Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
461 - 480 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
67 Posts
I wonder how much of the cost of the OB is associated with the lane centering feature. Its certainly something I could do without.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,519 Posts
The ping pong effect is mentioned at the owner's forums and attributed to tire balance and alignment. My car is perfectly straight and handles curves with no issues. The display shows you if it can see one or both lines. I touch the steering wheel occasionally to keep the warnings at bay.
Alignment and balance? Perhaps. in my case, I did not take my hands off the wheel at any point. I did use a light touch. I will continue to observe and learn.

Reactions: David in Norcal

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,266 Posts
I have no noticeable ping-pong. Ping-pong is expected in lane keeping but should not be observable when in an OB using lane centering cruise control.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in the middle of a 1700 mile road trip and we used lane centering /adaptive cruise for about 80% of the whole trip. I keep my hands gently on the steering wheel most always and my feet on the floor and find the car adequately in center of lanes ( not perfect but I’ve grown to trust it to Re - center the car each time it pings a bit ). Driving Interstate 95 often in bad traffic. Terrific challenge for adaptive cruise. Awesome response. I am totally relaxed after hours and hours of driving. This is a game changer. And I am consistently getting 29.7 mpg ‘s on a 2020 Outback XT Touring because I use adaptive cruise . Fabulous riding car .

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
Mind tracks relatively straight too. There will be times when there's some kind of understeer or oversteer but a large part of that is due to speed or changing curve.

When it successfully navigate an S sometimes there's a little bit of a ping-pong in the middle as it reads the rest of the road.

I don't particularly like how it hugs line as it turns but I generally don't have any issues.

If you really want to switch lanes without fighting with it just turn on your signal it disengages lane-centering.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am in the middle of a 1700 mile road trip and we used lane centering /adaptive cruise for about 80% of the whole trip. I keep my hands gently on the steering wheel most always and my feet on the floor and find the car adequately in center of lanes ( not perfect but I’ve grown to trust it to Re - center the car each time it pings a bit ). Driving Interstate 95 often in bad traffic. Terrific challenge for adaptive cruise. Awesome response. I am totally relaxed after hours and hours of driving. This is a game changer. And I am consistently getting 29.7 mpg ‘s on a 2020 Outback XT Touring because I use adaptive cruise . Fabulous riding car .
Adaptive cruise has its place, not for everything, and I also love it. With MPG in mind, when I see traffic slowing or stopping ahead I hit the on/off cruise button; The reason for this is that the car will continue to keep its set speed until it decides to slam on the breaks. As a sidebar, setting the following distance at two or more bars will provide a better and smoother breaking. I also turn it off when getting ready to take an offramp. Turning off the cruise will allow a more normal human behavior besides getting back some of the car's kinetic energy. The breaks will also benefit. Once the traffic begins to move you should hit the lever once and then the cruise control will assume the same speed setting in use prior to being rendered inactive. Stepping on the break changes things not covered here.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
371 Posts
Mine ping pongs very little - my 2017 only had LKA and it ping ponged badly, enough for me to consider it useless, and at times, dangerous. (Bicyclist on the shoulder)

Centering I use a lot..

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This OB lane centering was not intended to be used without driver intervention. This is not a Tesla where a driver was reported sleeping; It is a Subaru where the driver is required to always be in control. Example includes that every minute or two it wants to feel a driver will move the steering wheel a little until resistance is felt in the steering wheel system. The lane centering works well but may fail so if the driver has experience using lane centering they will know when to expect problems. My first experience was on the freeway at dusk when I was forced into a merge. At the same time there was an incline and heavy fast moving traffic. I had to fight the steering wheel and use the brake peddle to turn-off the cruise. So now I know to turn it off during some curves, merges, changes in lighting, where breaking is going to be required and I am going fast, and any situation I don't want a non AI system making decisions for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently did a 4 hr drive and it had so much ping pong w ACC that I had to turn it off even though it was showing both lanes. Also, really scary when getting super close to big trucks. I constantly had to correct it so I ended up turning it off as it was making driving unnecessarily complicated. I just thought the systems was bad but now I'm thinking maybe there is something I can do about it.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I have found there to be less ping pong w/ lane ctr when used in combination w/ ACC and Lane departure.
I thought LC didn't work without ACC turned on, hmmm, have to test that!

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
It doesn't.
You're absolutely correct - I just tested it, no lane centering without Cruise on, however it does still do Lane Keep Assist (over 40 mph), which ping ponged me. I tried every combination of buttons but no go on LC.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lane keep assist isn’t meant to be lane centering. It’s just to keep you within the lines when it looks like you might go over.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium (sold) ‘22 Wilderness OTW
61 Posts
I usually turn off the lane centering function. There are times when it actually works pretty well, but most of the time you end up bouncing back and forth between the lines.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just don’t experience that. I think someone in this thread made a suggestion that maybe it had to do with an alignment or unevenly inflated tires.

I turn it off when I’m next to a rig, But I simply don’t ping-pong.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Lane keep assist isn’t meant to be lane centering. It’s just to keep you within the lines when it looks like you might go over.
I know, tho was surprised both systems are on my car - I had thought that LC had replaced LKA - but they both work

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
249 Posts
Doing some driving from BR to NOLA and back, and I think I figured out the 'it dives at 18 wheelers' issue.

It doesn't dive at them if you have lane centering on. Instead, almost every driver moves AWAY from the 18 wheeler (thus out of center) and the lane centering just wants to nudge you back to center. But psychologically(?) we perceive that as dangerously close, and 'diving'. It's not, it's the same centering correction you get any other time you drift right or left.

I tested it against 3 diff trucks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh... I think that is true... They simply scare the... out of me.... I do not enjoy looking at wheel wells... or on occasion those drivers that use the Ben-Hur lug nuts....

And apparently, the real name is "scythed chariot wheel nuts"

Reactions: jes2

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
351 Posts
Since I typically pass 18-wheelers on the right of me, I found that when the lane centering option is engaged, the car is still too close to the big rigs for my comfort. I read changing the LC settings to "Right -hand Drive" keeps the car slightly to the left of the lane instead of a right side preference. Gives you a bit more room when passing the big rigs. Works for me.

461 - 480 of 489 Posts