Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
441 - 460 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
372 Posts
Just hope the person in the car in front of you isn't on their phone as they go around a curve....

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
One of the warning pictures in the manual is similar to that! Lol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Have a 2021 Crosstrek loaner. Nice. Not for me now. If I were travelling for business again... strong maybe. Premium trim(? has a key, halogen lights, fogs, manual seats, color LE, dash, Xmode/SI Button, no BSD/RCTA, but Geolander 225/60 R17 tires)... except for the sun visor. That really could be a show stopper considering how blinded I felt in the evening. Someone wasn't thinking and the extender only goes towards the rear view... but I digress.

The physics of the car are different. I know but...

But I finally saw Lane Centering with no lines work.

Scared the bejeezuz out of me.

Both left and right line gone in the display, but the clear blue square of a target lock on front in me (OB doesn't have that... I could pretend I had missles...).

Stop and go traffic and really not sure if I was going to stay in my lane as the idiot in front of me swayed over. My OB has never done that in a no lines situation. LC always switches off.

Same roads I drive every day. Perhaps they are tuned differently, but the eyesight behaves differently. Never had the no eyesight symbol in the morning dark while drive (could not see road)... crosstrek did, never had the "obstacle detected help me brake" warning so abruptly, LC felt a little more yo-yo after a turn. That feature I just talked about above? Same road and traffic every day, there are faint lines, the OB sees them. The crosstrek did not.

Just adding thoughts.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can’t stand lane centering most of the time. The wheel is constantly wiggling back and forth in my hand. It’s annoying. I did get an alignment and wildpeaks in 235/60 18 recently and overall the system seems to work a little better. I think the balloon like stock tires created a lot of unwanted movement.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Used LC today on the Turnpike going to work for around 10 miles. Worked great. Starting to trust the system a little more. My subconscious steering inputs were fighting the car. Was much smoother and didn’t ping pong on me at all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah. You have to be aware. it decides to quit when it wants to quit or if you’re in a lane when somebody merges in front of you (on ramps). I definitely stay hyper involved when there’s somebody right next to me cause I don’t like how it hugs the inside of a turn. All this, while I’m watching people who are driving halfway over the line so.... why do I feel bad to actually be in my lane? Lol.

But for when I’m not in a rush or slow moving sort of slinky moving traffic it’s great.

Edit: voice-to-text fixing.

Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,442 Posts
Have a 2021 Crosstrek loaner. Nice. Not for me now. If I were travelling for business again... strong maybe. Premium trim(? has a key, halogen lights, fogs, manual seats, color LE, dash, Xmode/SI Button, no BSD/RCTA, but Geolander 225/60 R17 tires)... except for the sun visor. That really could be a show stopper considering how blinded I felt in the evening. Someone wasn't thinking and the extender only goes towards the rear view... but I digress.

The physics of the car are different. I know but...

But I finally saw Lane Centering with no lines work.

Scared the bejeezuz out of me.

Both left and right line gone in the display, but the clear blue square of a target lock on front in me (OB doesn't have that... I could pretend I had missles...).

Stop and go traffic and really not sure if I was going to stay in my lane as the idiot in front of me swayed over. My OB has never done that in a no lines situation. LC always switches off.

Same roads I drive every day. Perhaps they are tuned differently, but the eyesight behaves differently. Never had the no eyesight symbol in the morning dark while drive (could not see road)... crosstrek did, never had the "obstacle detected help me brake" warning so abruptly, LC felt a little more yo-yo after a turn. That feature I just talked about above? Same road and traffic every day, there are faint lines, the OB sees them. The crosstrek did not.

Just adding thoughts.
What you describe in your Crosstrek loaner is exactly how our 20 Outback works, so not sure why yours doesn't. In the absence of lane lines ours will track the car ahead, but if there is even one lane line that takes priority. Ours has the vehicle ahead target lock in the display just like you described. It almost sounds like you're using LKA and not LC, as the two are very similar yet very different in the way they function. LC only works with active cruise control and is turned on and off with the lower right button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I actually managed to trigger it just the other day but I think it might be a more narrow set of circumstances? I think the 2021 Outback or each of the models are tuned differently. I would swear the Outback saw lines the Crosstrek couldn't see or at least openly reacted to them...

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,442 Posts
I actually managed to trigger it just the other day but I think it might be a more narrow set of circumstances? I think the 2021 Outback or each of the models are tuned differently. I would swear the Outback saw lines the Crosstrek couldn't see or at least openly reacted to them...
It is amazing how our 20 tracks lines that our 19 didn't, notwithstanding the 19 only had LKA and not LC. The times ours tracks the vehicle ahead and not the lines is very small. As an example, in stop and go traffic ours will track the vehicle ahead til about 5mph and then starts tracking the lane lines. In those rare circumstances where there are no lane lines at all ours does track the vehicle ahead just fine and shows the little target lock on picture in the center custer you were describing before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy
When using the lane assist feature I feel as though the car tends to favor the right side of the lane. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It is a bit unnerving when Passing a vehicle on a highway.
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
372 Posts
Yes, this has been discussed before in connection with lane centering (used with adaptive cruise control) as opposed to lane keep assist (which stops you from drifting over the lane lines). With lane centering, some of us have sensed improvement by switching the setting for the side of the road one drives on from right (default) to left -- although the manual warns of possible (but non-specific) problems this may cause.

While there is a widespread sense that the car favors the right side of the lane with lane centering, to my knowledge it has never been verified (e.g. by a chase car filming from behind) whether this Outback actually drives other than in the dead center of the lane. It is possible that the car is in fact centered and the driver's sense that the car is favoring the one side of the lane or the other is caused by driver parallax error. On the other hand, this would tend to be contradicted by the fact that some of us sense improvement by switching the setting from right to left and the fact that such a setting even exists.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, this has been discussed before in connection with lane centering (used with adaptive cruise control) as opposed to lane keep assist (which stops you from drifting over the lane lines). With lane centering, some of us have sensed improvement by switching the setting for the side of the road one drives on from right (default) to left -- although the manual warns of possible (but non-specific) problems this may cause.

While there is a widespread sense that the car favors the right side of the lane with lane centering, to my knowledge it has never been verified (e.g. by a chase car filming from behind) whether this Outback actually drives other than in the dead center of the lane. It is possible that the car is in fact centered and the driver's sense that the car is favoring the one side of the lane or the other is caused by driver parallax error. On the other hand, this would tend to be contradicted by the fact that some of us sense improvement by switching the setting from right to left and the fact that such a setting even exists.
I have noticed this as well. I tend to drive center left while the car favors center right....It's a struggle!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring - Cinnamon Brown Pearl
38 Posts

2021 OB Touring, owned for 3 months. I've tried LC and like it. My driving is mostly local streets but I also do some freeway driving around town, trips of 20-30 mi on freeway with moderate traffic. I've found there is a lane bias, either right or left depending on how you set it. I think this is to support the "global" platform concept for driving in righthand or lefthand drive countries (i.e. Japan or Australia) but that's just my guess. In any case I set mine to favor the left because I only activate it on freeways and I always use the left(mostly) or center lanes unless entering or exiting. I've been driving for over 55 years and I can tell with LC on the car does have lane bias and since I'm in the left lane I have more room between me and accompanying traffic with only the emergency lane to my left. I like the cushion.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
475 Posts
Howdy
When using the lane assist feature I feel as though the car tends to favor the right side of the lane. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It is a bit unnerving when Passing a vehicle on a highway.
Thanks, Dan
Yeah I had one instance where LKA wanted to steer me dangerously close to a semi in the next lane on a curve.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,265 Posts
I changed mine from right to left after my wife complained I was driving too close to the semis. When driving in the single HOV lane this option change may move one close to the center wall at times. One section, east part, of the west bound 210 has almost a double wide HOV lane. My lane centering was adjusted to lock on the right at the time but the LC could not lock on both right and left at the same time. LC ended up locking onto the left lane markers even though it was set to follow the right-hand side.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
365 Posts
I've tried both settings (DOL DOR) and honestly can't tell the difference - tho I want it to be right of center to keep me closer to the right outside of the road.

I wish somehow one of us could verify this - chase car I suppose, because it could just be parallax.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,265 Posts
I've tried both settings (DOL DOR) and honestly can't tell the difference - tho I want it to be right of center to keep me closer to the right outside of the road.

I wish somehow one of us could verify this - chase car I suppose, because it could just be parallax.
Under certain conditions when driving during rain you can see your tracks with your rearview mirror. Seems to be best driving at highway speeds and little traffic.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
365 Posts
I decided today to turn it off on 2 way roads when cars are coming the other way - too close to center for my comfort or fighting it for control.

Reactions: russellpat

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,513 Posts
I just used lane-centering/active steering on a short 300-mile trip. It seems to work ok, with a little more ping pong effect than I like on a straight road. It did turn off once on a long sweeper curve that suddenly had faded lines. It told me several times to keep my hands on the wheel when I deliberately forced it over a line. I will use it at times. This car is much more pleasant to drive my 2017 OB limited. Tracks much better, quieter and rides better.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
351 Posts
The ping pong effect is mentioned at the owner's forums and attributed to tire balance and alignment. My car is perfectly straight and handles curves with no issues. The display shows you if it can see one or both lines. I touch the steering wheel occasionally to keep the warnings at bay.

441 - 460 of 489 Posts