Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
481 - 489 of 489 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
371 Posts
I tried that and didn't really notice the difference - maybe I need to try again

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
351 Posts
It is very subtle but does seem to give you more space when passing rigs. If the truck is hugging the left side of their lane, I simply turn off the “steering” for a few seconds. Once I pass the truck, I turn it back on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh... I think that is true... They simply scare the... out of me.... I do not enjoy looking at wheel wells... or on occasion those drivers that use the Ben-Hur lug nuts....

And apparently, the real name is "scythed chariot wheel nuts"

View attachment 516049
I got sideswiped back in 2001 by a truck driver trying to switch from left to right who didn't see me. Rolled the car. I don't like to think about what would have happened had his wheel had lugnuts like those abominations on it.

·
Registered
2021 Outback 2.5 Limited
4 Posts
I just did a 600 mile drive and a few commutes to work. Overall pretty great system.

pros: in stop and go traffic it is great. Don’t have to really do anything with ACC and LC on. Also, If no one is around at high speeds, you can relax and zone out. It handles turns pretty well.

cons: it does seem to hug the right side. This is great if you’re in the right lane. However passing is a little too close for comfort so I turn it off to pass. Also I’ve seen a very subtle ping pong mostly to the right median and the center.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,443 Posts
cons: it does seem to hug the right side. This is great if you’re in the right lane. However passing is a little too close for comfort so I turn it off to pass. Also I’ve seen a very subtle ping pong mostly to the right median and the center.
Try "drive on left" to see if it is more centered for you rather than hugging the right side. That change has worked for many of us.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
I just did a 600 mile drive and a few commutes to work. Overall pretty great system.

pros: in stop and go traffic it is great. Don’t have to really do anything with ACC and LC on. Also, If no one is around at high speeds, you can relax and zone out. It handles turns pretty well.

cons: it does seem to hug the right side. This is great if you’re in the right lane.
My assessment almost word for word... passing not so much bother for me, but I would add this if you are new to it, highways, be careful of other people in front of you getting off on short off ramps, the car reads them as stopping.... and will slow down a lot abruptly as a consequence (ppl shouldn't be tailgating anyway ;) ). I use it in the right lane less as a consequence. And use the free time to threat hunt... that driver who will dive into your lane or following to closely so you can hit the gas or the brake in the right order....

btw, I do believe that my own follow distance is beginning to mimic the "follow distances" n the car...

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
274 Posts
Please let us know where you drive so we can be on the look out.:eek:

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premier GT & 2007 3.0R Outback LLBean
351 Posts
I’m wondering if the ping pong effect some folks experience could have something to do with the road width and/or road markings. It could be there isn’t a shoulder marker and the car has to rely on the single lane marker. I noticed the display changes when markers disappear. I have experienced some instances where the markers are completely worn away and the car beeps and disengages the LC.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
I’m wondering if the ping pong effect some folks experience could have something to do with the road width and/or road markings.
I believe so... single marker and it changes what it follows. No lane marking, going slow and following another car (when locked on) is also an issue on gentle curves...the car in front of you is slightly to the left or right.

Find a road that was recently redone and they have the temp lines which are not quite perfect and the car feels off as it tries to read the road. (after the construction!).

We also have a lot of tar lines on the road and when reads follow the lane markings I think it recognizes those "more" when the shine/glare/sun are just right.

Two other things, I suspect perhaps alignment and tire pressure (I am almost OCD about pressure and experience little if any ping-ponging)

And open window and or wind. I really think it behaves differently in wind and sometimes when the windows are open as it tries to adjust. But that is simply a perception.

Reactions: bloomz
481 - 489 of 489 Posts