Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day. I just recently acquired a 98 Impreza Outback Sport for my girl as her commuter. It runs pretty well, idles smoothly, and drives fine. The one thing we have had noticed is that it doesn't have much power uphill. We'll press down on the gas pedal to the floor and it'll shift down (automatic) but doesn't gain very much speed at all. Air filter looks clean and I threw some new plugs in it, haven't changed the wires yet, new tires, has a new timing belt (10,000 ago), and has a total of 158K miles on it. There isn't a check engine light on and I haven't scanned it yet to be sure there aren't any codes. I have read that possibly it could be the knock sensor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It was owned by an older lady who wasn't hard on it it appears and kept it well maintained. It doesn't seem to get as good of a MPG as I predicted either. I have a '10 Outback which I am pretty sure has a bigger tank by a gallon or two and it definitely gets better mileage. Thanks!

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,432 Posts
Your 2010 will get better mileage anyway, much more efficient transmission.

I think the '98 OBS had the 2.2L engine which is substantially less powerful than the 2.5 or 3.6 used in 2010.

Check the '98 for breathing- mouse nest in the intake? something obstructing the exhaust?

Yesterday somebody mentioned stretched throttle cables- make sure yours is adjusted correctly so that foot on the floor = wide open throttle instead of just mostly open.

Not everything that can go wrong will result in a code on those, as OBD was still pretty new back then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured the 2010 would get all around better mileage due to technology advances. I do have the 2.5L in the '10. Intake is clear. I'll check the throttle cable and see if it needs to be adjusted. My buddy drives a 1999 outback limited at 250K miles with the 2.2L and said his doesn't have a whole lot of power uphill either. I know this car isn't a sports car but just seems like it should have a little more umph haha. Thanks Oh I was thinking of maybe running some Sea Foam liquid through the fuel system.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
If it was really owned by a little old lady for most of the car's life, it probably has been idled around and has rarely seen over 2,500 RPM. In which case it is probably packed full of carbon and needs to be cleaned out. Seafoam to the rescue!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts