Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some research for putting larger cross bars on our OB in hopes of getting kayaks one day and possibly wanting to take them on the roof with our cargo box. I looked at Yakima and Thule but I wanted to see what everyone's opinion was for types of bars, size to go with and I am assuming brand is really just preference as they are both pretty good reputable companies. Any input would be appreciated and especially if anyone has done the setup with a cargo box in the middle and two kayaks on J racks on either side. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
940 Posts
I had Yakimas new HD Bars in 55" on my Gen5 and looked to be as far as you might want to go before looks a bit too wide. I guess you "could" go 60" I am not thrilled how those look but may be functional for your needs.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
445 Posts
I was doing some research for putting larger cross bars on our OB in hopes of getting kayaks one day and possibly wanting to take them on the roof with our cargo box. I looked at Yakima and Thule but I wanted to see what everyone's opinion was for types of bars, size to go with and I am assuming brand is really just preference as they are both pretty good reputable companies. Any input would be appreciated and especially if anyone has done the setup with a cargo box in the middle and two kayaks on J racks on either side. Thanks!
I would recommend doing a search. “Cross Bars”, “Yakima”,”Thule” are good starts. The subjects been pretty well covered.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
165 Posts
If they're for the 2014 OB you'll want to go Yakima (Some sort of landing pad, I think #14 or something). The Thule fit for this generation of Subaru crossbars is a lot less secure. I spent a few years working at a rack shop and we did Yakima stuff on these about 95% of the time.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a cool set up I would have to see if I can fit two kayaks on there with the box but it looks do able

1 - 6 of 6 Posts