Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I've broken about a half dozen 5MTs since swapping an EZ30 into my 99 Legacy Outback. This winter I plan on swapping a 6MT and R180 but in the meantime I'm just going to put a stock 5MT in it. I was thinking something fairly new and low mileage would probably last longer than another 20 year old trans with 100+k miles on it.
According to Wikipedia the 2012+ non turbo 5MT also has a 4.11 final drive, similar first, and taller fifth gear. Cars101 also says 12+ Imprezas have these ratios. 12-16 Impreza manuals seem to be all over for $500-800 with under 30k miles (even under 3k!) on them. Is the shifter, clutch, speed sensor, bellhousing, trans mount, driveshaft, axles, etc the same as my 1999? The ones I have seen pictures of (12-16 Impreza) have no axle stubs, would I need 12-16 front CV axles and would those fit my front hubs? Not worried about ABS, that's long gone on my car. I have plenty of axle stubs for the older 5MTs and at least one pair for a 4EAT, would those work? Car-part.com shows 12-13 do not interchange with 14-16, what is the difference?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
The newer 5MTs do not have a VSS provision on the bellhousing. Most of the 2005+ transmissions are this way, so you'll lose the speedo. Or adapt some sort of signal converter from the ABS unit for the cluster.

However, the transfer case driven gear (output shaft) is the same part number from 2000-2018, so I'd say you could use the existing driveshaft.

IIRC, blobeye WRX (03-04) axles have male inners and might be comparable in length to the OBW.

Otherwise, it should bolt-up. I would be cautious as to the "improvements" however, as the engine power and chassis weight were both decreased after 2012 (FB series engine and chassis). The turbo trans from 2005+ are generally considered the strongest aside from the 6MT.

Next best option might be the 6MT from the 2010+ Legacy GT. It's really a 5+1 MT (rather than the 3-shaft units from the STI and SpecB), but does have several case reinforcements and nice gearing. However, those are harder to find than the standard 6MT.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The newer 5MTs do not have a VSS provision on the bellhousing. Most of the 2005+ transmissions are this way, so you'll lose the speedo. Or adapt some sort of signal converter from the ABS unit for the cluster.

However, the transfer case driven gear (output shaft) is the same part number from 2000-2018, so I'd say you could use the existing driveshaft.

IIRC, blobeye WRX (03-04) axles have male inners and might be comparable in length to the OBW.

Otherwise, it should bolt-up. I would be cautious as to the "improvements" however, as the engine power and chassis weight were both decreased after 2012 (FB series engine and chassis). The turbo trans from 2005+ are generally considered the strongest aside from the 6MT.

Next best option might be the 6MT from the 2010+ Legacy GT. It's really a 5+1 MT (rather than the 3-shaft units from the STI and SpecB), but does have several case reinforcements and nice gearing. However, those are harder to find than the standard 6MT.
Pictures I've seen on car-part show a plug or hole where the VSS would be on my 99. I've been told on another forum that I can split the case and put a VSS sender gear in. That dropping in and the shaft having the spiral gear cut on it might be wishful thinking.
Same person told me '04 STI 6MT stubs would fit the front diff.
I didn't really expect it to be a stronger design, just thinking an order of magnitude fewer miles and years on the trans should give me more time before it breaks.
I am not sure about the turbo trans, but I thought those had a 3.90 final drive.
The 2010+ LGT supposedly has a 4.44 final drive and I think those transmissions have cable shifters.
Trying to stick to a 4.11 so it's as bolt in as possible.
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
I've seen the same inferences about the VSS hole and spiral cut shaft, but nothing confirming it. All I see is the 3-4 cluster gear (the part with the spiral grooves) stops at 2004 in Subaru's catalog for Imp, Foz, Lego, Baja. It could also mean the 3-4 is just different for 05+, but does still include the grooves.

The final drive on the turbo trans depends on the application:

02-03 WRX had a 3.90 front, but 3.545 rear due to the 1.1:1 transfer gear
04-05 WRX had 3.90 front/rear
05+ OBXT had 4.444
05+FXT had 4.111? IIRC

The 10+ LGT is cable shift, but there's a few workaround out there. Either way, they aren't exactly cheap nor plentiful.

Edit: Found this picture for 2005+ trans for the 3-4 cluster gear, 32214AA740.

Looks like there MIGHT be some grooves cut? Hard to tell.. But it does fit Baja and some 04 Imp wagons, so there's hope it's there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.