Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2000 Subaru Outback and I'm having some issues with it. It started to have loss of power when going up hills, it wont downshift when the rpms get low, it wont maintain speed or hold speed when going up hills. All of this happens in drive. It has been dyeing when I come to a stop at intersections, the RPMs drop the car shutters and the motor shuts off. I have checked all the of the fluid levels and they are all fine. I have to continuously drive in 3rd for all hills and starting out. it does go through oil quite fast but I cant see where its going and I check it often and keep it full. and when I put it in reverse after moving about 4-8 feet there is a thud then reverses like normal. I also have had a loss in MPG. I'm Guessing 3-7 MPG less then what I used to get. i think there is also a electrical problem. All the lights dim when I hit the breaks or turn something on. I've checked my battery its good and is charging properly, I cant figure it out and I don't know what is causing it. I've researched the CAT issues, air filter has been changed, I'm about to change all the spark Plugs. does anyone out there of any ideas or thoughts on what's going on.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,199 Posts
is the car new to you? if not, was there a wreck or work done to the car before this failure began?

is the trans pan dented? is the CEL on? even if not, you should scan for pending codes.

you may have more than one problem. The dieing at a stop could be a torque converter lock-up not releasing, or maybe a bad TPS (the trans needs TPS data to know when to downshift)

maybbe others will have some ideas.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,013 Posts
Yea, there's a lot to unpack there.

What's the history? Step one is always knowing it's tuned up, any question about spark plugs, filters, fluids, should be eliminated.

Any pending or confirmed engine or transmission codes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts