Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,270 Posts
oh, i'm not trying to make out like the customer is automatically sinless in this enterprise.

But it seems a bad money making venture to engage in these tactics. Maybe its just because social media is still catching up to some of this, but a business that doesn't understand that its reputation is almost as valuable if not equal to all the other operations of business combined.

Its not that a business needs to necessarily please every customer, but its really a bad idea to engage in behavior with any one customer in a way that will @[email protected]$ up how you engage with all other customers going forward.

Its just not worth it. and its not worth it at multiple levels of analysis, not just one.

So! Any dealerships reading this: you can either bank on low expectations of how terrible your customer thinks you are and expects to be treated, and eat a never ending cycle of negative consequences in anticipation that you can handle the load (and see how long that remains true in the social media age), or you can operate on good faith and let bad customers just walk away, and let missed opportunities stay missed instead of escalate into a bad faith close.

is it worth it to lose a family of sales for the next 10 years just to make one sale?

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
334 Posts
Put Las Vegas Subaru in the latter catgpry. They pulled that crap on me on my 2015.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The more I've thought about it the more I think this is just a practice by dealerships to stick it to other dealerships. A dealership that gives a ridiculous lowball quote knowing that they cannot deliver on what's promised knows that if another dealership is willing to match the quote to get a sale they will have a take a loss to sell a vehicle they would have no problem selling otherwise, let alone for the current market value.

I had a guy contact me yesterday sharing that he got a quote that I thought was unrealistic to expect to be honored, I asked him to email me the details but nothing has come over the past 24 hours even though I have a read receipt for the email sent. He's talking me up about how he's about to close a deal on with the dealership with the price quoted yet he's still making contact with other dealerships in his area talking them up on the same thing. If the deal is so great and why has he yet to do the deal? Why is he still stringing other dealerships along?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts