Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there team, first post in sometime for me.

I purchased a 2015 3.6r several months ago, from a dealer. Only recently I noticed that it doesn't have any DLR's. I understood that it should have them? Car was regularly serviced at the dealership and there are no modifications that I can see. Im assuming that the New Zealand release did come with DLR's?

So I'm not getting any warnings about bulb's blown etc... Any ideas as to what I should check, before I take the car to a dealer and have to re-morgage the house for the bill.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
They're mandatory in the US, but may or may not be elsewhere. If you do in fact have them, they may be different from what we get in NA, but the manual will tell you how they're implemented (should be listed in the index). All 2015 3.6Rs in the US came with HID headlights, so they run the high beams through a resistor for the DRL function. Some of us have disabled them by either unplugging the resistor or swapping the DRL relays (from 5 to 4 pin).

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
They're mandatory in the US...
DRLs are allowed, but not required, in the US. They are required in Canada.

Some of us have disabled them by either unplugging the resistor or swapping the DRL relays (from 5 to 4 pin).
The US (and, I presume Canadian) spec 2015 Outbacks run the low-beam headlight through resistors, so they're dimmer than the headlights alone, as the DRLs. Disabling them by unplugging the resistor pack, and reversing this modification, is easy enough if you can reach the plug through a small-ish hole behind the left headlight. I hadn't heard of replacing the left and right DRL relays with relays that are missing that part of the circuit, but that would probably work, too, and might be easier if your hands are too large to reach the resistor-pack plug. If your DRL are implemented similarly, you might search the forum for the discussions about disabling them and see if that was done to your car.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,944 Posts
DRLs are allowed, but not required, in the US. They are required in Canada.
Okay. Thanks.

...I hadn't heard of replacing the left and right DRL relays with relays that are missing that part of the circuit, but that would probably work, too, and might be easier if your hands are too large to reach the resistor-pack plug. If your DRL are implemented similarly, you might search the forum for the discussions about disabling them and see if that was done to your car.
It doesn't "probably" work, it does work - I've done it and so have a few other members. Far better hack than leaving an open connector, IMO. But, yes, my point to the OP was to check their manual to first determine what sort of DRL (if any) comes equipped. If it's the same high beam approach, then I'm sure both of these hacks are possible causes.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
454 Posts
Just to rule out the obvious, but do the high-beams function? - If they're blown, and both of my high beams went out within days of each other on my '12, that constant DRL when in gear, can really shorten their life.

I'm also presuming that on the '15 model year, the DRLs only turn on when in gear, and don't function in Park.....you need to be facing an option to tell their on, or have somebody else hold their foot on the brake, and pull the shifter into gear to tell.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
It doesn't "probably" work, it does work - I've done it and so have a few other members. Far better hack than leaving an open connector, IMO.
OK. I didn't recall seeing any reports of people replacing or modifying the relays, only disconnecting the resistors. It did make sense, though.

For future reference, did you clip the unwanted pins from the relays, or is there a replacement single-throw relay that's a direct substitute for the double-throw original? If the latter, do you have a part number?

Also, I agree about the open connector if one wants to provide for reversing the mod. I opened the halves of the connector only far enough apart to break the connection but left them still attached to each other and wrapped electrical tape around the junction to exclude water (probably unnecessary, but I was already in there) and keep them from creeping back together or coming completely apart. Restoring DRL operation should be easier than disabling it (famous last words!)

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
Just to rule out the obvious, but do the high-beams function? - If they're blown, and both of my high beams went out within days of each other on my '12, that constant DRL when in gear, can really shorten their life.
That's a good question about general high-beam function for the OP.

I'm not sure how much effect low-power DRL use has on bulb lifetime. It can't help, but I'd be surprised if it was a lot.

I'm also presuming that on the '15 model year, the DRLs only turn on when in gear, and don't function in Park.....you need to be facing an option to tell their on, or have somebody else hold their foot on the brake, and pull the shifter into gear to tell.
I could tell when the DRLs were on using the wall of our garage or when facing a plate-glass window. They're definitely off when in Park and (I'm almost sure, but it's been a while since I disabled them) when the parking brake is engaged. I don't remember if they are on when in Neutral, but I think so.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,842 Posts
I hadn't heard of replacing the left and right DRL relays with relays that are missing that part of the circuit ...
As AvidHiker indicated, it's simply a matter of replacing two OE SPDT relays with pin-compatible Subaru SPST (NO) relays. Both part numbers are used extensively in the Gen 5 Outback. Credit goes to member dakotarayne for the original idea. The key was realizing that both the OE SPDT and SPST relays were pin compatible.

IMO, it's a really elegant and easily reversible solution for those who want to disable the DRLs. See drl-mod-done-easy

·
Registered
2019 Touring (Canadian Model) with Eyesight
489 Posts
I'm also presuming that on the '15 model year, the DRLs only turn on when in gear, and don't function in Park.....
As far as I know from past experiences with all my cars, if the parking brake is on and you start the car, no DRL. The moment you release the brake the lights come on and stay on until the car is turned off. Parking brake or not.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
How and when they operate is covered in Section 3 of the Owners Manual for you particular year. E.g., for 2015, it's on page 3-45, "Daytime running light system".

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,451 Posts
SPST relay: 82501AG05B
They were $8 on eBay...
View attachment 487224
As AvidHiker indicated, it's simply a matter of replacing two OE SPDT relays with pin-compatible Subaru SPST (NO) relays. Both part numbers are used extensively in the Gen 5 Outback. Credit goes to member dakotarayne for the original idea. The key was realizing that both the OE SPDT and SPST relays were pin compatible.

IMO, it's a really elegant and easily reversible solution for those who want to disable the DRLs. See drl-mod-done-easy
Cool! Thanks for the info and the link!! I was presuming it would be a matter of ordering a compatible unit from DigiKey or Mouser.That really is elegant and would be much easier.

I guess I'd quit looking for DRL-disablement threads by the time that one started.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
195 Posts
Here is the DRL relay mod with C lights acting as the DRLs, and with the C lights and switchbacks as DRLs. Third picture shows the 10a illumination fuse tap for the switchbacks. All in all, I’m very happy running with the parking lamps (With the switchbacks) on during the day.
Edit: sorry for the image rotation. I’m on my mobile and don’t know how to fix it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i; 2017 Outback Touring 2.5
42 Posts

I purchased a 2015 3.6r several months ago, from a dealer. Only recently I noticed that it doesn't have any DLR's. I understood that it should have them? Car was regularly serviced at the dealership and there are no modifications that I can see. Im assuming that the New Zealand release did come with DLR's?

So I'm not getting any warnings about bulb's blown etc... Any ideas as to what I should check, before I take the car to a dealer and have to re-morgage the house for the bill.

Just adding on to what has been posted by others: I always leave the headlights in the ON position, whether daytime or nighttime. While this means that I have to change out my headlights bulbs just slightly more often, there is a dramatic reduction in near misses over using just the DRLs. An added bonus is that the taillights are also on, so if it is slightly dim outside, where the headlights don't automatically turn on, they are on.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you guys, thanks so much for the responses.

Ok so iv had a look and read the manual. So turns out all it was is that I always leave the light stalk in Auto mode, which I now know means no DLR's. Seems a bit silly really as doesn't DLR mean Daytime Running Lights, so effective the car doesn't have any DLR's unless you leave the headlights permanently on. :cautious:

I really like that mod of yours Dakitarayne. So does that mean that with the light stalk set in Auto you get DLR's? If so id be interested in doing that mod. Any link to how to do that?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
195 Posts
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you guys, thanks so much for the responses.

Ok so iv had a look and read the manual. So turns out all it was is that I always leave the light stalk in Auto mode, which I now know means no DLR's. Seems a bit silly really as doesn't DLR mean Daytime Running Lights, so effective the car doesn't have any DLR's unless you leave the headlights permanently on. :cautious:

I really like that mod of yours Dakitarayne. So does that mean that with the light stalk set in Auto you get DLR's? If so id be interested in doing that mod. Any link to how to do that?
In AUTO, during the day, with the car in drive you should still have DRLs (At least in the US). I'm not familiar with other spec vehicles.
With the switchbacks I have installed, I have the white LEDs acting as DRLs when the switch is in any position except OFF. (Off turns all the lamps off because it also turns the power to the illumination fuse under the hood off). The white DRLs remain on with the headlights as well. They have a wire that you can tap into the headlight circuit to dim them when the headlights are ON, but I did not connect that portion. I like them full bright all of the time. I run with the light switch in the PARKING LAMP position, between ON and AUTO, most of the time. Because of how I wired the bulbs, the white portion of the light remains ON as long as the stalk switch is set to any position besides off. The car doesn't have to be in drive like the factory DRLs. The Amber portion of the bulb replaces the white DRL when you engage the blinker. When the blinker stops, there is about a 2 second delay and the white bulb resumes the DRL function on the associated side.
I ordered the VLED Triton Switchback bulbs in the 5000k range with the VLR-6 Resistor to prevent hyperflashing. Selection included the 7440 Base adapter + parking. To wire them in I added 2x 12 inch VRL extension wires so that I would have placement options for the resistors, the DRL wiring harness kit, and the low profile mini fuse tap for the underhood fuse box. (Tapped the 10a illumination fuse under the hood for the white portion of the switchback bulb that I'm running as DRLs.) The Triton kit comes with two flexible o-rings that secure the bulb snugly into the headlight housing in the blinker position. Mine didn't come with the right o-rings, but I think that was an oversight and the company shipped them out the next day. I had great support from VLEDs. Installation was easy, just had to think about where to run the wires. Connected the left and right bulb by running the wire above the bumper grill. Just have to remember to disconnect that wire if I ever need to take the bumper off. I also ordered braided sleeve material so that the wires had some protection. Only real concern looking back now is that the 3-way connectors for the bulbs that split off to the resistor pack and the rest of the wiring have plastic nuts that you can strip if you overtighten them. Snug should be enough to keep the water out and not strip the threads. I really like this product and would recommend it to anyone looking to change their lighting setup.
Ill take some pictures if I get the chance.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No turns out with the NZ edition thats not the case. The wording from the manual under Notes at the end of the DLR section says "For models with auto on/off headlights, while the headlight switch is in "AUTO" position and the headlights turn on automatically, the daytime running light is deactivated" I wonder if this is a thing that can be turned back on by the dealer?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Iv just called my local dealer to find out. They aren't sure, but are looking into it, and are going to get back to me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My interpretation of that is if in AUTO, when the light sensor detects the ambient lighting requires the headlights, it turns the headlights on and the DRLs off. I could be wrong of course. I'll have to check my own manual for that note and see what the US spec does.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts