·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Sounds like a crock. The windshield on my wife's '17 Forester has cracked twice. Each time it was the result of a small impact. Each time it was replaced by our car insurance, no out of pocket expense to us. Eyesight was calibrated and works correctly.

The only ones that make out like a bandit on class action suits is the attorneys.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a crock. The windshield on my wife's '17 Forester has cracked twice. Each time it was the result of a small impact. Each time it was replaced by our car insurance, no out of pocket expense to us. Eyesight was calibrated and works correctly.

The only ones that make out like a bandit on class action suits is the attorneys.
So you think that because your insurance is paying to replace it it's "FREE"? I am in Florida by law if happens to me I get a "FREE" windshield too. Exempt it's not FREE it's costing insurance company money which it then makes up for in higher premiums so we all pay more because Subaru has a defective windshield.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
So you think that because your insurance is paying to replace it it's "FREE"? I am in Florida by law if happens to me I get a "FREE" windshield too. Exempt it's not FREE it's costing insurance company money which it then makes up for in higher premiums so we all pay more because Subaru has a defective windshield.
My wife's windshields were not free. We pay to have comprehensive glass coverage on our auto insurance.

We understand that glass breaks so it is good to insure against it. Apparently there are those that have never learned that fact.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Shucks the last time somebody with an MBA 'splained this to me there is a "common risk pool" so even when the other person's 'surance pays, some of the money is coming out of what I payed in my 'surance premium.

No free lunch. Go figure. :unsure:

·
Registered
921 Posts
As far as class actions go, I'm not ready to write them all off as unjustified.

Toyota fought one, and lost, that's how I got my crumbly dashboard cover replaced in one of their cars, that I owned several years ago. Without the lawsuit, I'd have had a salvage value resale car, or in my mechanic's est. a $3000 P&L bill to replace on my own. I recall at the time seeing other Toyota cars on parking lots, it was a number of Toyo models over a number of model years, with the same cracks and crumbles. Hence the class action.

BTW there was IIRC some kind of dashboard cover campaign in an earlier gen OB/Leg, how did that turn out and did it result from a lawsuit?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,372 Posts
There are lawsuits against pretty much anything one can think of.

Only like a quarter of them are successful.

Talk to a lawyer off the books and they'll tell you they want it to go on forever because they're paid by the hour.

I wouldn't assume something is an issue because it had a lawsuit against it.

That said, weren't earlier Gen 5s found to have defective windshields?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,414 Posts
I don't doubt that windshields are being made lighter and may be more subject to cracking or chipping, but defective? I would have to see the percentages as to how many of them are cracking with no apparent impact damage. We hear about a lot of them here for obvious reasons but I bet the overall percentage is pretty low. 32 months now with mine and no cracks, chips or errors. Of course now that I said that I'm sure I will go outside tomorrow to see a crack across the entire windshield.:sick:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Yep, just look at the recent class action suit against Starkist tuna. There was a class action suit over Starkist under filling 5 ounce cans.

The settlement reached was $25 cash or $50 in coupons. Of course the actual amounts depended upon how many folks filed claims. I got my settlement a couple week ago....hot dang,$5 off on a one time purchase of 3 cans or more.

Which is typical of most class action settlements. The consumer rarely win....but the attorneys do great.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,014 Posts
Some class actions are truly based on situations where the consumer has a legitimate complaint.

Some probably really are just a crock and are pushed by whiney unknowledgeable consumers and unscrupulous attorneys who find it difficult to earn a living in another practice.

The legal system has to put on blinders and slog through each one without prejudice. And this takes time and is grossly inefficient.

But how bad would things be if we had no provisions in our laws for consumers to group together and seek redress from corporations that have many more resources to deal with the legal system?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,414 Posts
But how bad would things be if we had no provisions in our laws for consumers to group together and seek redress from corporations that have many more resources to deal with the legal system?
Then we would just have to resort to arson when we are wronged. Still grossly inefficient yet at the same time far more rewarding in some ways.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
385 Posts

Only like a quarter of them are successful.

Talk to a lawyer off the books and they'll tell you they want it to go on forever because they're paid by the hour.

I wouldn't assume something iSubarus an issue because it had a lawsuit against it.

That said, weren't earlier Gen 5s found to have defective windshields?
Subaru lost a legal action in California in regard to spontaniously crackin of windshield. Mine cracked without any obeject hitting it. Claim denied by Subaru. Insurance dedictable was $500.00. Subaru fixed it as goodwill after they were shown a copy of the California action.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
385 Posts
Some class actions are truly based on situations where the consumer has a legitimate complaint.

Some probably really are just a crock and are pushed by whiney unknowledgeable consumers and unscrupulous attorneys who find it difficult to earn a living in another practice.

The legal system has to put on blinders and slog through each one without prejudice. And this takes time and is grossly inefficient.

Having been involved with a spontaniously cracked windshield , I know for certain that Suabru will do all they can to avid paying legitimat claims. They replace with the same crappy windshield as they did with the crappy battery. They then re worte the warranty to deny further claims.
They lost the windhield case in the Northern Distict of California Legal Action. The windshield and battry are the reason I will not risk buying another Subaru.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The windshield on our 2017 Outback failed and had to be replaced, cause unknown. Since we have Eyesight, the cost was about $900. Insurance didn't cover any of that, as that is below our deductible. If it turns out that was a manufacturing defect rather than just random bad luck, I wouldn't mind seeing that covered by Subaru. Records shouldn't be a problem as they did all the work of fixing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback 3.6R and caught a small rock on my way to the dealer to get my oil changed. The chip turned into a crack and the crack traveled up the windshield. I had just moved from Florida to Tennessee and didn’t know that I would have to pay my deductible of $1,000. To make a long, painful story short...the total cost of replacement and recalibration was over $1,100. Within TWO weeks of getting a new windshield, I caught another small rock and the windshield chipped. Prior to this car, I owned a Dodge Caliber for 13 years, drove it 103k miles and had to replace the windshield one time due to a flying rock on the highway. My initial thought was it’s the thickness of the glass or angle of the windshield that is making my car susceptible to cracking when pinged by stones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Small rock cracked my windshield 3 months after buying it, when the glass place tried to fix it it spiderwebbed across the whole thing. My state doesn't mandate free glass coverage, so there's $500 to replace. 2 weeks after replacing it I caught another small rock and bam, another good sized chip. Filled in ok but a few weeks ago took another rock and got two more chips from it.

I'll be on my third windshield (at $500 a pop) in less than 3 years of owning the thing. Meanwhile, my '01 RS is still rocking the factory glass almost 20 years later... I love Subaru, I'm an Ambassador, but that glass is TRASH.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts