Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 OUTBACK 2.5I 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION, WHITE WITH BEIGE UPHOLSTERY
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get as much ground clearance as possible without actually lifting the suspension (this reduces the service life of the CV joints). The car is a 2014 Outback 2.5i with a manual trans. I'd like to go 225/75-R16. Has onyone tried to install this size a/t tire? Does it fit in the wheel wells without hitting anything? It's about 5% larger diameter than the stock 215/70-R16. And there is a good selection of a/t tires in this size. I also considered 215/75, but there are only a couple of tires made in this size and they are highway type, not a/t.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i; 2017 Outback Touring 2.5
44 Posts
Just keep this in mind. I went from stock ContiSuperSports to Michelin Defender LTX tires, keeping the same 215/70-R16 size. The Michelins are far superior and more rugged than the Contis, but they weigh 5 lbs more each. While that doesn't sound like that much, the inertial forces during a launch from a stop or acceleration while moving is quite noticeable. You will probably observe something similar by adding a non-stock size, and more if it's also an LTX non-stock tire. Just those extra 20 lbs, that the car's engine and drive axles are forced to rotate, made the car a little more sluggish. Back to your question: I think you might be coming close to rubbing during a full lock turn, because there really isn't that much room, and adding a different offset wheel to the mix might cause other problems. Most tire shops will post stock and alternate tire sizes. Have you tried TireRack to see what they offer as stock and alternate tire sizes?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts