Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been chasing a front end rattle, changed sway bar links and bushes, inner and outer tie rods with no success. Checked the rearmost bush in the front control arms and found a good half inch of vertical movement on both sides. Zero movement front to back. I guess these bushes are designed to give a little but how much movement is acceptable?

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,140 Posts
You have bushes under your Subbie? Perhaps you should trim them!

On a more serious note what you are asking about is bushings.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
795 Posts
I don't have a spec number for you, but that just doesn't sound right. You'd best get it checked by a real mechanic.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,061 Posts
Red Subaru,

Note that the OP is from the UK. In that part of the world, the correct terminology is indeed "bushes".

Now, back to our regular programming.

Reactions: traildogck

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys. Gonna get it checked, just thought that if the movement I'm seeing was not normal, I could have got parts first and just got them changed. Sorry about the bushes/bushings thing, at least I didn't mention pants or fannies, then we'd really get confused!!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
I am happy that you "got it sorted". No reason to mess your nappies over it.

I hope the bushes were checked with the car in the air. 2nd, fore-aft movement is very hard to effect. You need a large impact (or crowbar) to simulate a wheel impact in those directions.

1/2" sounds like a lot. More than my car and I am replacing with these this weekend. I am excited to see what these are like. I have utilized several aftermarket bushes, and these are a new design.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look interesting traildogck. I will probably just get the standard ones plus the ball joint as well, may as well do them all.

Don't know what the nappy reference means?, but thanks for the help.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
I don't understand how I messed my nappy/ diaper?
You didn't...

I am Pennsylvania ******* ... My ignorant *ss was just throwing out all of the odd phases I know from the UK.

I don't know how to phonetically spell...shed-duuuaaael. Or I would have incleded that also. But I guess sked-ul makes less sense. That's the best I have on both.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry traildogck, no offence meant or taken. Being Welsh I too am probably the UK equivalent of a *******, and proud of it !

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6spd
29 Posts
What part number did you end up getting for what year?

I put 16-303's in my 2011 OB and the clearance on the bolt was just a little more than stock and I can't stop wondering if I bought the wrongs ones or what.

Seems to ride fine but I can't get it out of my mind and I don't want to get it aligned if I need to do it all over again. :crying::|:|:|:|

I am happy that you "got it sorted". No reason to mess your nappies over it.

I hope the bushes were checked with the car in the air. 2nd, fore-aft movement is very hard to effect. You need a large impact (or crowbar) to simulate a wheel impact in those directions.

1/2" sounds like a lot. More than my car and I am replacing with these this weekend. I am excited to see what these are like. I have utilized several aftermarket bushes, and these are a new design.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought aftermarket standard bushes/bushings. From 2005 on through to 2014 the parts are the same apparently. Had them fitted today and the rattling I was getting on uneven roads seems to be much reduced though I haven't been far. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT with lpg
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So......replacing the rear bushes on the front LCA has quietened the noise significantly, but it's still there. I am going to replace the other bush and the ball joint as well now, as this seems to be the area the noise is coming from. Should have done them all at the same time really, but I've been chasing this noise for a while, replacing parts to no avail, so was trying to keep wasted parts to a minimum.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
187 Posts
Any reason you didn't just get complete control arms with all new bushings? Might still be worth your time to replace them as a complete unit.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
187 Posts
Been chasing a front end rattle, changed sway bar links and bushes, inner and outer tie rods with no success. Checked the rearmost bush in the front control arms and found a good half inch of vertical movement on both sides. Zero movement front to back. I guess these bushes are designed to give a little but how much movement is acceptable?
How were you moving the control arms around? With your bare hand or prying on them with something?

I'm excited to see what you find as I have been chasing a rattle - maybe the same one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts