Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised neither Subaru nor any of the reviewers have posted any video talking about it in detail. There are so many videos showing various features of Eyesight tech but none for lane centering.

Has anyone received their car yet or tried the lane centering. Does it work well? Only on freeways or internal roads too?

I just bought a 2019. This was the only thing I would have probably wanted my 2019 to have (if it worked reasonably ok or better).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
883 Posts
I saw at least one review where they mentioned it sometimes losing the lane when completely visible. It's a nice tool but don't even think about trusting it hands free.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,398 Posts
It supposedly also tracks the car in front if the lane line detection is not great.
That's the lemming feature engaging. :devilish:
But seriously, just turn this stuff off in bad weather. Stay focused. Use your brain and driving skills. Subaru tells you as much in the manual (but uses different wording of course).

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/NAV & Moonroof
66 Posts
Yesterday I test drove a Ltd XT and engage cruise control with everything on. The lane centering worked great. Even went around a curve in the road - I was in traffic, so not sure if it was following the lines or the car in front.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw at least one review where they mentioned it sometimes losing the lane when completely visible. It's a nice tool but don't even think about trusting it hands free.
That's not a nice tool. I have an Accord, it's not perfect but if the lines are there lKAS on anything but a sharp curve holds. I've let it drive for several seconds before.

Of course, the Accord safety stuff has other issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've read that the lane centering uses the vehicle ahead of you. So IF this is the case, if you are not following a vehicle, does it work any differently than the previous versions of LKA?

Additionally, is the Lane Centering part of the LKA or is it a different function that can be turned on or off?

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Yesterday I test drove a Ltd XT and engage cruise control with everything on. The lane centering worked great. Even went around a curve in the road - I was in traffic, so not sure if it was following the lines or the car in front.
I’d probably use the lane centering function, the lane keep assist I don’t think I’ve turned it on but once or twice.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,526 Posts
Does the lane centering only work with cruise control?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
544 Posts
If it works like it does on my wife's Crosstrek, which I'd expect it to be similar, you need to have the center display (between speedo & tach) on the lane keep assist screen for it to work. Once you cross over the minimum speed for it to engage (~40 mph), the wheel will nudge you away from the lines in the road, with no traffic in front of you. - The lines drawn on the picture of the car, will turn green to show when it's enabled, red when you try to cross over one, and white/dull when it's off. (I'm going from memory, as I don't drive her Crosstrek that frequently, but then I've rarely had eyesight beep at me....it likes my driving).

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If it works like it does on my wife's Crosstrek, which I'd expect it to be similar, you need to have the center display (between speedo & tach) on the lane keep assist screen for it to work. Once you cross over the minimum speed for it to engage (~40 mph), the wheel will nudge you away from the lines in the road, with no traffic in front of you. - The lines drawn on the picture of the car, will turn green to show when it's enabled, red when you try to cross over one, and white/dull when it's off. (I'm going from memory, as I don't drive her Crosstrek that frequently, but then I've rarely had eyesight beep at me....it likes my driving).
Lane centering, not lane assist.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
544 Posts
Isn't it pretty much the same concept, just that it keeps you more centered between the lines, as opposed to waiting until you begin to approach the lines? - Or is there something additional in the Lane Centering I'm missing. (I may be "assuming" that its more an updated software to the same hardware, with a tighter tolerance on the position of the vehicle to the painted lines and other traffic). I'd imagine the improved software would also negate the somewhat ping-pong affect on some roads.

I'm not real keen on the lane keep assist or the lane centering much, and wouldn't be straying out of the lane enough for it to make a difference. Just the lane keep assist is sort of odd, trying it out. I don't even use cruise control with any other traffic, although, the adaptive cruise is godsend in the wife's car, so maybe it would warm up on me. - My '12 doesn't have either, but I'd take the adaptive cruise of the lane centering any day.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Isn't it pretty much the same concept, just that it keeps you more centered between the lines, as opposed to waiting until you begin to approach the lines? - Or is there something additional in the Lane Centering I'm missing. (I may be "assuming" that its more an updated software to the same hardware, with a tighter tolerance on the position of the vehicle to the painted lines and other traffic). I'd imagine the improved software would also negate the somewhat ping-pong affect on some roads.

I'm not real keen on the lane keep assist or the lane centering much, and wouldn't be straying out of the lane enough for it to make a difference. Just the lane keep assist is sort of odd, trying it out. I don't even use cruise control with any other traffic, although, the adaptive cruise is godsend in the wife's car, so maybe it would warm up on me. - My '12 doesn't have either, but I'd take the adaptive cruise of the lane centering any day.
Good question. I assume it is supposed to keep you in the middle if possible and not ping-pong.

Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnetite Grey Metallic
316 Posts

Test drove a premium 2020 today, the lane centering was great, it`s really going to be a plus for the Outback, lane centering took the the corners great, no wandering around or anything.
The lane keep assist seemed to be similar to my 2017, it bounced back and forth between the lines, so won`t be using it much at all.
The front seats seemed smaller it could be the better side bolstering, overall they seem more comfortable to me.
Liked the big screen layout and gear shift position, but not the placement of the front cupholders. The center console like others have said is smaller than the Gen 5 models.

Big plus for me is no wind noise! and overall it is much quieter than the 2017 Outback.

Handling and ride is better than the 2017 Outback but maybe not a huge difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've spent the last 2 weeks with my 2020 2.5L Limited Outback. One new feature I was excited about is the lane centering. I've put together my thoughts and would love to hear what everyone else thinks about it.

Pros:
  • Once on, the system works great. With the help of adaptive cruise control my long trips are easier to manage.
  • Works in stop and go (rush hour) traffic
  • Mostly works in construction zones with clearly painted lines
  • Comes in all trim levels
  • You can turn on lane keep assist to "nudge" you back into your lane if you wander. I tested this and found I hug the lines often. I quickly turned it off.

Cons:
  • Some turns will disable the feature. I'm not sure if this is related to the lines not being seen or the turn being too aggressive.
  • At times I find myself fighting the lane centering. Most often this occurs when I don't feel I'm exactly centered in the lane.
  • There have been a few instances where the system doesn't center quite right and I begin to ping pong within the lines. Not as bad as the old lane keep assist of 2019 but a different system.
  • Poor lane marking means lane centering wont work.

What is everyone's thoughts on the lane centering so far? Have you found things you like or dislike about the Eyesight System?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not sure what to think of Lane Centering just yet. On the interstate I seem to fight it more than anything due to windy conditions. I also prefer to drive closer to the outside of a lane rather than right down the middle. If I'm passing a semi, I want as much space between it and me. And today when I was driving right into the sun, it kept turning off because I'm sure it couldn't see the lines.

But there are times when it isn't windy that I've enjoyed it and thought it was wonderful.

I've never had a vehicle with this type of functionality before so I don't know how much of it is that I need to get used to it and not expect too much. I can't compare it to anything else. At least there's a button on the steering wheel to turn it off! :)

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
155 Posts
Some thoughts:
  • When lane centering works, it works great. As you point out, there are various conditions in which it won't function or it ping-pongs. This is especially true when driving in to the sun.
  • I've also noticed that it "pulls" toward one side or the other of the lane. It isn't always centered. I wish I had the ability to slightly adjust it one way or another.
  • At slower speeds it follows the car in front of me. It doesn't seem to need the lines. I love the feature in heavy traffic. It is amazing, and has already turned rush hour in to a totally tolerable experience instead of the foot cramp inducing pain it was. Just for this feature alone, I'd buy the Outback again.
  • If there is a complex traffic pattern with lots of lines it can get confused and veer off the "right" path. You need to be paying attention.
  • It is a driver assist system, not full driverless. That said, it is so good it almost feels like driverless at times. Makes me wonder what the 2030 Outback will be like! The technology is wonderful.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,675 Posts
Some thoughts:
  • At slower speeds it follows the car in front of me. It doesn't seem to need the lines.
So if the car in front of you goes off the cliff, you'll be right behind him going down? :oops:
Please don't try this, you would not be able to report back anyway.
I hope not. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 489 Posts