Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Subaru outback 3.0r

HI,

I was driving my car and i noticed the flashing cruise control CEL and (traction control?) light on so i stopped and tightened my gas cap and continued my drive up north on my way I had noticed my car lacking acceleration and the temperature was fluctuating from the middle close to the red on my dash while on the highway but it was also an incredibly hot day. I had also noticed a jerking in the vehicle while driving in the city.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,598 Posts
Cruise and some other functions are disabled when the CEL is on, so don't worry about problems with those. Have the codes read, write them down, and let us know what they are. They can be read by a garage, or, in the US, many auto-parts stores will loan a OBD scanner for use in their parking lot, so you may be able to do that, too. The codes are essential for arriving at a diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,924 Posts
If the engine light was flashing, that's a misfire. Jerking while driving is indicative of a misfire. The temperature thing though, that's something different unless you've blown a HG. You'd have had to run the engine hot for a while to blow the HG. But a blown gasket will cause over temp and misfires.

Outside temp won't have a drastic effect on engine temps. It get 105°F or better down here and humid to boot, yet all my cars run normal temps; except the VDC when I'm in the boost. It'll go up a little bit.

Check the coolant level. Look for leaks. Read the codes on the car and find out which cylinder(s) is misfiring. There is a way to deteirmne with data while the car is running whether there's a HG issue. If you find low coolant absent an exterior leak, then we'll go in to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the engine light was flashing, that's a misfire. Jerking while driving is indicative of a misfire. The temperature thing though, that's something different unless you've blown a HG. You'd have had to run the engine hot for a while to blow the HG. But a blown gasket will cause over temp and misfires.

Outside temp won't have a drastic effect on engine temps. It get 105°F or better down here and humid to boot, yet all my cars run normal temps; except the VDC when I'm in the boost. It'll go up a little bit.

Check the coolant level. Look for leaks. Read the codes on the car and find out which cylinder(s) is misfiring. There is a way to deteirmne with data while the car is running whether there's a HG issue. If you find low coolant absent an exterior leak, then we'll go in to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cruise and some other functions are disabled when the CEL is on, so don't worry about problems with those. Have the codes read, write them down, and let us know what they are. They can be read by a garage, or, in the US, many auto-parts stores will loan a OBD scanner for use in their parking lot, so you may be able to do that, too. The codes are essential for arriving at a diagnosis.
Hi, firstly thank you for your reply i appreciate it greatly and i have attached photos of the codes taken earlier today 3 misfires happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you for this response!

·
Premium Member
15,924 Posts
Since it's a 6 cylinder, it's doubtful 1/2 the coils quit.

All those cylinders are in the same side if the engine, the right/passenger side.

Since it also ran hot, I would suspect anything from bad plugs to HG issue. But things have to be checked prior to throwing parts at it.

How frequent does it misfire? Is it all the time or sporadic?

Is there sufficient fuel delivery?

Are the AF sensors working?

Did a vacuum leak develop?

Is the coolant level staying full? The radiator level, not the reservoir.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

All those cylinders are in the same side if the engine, the right/passenger side.

Since it also ran hot, I would suspect anything from bad plugs to HG issue. But things have to be checked prior to throwing parts at it.

-Coolant level in radiator was full

-Im not sure how to check AF sensors and vacuum leaks

ive also noticed the gas meter on the dash dims out sometimes

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,087 Posts
Are the braided ground straps that go to each cylinder head still there?

Reactions: cardoc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hello,

Just wanted to update you on the current status of the vehicle. I have taken the car in 3 times to my local mechanic and it has still not been fixed but they have checked the HG and that seems to be fine. They are looking into two potential causes those being a bad O2 sensor or Oil control valve I believe they mentioned. The mechanics have cleared the codes twice and asked me to drive the car until CEL comes back on and I believe they checked the spark plugs a while ago. They had also switched the oil intake valves or fuel injectors i forget which they switched so that the codes would throw on 2,4 instead on 1,3 which they did.

Misfire codes have only come on sporadically

I have noticed my car lagging in response while driving having put the pedal to the floor

I have not encountered the car overheating again

Thank you for your help so far!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello,

Just wanted to update you on the current status of the vehicle. I have taken the car in 3 times to my local mechanic and it has still not been fixed but they have checked the HG and that seems to be fine. They are looking into two potential causes those being a bad O2 sensor or Oil control valve I believe they mentioned. The mechanics have cleared the codes twice and asked me to drive the car until CEL comes back on and I believe they checked the spark plugs a while ago. They had also switched the oil intake valves or fuel injectors i forget which they switched so that the codes would throw on 2,4 instead on 1,3 which they did.

I have noticed my car lagging in response while driving having put the pedal to the floor

I have accepted that my car is a lemon 🍋

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No need to find a garage or auto parts store to read the codes: the 2008 has a built-in code reader. Follow the method in the first post of 05, 06-09: How To Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Hello,

·
Premium Member
15,924 Posts
Your shop may not be doing the HG breach test. On these boxer engines you need to check it with a funnel.

Ignore the runt, he's goofy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your shop may not be doing the HG breach test. On these boxer engines you need to check it with a funnel.

Ignore the runt, he's goofy.

Hi,

Thanks again for the information you have provided. I had taken my car into the subaru dealership for an airbag recall and asked for them to possibly figure out the issue. Subaru suggested it was the coil packs / spark plugs.

It took me ages to get those spark plugs out. Now its onto the rear wiper issue

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts