Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am one week into owning my 2020 Outback Touring XT and have now had a chance to use the adaptive cruise control with lane center assist on several hundred miles of highway driving.

Even on straight sections of highway with well marked lanes and in good weather during the day, the lane center assist wanders a bit back and forth. The car doesn't go all the way over to one side before correcting, but it is noticeable and less smooth than a human driver. Almost like it is hunting for the center. This is after the green lights for adaptive cruise control and lane centering assist have come on.

Is that normal for this system or does something need adjustment?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,564 Posts
So, I am one week into owning my 2020 Outback Touring XT and have now had a chance to use the adaptive cruise control with lane center assist on several hundred miles of highway driving.

Even on straight sections of highway with well marked lanes and in good weather during the day, the lane center assist wanders a bit back and forth. The car doesn't go all the way over to one side before correcting, but it is noticeable and less smooth than a human driver. Almost like it is hunting for the center. This is after the green lights for adaptive cruise control and lane centering assist have come on.

I believe this has improved for some with the 504 update. But I have seen this on my car before the update. I just reset this behavior by nudging the steering one way or the other just a tiny bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe this has improved for some with the 504 update. But I have seen this on my car before the update. I just reset this behavior by nudging the steering one way or the other just a tiny bit.
How would I determine whether my car already has the 504 update?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,564 Posts
How would I determine whether my car already has the 504 update?
Check your infotainment settings and see if the software version number ends in a '504'. If it doesn't the instructions for it are in my signature.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
585 Posts
During our first and last roadtrip in Jan 2020 I did not have your experience. The software we had at that time was installed in the factory in Nov 2019. I have also used for shorter drives and it worked quite well.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
717 Posts

Other than verifying 504, sometimes you can improve performance by turning off LC (bottom right button on the steering wheel) and then turning it back on with the same button. This tends to help smooth it out. Before 504 mine favored the right side of the lane; since 504 it's now pretty much dead center and is also smoother, but still not as smooth as a human driver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I checked and I already have the 504 version installed. I have nothing to compare my “wander” to so no way of knowing if something is off. I suppose when I go in for service I will ask them to look at it. Mine also seems to favor the right side as a previous poster mentioned.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring (not XT)
51 Posts
Mine does that too. I haven't tested it since I got my 504 update a few days ago.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
112 Posts

My 2020 Outback Limited is pretty smooth when using Lane Centering on Interstate type highways and no strong crosswind. Add the crosswind and the wind will push the vehicle to either the center or the side and Lane Centering is continually trying to correct. I turn if off when there is a noticeable cross wind. My vehicle is still running v503 on the Infotainment screen.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
533 Posts

In the owner's manual it warns that lane centering can have problems with tires not at proper air pressure, wheels out of alignment, or wheels out of balance. It's possible for new cars to be out of alignment even from the factory. Some automakers like Honda offer free wheel alignment and balancing during the first year for this reason. I assume Subaru will do it for free, too.

The EyeSight system requires proper wheel alignment to work.
Before you attempt to perform any calibration on any ADAS equipped vehicle, an alignment is essential, and not just a “toe and go” alignment. It is critical for Subaru’s EyeSight system to work that the thrust angle be within specification. Everything You Need To Know About The Subaru EyeSight System
@MrH42 got his lane centering ping pong problem fixed with a wheel alignment. Things I dislike about my 2020 Outback

Reactions: ALSG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 489779

In the owner's manual it warns that lane centering can have problems with tires not at proper air pressure, wheels out of alignment, or wheels out of balance. It's possible for new cars to be out of alignment even from the factory. Some automakers like Honda offer free wheel alignment and balancing during the first year for this reason. I assume Subaru will do it for free, too.

The EyeSight system requires proper wheel alignment to work.

@MrH42 got his lane centering ping pong problem fixed with a wheel alignment. Things I dislike about my 2020 Outback
The only things on this extensive laundry list of things that might have affected my car are (1) the possibility my canoe was obstructing the Eyesight system or (2) the possibility with my car is out of alignment.

As to obstruction, I have since driven without the canoe on top on a well marked highway in daylight in good weather and got the same result.

As to tire alignment, when I drive the car with the Lane Centering Assist off, I don't notice the car drifting so I don't think alignment is an issue. But I plan on replacing the tires anyway when I get home with the Falken Wildpeak Trails so I will get alignment checked at that time.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
362 Posts
I experience the ‘wandering’ first time I tried this feature. No more than I drive, I chose to not use it. I then saw the post mention possible improvement with the software upgrade. I tried it yesterday. HUGE improvement. Thanks to this thread I will use this feature again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts