut mounts as well, everything else I ordered from the dealer including Subaru Baja coils since i'm lifting my Outback.

You can view what the assemblies consist of and the part numbers for each part on Opposedforces.com

·
Registered
'03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!
110 Posts
I'd recommend ordering the mounts as well, the front mounts have bearings in the top to which the strut is connected to and they can wear out or seize and cause noise over time especially if you have a lot of miles on your Outback. KYB front mounts are like $48 ea and KYB rear mounts are like $23 ea on RockAuto.com

I'm changing my rear struts soon on my Outback but i'm replacing everything, dust boots, bolts, nuts, washers etc so that I can assemble the new assembly beforehand and not have deal with taking the old assemblies apart to reuse a nut or a dust boot. Plus it will take less time to replace, since you'd be just removing the old strut/coil assembly and swaping in the new one.

I ordered KYB GR2 struts and KYB strut mounts as well, everything else I ordered from the dealer including Subaru Baja coils since i'm lifting my Outback.

You can view what the assemblies consist of and the part numbers for each part on Opposedforces.com
Crumbs......guess I'm going to go look for front mounts......thank you!!

Elle

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Sorry, dropped the ball on following up. Just saw the request. Here's my comments in Bruce's DIY thread, including the link to the picture:

For my 05 XT wagon

Thanks so much everyone! Got this done on Friday night and Saturday including rears. A few of my notes to maybe help the next guy.
0) take a picture of the two bolts so you can remember the camber setting.
1) break loose both front strut's 'tophat' 17 mm bolt before jacking up the car. The torque is pretty light on it, but it's still the easiest place to do this.
2) You don't need impact driver. I did it all with hand tools. The big pain is the compressors, but you just need to get them positioned correctly the first time. I lost about 3 hours because the first one I was screwing around with.
3) Put the spring compressors at this location: 2003 w/ H6 + Baja Springs and KYB struts done! post #10. This will save you a ton of screwing around. You MUST get 3 coils. If you only get 2, you can get the top hat off, but you won't be able to get it back on. When compressing, you will be running the compressor screw close to the bottom hat. I didn't think it would work putting them back on, but I was wrong. Things move around as you compress them, and you won't have problems putting it back together. The other one won't get to 180, but get it as close as you can. I used a large pry bar to get the top coils apart to rotate the compressor in there. Again, I didn't think this would work when reinstalling. I was afraid the compressor would get pinched when releasing the spring and I'd never get it out. This doesn't happen. They actually rotate away and slip down the coils as you release them.
4)Lube the spring compressors with motor oil. Especially important if you are using hand tools to do it. What a difference! It says to do this on the instructions in the package from advance auto parts.
5) Make sure you transfer all the parts before assembling (bump stop and dust boot). You don't want to have to take it apart for such a silly thing. I did this on the rears, but just slit the dust boot and fitted it around and used zip ties to hold it together. Luckily there is no bump stop in the rears, and that is critical
6) Before loosening the spring compressors, use a socket with vice grips and a 6 mm allen to seat the top nut down so all the parts are tight on the shoulder. Tighten as best you can. Then release the compressors. Then try to torque the top nut to the 40 ft lbs. It's a pretty light torque. I got one to click, but not the other.
7)After reinstalled and back on the ground, try again to torque. I got the other one to click then.

This job is pretty easy and straight forward. For me, removing the strut was the easiest, getting the spring compressors on the hardest. If you just can't them both to grab 3 coils, you'll have to compress with 3 on one side, 2 on the other, then reposition them per the picture in the other thread. Very doable, but takes more time if your doing it with hand tools.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
28 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but can someone tell me why I am only able to find strut mounting kits for the rear only?

An earlier poster mentioned front mounts were needed, but I can't find any, and they aren't listed in the original post.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but can someone tell me why I am only able to find strut mounting kits for the rear only?

An earlier poster mentioned front mounts were needed, but I can't find any, and they aren't listed in the original post.
Look yours up here.

KYB Online Parts Catalog

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes. There is a good picture in the DIY thread showing exactly how to place the spring compressors. You MUST get three coils (one on each compressor, with one in between). This required some prying to get the compressor on as close to possible to the top hat, and you can't get them perfectly at 180.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts